• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Don't mess with old mountain men

osbornk

Old man in the mountains
(Hurley is where VA, KY and WV meet)

A Hurley, Va., man was sentenced Monday to 11 years in prison for a foiled burglary that ended with him getting shot in the arm and beaten nearly to death with his own baseball bat.

Justin Gregory Charles was 21, fairly large and addicted to drugs when he walked into his neighborÔÇÖs used car lot wielding a wooden bat in January 2010.

The neighbor, Hershel ÔÇ£KennyÔÇØ Justus, was 64 years old and had owned the car lot adjacent to his house for more than 20 years. He knew Charles well and had employed him for odd jobs a time or two.

Charles told Justus to take him to JustusÔÇÖ house and open the safe. Justus refused and instead wrestled the young man to the ground and pried the baseball bat out of his hands.

ÔÇ£He was calling me an old man while we were fighting,ÔÇØ Justus told the Bristol Herald Courier the day after the scuffle. ÔÇ£I told him, the next one he picks on better be older than me.ÔÇØ

Justus, who described himself as a small man, said he wanted to just knock the young, much larger man unconscious, but Charles kept getting back up and coming back at him.

Justus beat him until the bat broke into three pieces and the entire office was spattered in blood.

ÔÇ£You know if you canÔÇÖt knock somebody out with a baseball bat, heÔÇÖs gotta be crazy on drugs,ÔÇØ Justus said at the time.

But still Charles didnÔÇÖt give up. He lunged again and Justus grabbed his gun, shot him in the shoulder and called the police.

Charles was taken to Holston Valley Medical Center in Kingsport by helicopter. When he was released three days later, the Buchanan County SheriffÔÇÖs Office charged him with attempted burglary, attempted abduction and assault and battery.

Justus said he threw out his shoulder.

Charles was convicted on all charges and sentenced to the maximum for each for a total of 16 years. The court suspended five years of the sentence.

ÔÇ£This was a sad and very disturbing case,ÔÇØ said Buchanan County CommonwealthÔÇÖs Attorney Tamara Neo. ÔÇ£Charles was young at the time of his horrible actions and clearly involved with drugs for a long part of his short life. Everyone involved, even Mr. Justus, wants to see addiction, particularly of our youth, ended in this county.ÔÇØ

There is a book called Shadows in the Jungle about the Alamo Scouts in WWII. The opener is about an 80 year old man who gets mugged in a parking lot & takes out the perp in swift fashion. I love when old guys jack up young punks...

I spent time in that part of the world in my youth and all I can say is it was uncharacteristically generous of the old fellow to go so easy on the young knucklehead. Next time the he may get angry and not be so kind.

I spent time in that part of the world in my youth and all I can say is it was uncharacteristically generous of the old fellow to go so easy on the young knucklehead. Next time the he may get angry and not be so kind.

You're right. If you ever go to Hurley, you will appreciate where you're from--and it doesn't matter where you are from. People tend to disappear in that area and are never heard from again. Lots of abandoned coal mines around there.

As a native Kentuckian, I resemble that remark!

Okay, I'm actually from central KY, but I have spent time in that corner of the state. I'd have to say that if Mr. Charles had not been a neighbor and sometime employee of Mr. Justus, he would not have faired nearly as well as he did. Mr. Justus showed admirable restraint. :D

yeah don't

My folks were walking through the local mall one afternoon.There was an older couple in front of them.The man had to use a cane to get along.Three punks coming the other way bumped into the woman,knocking her off balance and she fell.As her husband was helping her up one of the punks laughed and called him a name.The old guy came up swinging his cane,catching p1 across the mouth and then spun on p2 and smashed his kneecap,putting them both on the ground in much pain.Dad and another guy grabbed p3 and held him til the cops got there to haul them off.Don't mess with old guys indeed. Ed

My barber is like that. 86 years old, a Marine vet of the Frozen Chosin, and a lifelong Golden Gloves coach. He opens his shop at 4am on Saturdays so the local farmers can get haircuts without losing precious daylight hours away from their farms.

He always starts his day by walking across the street to a 24hr gas station for a cup of coffee. One day he was accosted by a couple of young thugs looking for drug money. Rudy punched them both out and stuffed them into the only remaining telephone booth in town. Then he called the police from the gas station complaining that he needed to make a call but there were two young men "sleeping" in the phone booth.

I love that guy!

Y'all been watching too much "Justified" on TV!:laugh

Sadly, there are parts of the show I can relate to. My bootlegging uncle did some stuff.............................

Back to the original story. Hurley is in Buchanan County, Va. Years ago, a local man was put on trial for mudering another local man. It is a small isolated county and everyone knew both of the men involved and what kind of people they were. The defense put on a sham argument that the muder was self defense. However, the unsaid defense was "He needed killing". The jury found him "Not Guilty" and he walked out among friends.

Last nite we hit the DVR for the latest episode of Justified then topped it off with a dose of "Coal" which is the latest from the Deadliest Catch guy and the real Appalachian thing... Try it you'll like it:bow
I worked with a "man" that made several kinds of shine and his PHD brother inlaw took the goods to the capitol when needing a "favor". My friend and neighbor down the road used to make it and his Dad did a little time for shine activities.
As to Justified, I was bothered by it 1st watch then got into it and watch each episode now-I am a bit bothered by the outdoor scenes that have CA trees,etc., in them , so left wondering why they didn't come and help the local economy. My nephew(works at a coal tipple w his brother) watches it like a religion and lives/works where it is supposed to be taking place, so I tease him that I see him in the show. The accents are fairly good considering where they are shooting and where their from...

No one on the production crew eats possum... :cat

You hide your location so it's hard to tell if your a closet hillbilly or just a smartaleck? :scratch and get with the times, we eat junk food like most everybody else, well, almost everybody-we had delicious homemade grilled pizzas last nite with a tossed salad.:blah:blah:blah

You hide your location so it's hard to tell if your a closet hillbilly or just a smartaleck? :scratch and get with the times, we eat junk food like most everybody else, well, almost everybody-we had delicious homemade grilled pizzas last nite with a tossed salad.:blah:blah:blah

Smarty Pants... I prefer Smarty Pants.

I was alluding to the snooty elites... NOT the folks in Clay's Corner!

As for getting w/ the times...
50gasPrices.gif

I wouldn't be surprised if
opossum.jpg
is finding it's way back onto the table.

Back