• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Service Activated Warranty

RadioFlyer

Right2Repair
Suzuki have introduced an extended warranty that is quite innovative. A "Service Activated Warranty".

"Launching to customers on April 3rd, Service Activated Warranty is offered once the car or motorcycle reaches the end of its manufacturer warranty period and is booked in for its next scheduled service within the Suzuki Dealer network. This warranty stays in place until the next qualifying service and is then simply renewed again up to a maximum vehicle age of 7 years / 100,000 miles for cars or 70,000 miles for motorcycles - whichever comes first."

https://media.suzuki.co.uk/en-gb/releases/841

This is a positive way to bring owners to the dealership for their service needs - much better than BMW's denial of service information so that one is left with little choice.

I think the Germans decided long ago that it’s possible to beat a carrot to a pulp with a stick… or something like that. :)

The info is appreciated, tho, as I’m thinking about picking up a DR650S since BMW no longer makes a thumper in that class.

Best,
DeVern

FWIW, I had a DR650, purchased new, that was a disappointment from the beginning. A surging issue that would make me sorta “car sick” when ridden. Local dealer was weak, Suzuki corporate was ineffective. It cost me a couple of hundred to have the long time Honda dealer straighten it out. After it was missing and “under repair” at the Suzuki dealership for a couple of months, I lost faith and moved up to the F800GS.
If they would make the move to fuel injection, it would probably solve the problem.
OM

I didn't see anything saying this was international... is it, or is this for Great Britain only?

I didn't see anything saying this was international... is it, or is this for Great Britain only?

Given that it was announced by Suzuki GB PLC it certainly has the appearance of being UK only. That being said it is being lauded by the moto press everywhere. One can only hope that it spreads.

Given that it was announced by Suzuki GB PLC it certainly has the appearance of being UK only. That being said it is being lauded by the moto press everywhere. One can only hope that it spreads.

From what I've read elsewhere, in the UK, all maintenance work needs to be done at the dealership or it voids the warranty. So, this seems to be a way to continue to get individuals coming back to the dealer for maintenance after the warranty has expired. Given that the laws are different here, I'm not so sure we'll see it here.

From what I've read elsewhere, in the UK, all maintenance work needs to be done at the dealership or it voids the warranty. So, this seems to be a way to continue to get individuals coming back to the dealer for maintenance after the warranty has expired. Given that the laws are different here, I'm not so sure we'll see it here.
Incorrect.

For example Honda UK says:

"However, we cannot limit our customers to use only Honda authorised dealerships. In order for the warranty to be kept valid in case you decide to use non-Honda dealership, the following requirements should be met: the dealership has to be VAT registered, as Honda might require written proof of the service in the future in any case, only Honda genuine parts to be used and Honda service and maintenance procedures to be followed."

Other manufacturers have responded to the question with less demanding requirements.

It's a case of the manufacturers adopting an aggressive posture but backing off when their feet are held to the fire.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Incorrect.

For example Honda UK says:

"However, we cannot limit our customers to use only Honda authorised dealerships. In order for the warranty to be kept valid in case you decide to use non-Honda dealership, the following requirements should be met: the dealership has to be VAT registered, as Honda might require written proof of the service in the future in any case, only Honda genuine parts to be used and Honda service and maintenance procedures to be followed."

Other manufacturers have responded to the question with less demanding requirements.

It's a case of the manufacturers adopting an aggressive posture but backing off when their feet are held to the fire.

I've been on sites where individuals in the UK say otherwise. Personally, I don't know for sure, but I would tend to believe those who live in that country.

I've been on sites where individuals in the UK say otherwise. Personally, I don't know for sure, but I would tend to believe those who live in that country.
Sometimes individuals get deceived by manufacturer BS.

From Chat GPT....

In the United Kingdom is it necessary to have all maintenance on a motorcycle done by the manufacturer's dealerships in order for the manufacturer's warranty to be valid?

In the United Kingdom, it is not necessary to have all maintenance on a motorcycle done by the manufacturer's dealerships in order for the manufacturer's warranty to be valid. The European Union Block Exemption Regulation 461/2010 allows independent repairers to carry out routine maintenance and repairs on vehicles without affecting the manufacturer's warranty. As long as the work is carried out in accordance with the manufacturer's specifications and using parts that are of equivalent quality to the original parts, the warranty remains valid. However, if a problem arises that is related to work carried out by an independent repairer, the manufacturer may require evidence that the work was carried out correctly and to the required standard.

FWIW, I had a DR650, purchased new, that was a disappointment from the beginning. A surging issue that would make me sorta “car sick” when ridden. Local dealer was weak, Suzuki corporate was ineffective. It cost me a couple of hundred to have the long time Honda dealer straighten it out. After it was missing and “under repair” at the Suzuki dealership for a couple of months, I lost faith and moved up to the F800GS.
If they would make the move to fuel injection, it would probably solve the problem.
OM

I’ve owned a couple of new DR650’s and have reason to suspect the later one was jetted leaner, as it seemed to run a bit warmer. Other than that, both bikes started and ran flawlessly. Although I never had to fiddle with jetting on either, it’s so easy to richen the mixture on a carbureted bike I’m surprised your dealers didn’t have you happily back on the road within an hour.

Regarding the extended warranty, if my experience with the DRs is any example, Suzuki isn’t risking much. If maintained, nothing much ever goes wrong with them.

No dog at this particular hydrant, but I keep seeing bits from ChatGPT pop up in a variety of fora. I’d caution against considering anything ChatGPT says as the gospel on anything, since it has shown itself quite capable of falsehoods or misinformation in the interest of spitting out a result to the user. Just sayin’…

The Mirror Test.

This new ChatGPT, and those that have to use it to lend validity to their statements, reminds me of when the GPS devices came out. People insisted on using the GPS for every trip, especially those trips that they take daily. :scratch

At least one knew where they stood with Zoltar ;)

OM

WOW. I'm only passing on information from people who live in the UK. No one on this forum lives in the UK, yet some seem to make statements like they are experts with regards to the legal system in the UK. I am not an expert here let alone there. Maybe the information is correct, maybe is wrong, maybe it's partially correct. But, those individuals are closer to the source they anyone here. That doesn't make what they say correct or incorrect--just someone with a better vantage point. That being said, believe what you want to believe.

Last edited:
Lest anyone somehow be swayed by a second hand report from unnamed individuals despite the words of Honda UK and the plain wording of the law itself (linked in post #11) here is the very text of the BMW Motorrad UK warranty. There is no requirement in the UK that that "all maintenance work needs to be done at the dealership or it voids the warranty".

BMW UK Warranty Excerpt.jpg

Back