• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Service Activated Warranty

There are laws/regulations/etc., and then there is how they are applied. I was told manufacturers often decline warranty items because the individual working on the bike were not "trained technicians." It's probably not an absolute here. There have been examples given where qualified technicians of a different manufacture were declined warranty because they were not trained on the specific brand they were working on. I've heard many people choose not to work on their own vehicles due to the high probability of a warranty item being declined.

RadioFlyer, we're just going to have to agree to disagree here. You don't live in UK, nor are you an expert in UK laws and regulations. So, should we consider your information second hand? This is all a moot point, since neither one of us lives in the UK.

Now, I'm going to do what we all should be doing instead. I'm going for a ride.

Last edited:
I love Zoltar. There is one at Leggs Inn at the end of the Tunnel of Trees in Michigan. What you get from Zoltar is better than some posts on this site.

We should have Zoltar at the BMW National Rally. Many are in need of advice.

I had a Suzuki DRZ 250 with a street legal kit and it was a tank. Just kept on rolling. Rode it twice to the Jack Pine Enduro, rode the enduro, rode home.

DRZ was great but comparing Suzuki corporate to BMW is like comparing apples to oranges. I always thought if Suzuki had a National Rally it would be outside a Dollar General store. Many years ago they would not give their national motocross team manager a three year contract so he jumped ship and now runs KTM North America. Roger.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449

DRZ was great but comparing Suzuki corporate to BMW is like comparing apples to oranges. I always thought if Suzuki had a National Rally it would be outside a Dollar General store.

I remember a restricted entry BMW corporate sponsored event attached to an RA rally out East many years ago (right next door on the other side of the link fence), and the Dollar General Store concept actually sounds better.

I remember a restricted entry BMW corporate sponsored event attached to an RA rally out East many years ago (right next door on the other side of the link fence), and the Dollar General Store concept actually sounds better.

This was the MOA rally in Bloomberg. I actually had a front-row seat to that CF, and ethics prevent me from telling the story publicly.

All I can say is that it was massively FUBAR. :nod

Let’s hope the service activated warranty idea catches on. While it requires the owner to provide at least proof of regular scheduled maintenance, it also incentivizes the manufacturer to actually build a product that will last the entire length of the extended warranty period. That’s a win-win for everyone involved. Now, if we can just get access to service manuals for those machines to insure all required maintenance is performed properly … Anyway, kudos to Suzuki for trying, it’s a step in the right direction.

Back