• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Dual sport tires for 04 1150R?

I've used the Shinko's 705's also on my 04 R1150R and 02 R1150R. We took the bikes on a 6,000 miles ride and I'm glad that was our tire choice. They handled fine in the dry and excellent in wet conditions. We were caught out in some heavy downpours causing flooding across the road and they handled while other bikes were washed off the road. They also gave good confidence when we took to dirt roads.

I should ad that they did give a rougher ride and the dry handling didn't have a great feel like a sports/touring tire does.
If I go to Alaska again it will be my tire of choice, good off road and the mileage is good also, 9,000.

Thank you for sharing your experience and opinion. I may put some 705s on my RT when these Roadsmart 4s wear out.

Funny you mentioned Dunlops RS4's. It's the tire I replaced the Shinko's with on my 04. They are an excellent tire also with excellent handling, long mileage and a great ride. They don't don't compare to the Shinko's off road feel however. If you only do pavement I'd stay with the Dunlop's. The Shinko's don't like high speed touring. If you like to stop and smell the roses and tour at 55mph Shinko's.

Back