• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Dutch RT driver

Mike_Philippens

Certifiable User
Hi there! I just joined the BMW MOA and thought it would be nice to introduce myself properly to my 'new friends'.

I'm Mike, and I live in a galaxy far, far away: The Netherlands (that's Europe). Not in Amsterdam, but more near Rotterdam, in a very old town called Gorinchem. It's not big, but old and strategically important, hence the city walls and we used to have canons placed on them.

I own a BMW R850RT, which is my second Beemer. I used to have a K1100RS, which was my first BMW and second motorcycle. The first was a Yamaha Diversion 600 (Seca II in the US). All are great bikes. My current bike was a police bike, and they took very good care of it. It has +/- 160.000km on the clock and it doesn't rattle and hardly uses any oil. I just have to give her a spoonfull in between oil changes.

I did some traveling on this RT, most notabilly a trip to Morocco and back, which was a 7800km round trip. We did some mild offroad/allroad excursions. Morocco does have some good tarmac roads (but not great) and we chose some backroads intentionally to have a little adventure. The RT took it brilliantly, thanks to the HyperPro shocks and of course a good pilot ;)

For 2012 I have a new adventure on the planning board: I want to ship my bike over to the US and go on a road trip for 3 months or so. That's the main reason to join the BMW MOA: make new friends an hopefully get some good info on routes to take, what to see and what not. I have a very crude route, and I really don't want to plan it too precise. That's the reason I go for 3 months: I can take it easy and don't have to be there and there at a given time. Obviously I need some goals and a rough plan. I really like the backroads and scenic routes. If time is of an essence, I can cut time by using an interstate for a day to make some headway, but I like to take it easy.

Ok, I'll open a topic for my trip some time to see if my new friends can help me find my way through the US. I've been to the US twice: once on a trip from Chicago to New Orleans (did 3 days on a Harley on the R66...yeah!tourists!) and 2 years ago a week in NY. Now I need more... ;)

Maybe nice to include a pic of my bike:

_MG_0686.jpg by Ivo van Willigen, on Flickr
I'm standing because I just went over the finishline of the Alpe D'Huez in the French Alps. I was a volunteer to accompany people on a charity run on that mountain...on a pushbike (or is it a scooter?) That mountain is even a challenge on a RT!
The bike was white (duh! police colour) and I painted the cases myself (hence the difference in shade) and then put on the zebra stripe-stickers.

Last edited:
Hooi Mike,
Welkom !:clap
Ik woonde in Nederland, Noord Holland en sinds dit jaar ik woon in Michigan :D

Hooi Mike,
Welkom !:clap
Ik woonde in Nederland, Noord Holland en sinds dit jaar ik woon in Michigan :D
Leuk! Een vriend van me woont ook in Michigan (Grand Ledge). Hij is getrouwd in Holland... ;) (Michigan that is). Ik ben van plan om bij hem langs te gaan. Als ik er toch ben.

Welcome, Mike.

Sounds like a very exciting trip you have planned.

Where is your rough route taking you so far?

I spent a too short but otherwise splendid couple of weeks in Delft several years ago. I worked for Exact Software at the time.

Look me up if you're in Ohio.

Goede Dag!

Welcome Mike
Where is your route taking you? We live in a very scenic part of western Massachusetts and would welcome a visit from a fellow BMW enthusiast.
There may even be some Gamel Dansk in the cupboard.
Feel free to contact us if your route takes you this way.
Kelly and Frank

Thanks everybody for the kind invitations! Always good to know you have friends when you're a long way from home.

I'll make a new topic for my road trip with the route as it evolves. I just picked some places I want to visit on the map and let my Garmin program draw a route between those points. Sofar it came up with a route of 20.000kms (12,427mi)

Massachusetts is a state I cross. I start in New York (that's where the bike comes ashore) and plan to go up to Nova Scotia to do the Cabot Trail. After that I dive into Canada and go over/around/in between (not sure) the great lakes and through Michigan. I really need to pass Chicago (Berwyn to be precise). That's for a little joke: in 2000 I hired I HD over there and bought a HD t-shirt. Much later I noticed that on the back it says Illinios instead of Illinois, so I want to give it back...I wonder what their reaction will be ;)
After that I go to the west coast (along Deadwood) and then I turn zig-zagging in the direction of Florida, Key West. Along the way there are several places I want to go but the route is far from fixed.

I had to look up Gamel Dansk. I see it's Danish liquor. I don't know it, but it might be good.

Welcome aboard Mike, it sounds like you know how to make a trip enjoyable. At some point you will be receiving the BMW Owners Anonymous book. It is full of info that might be of interest such as someone who can help if you have a breakdown or need a place to camp/sleep for the night. Good luck, ride safe, Gary

At some point you will be receiving the BMW Owners Anonymous book. It is full of info that might be of interest such as someone who can help if you have a breakdown or need a place to camp/sleep for the night.
That's the thing that I like the most about the BMW MOA. It's a good feeling when you're a long way from home and have people nearby that can help you out when in need. One of the reasons I joined. And I hope to get some info on nice routes to ride.
Good luck, ride safe
I will, thank you!

Welcome to the Club, Mike

If your journey takes you through Texas hill country, stop in and say hi. Or, if you or your bike need rescued I can do that too. 830-822-7977 D.W.:bikes:bikes

Back