• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

The Bicycling thread

The below pictures were copied from the Des Moines Register

Iowa Capital building
70473358007-0726-ragbraikk-032.jpg

Newton on Thursday
Newton on Thursday.jpg

Rippey on Tuesday
Rippey Tuesday.jpg

I saw this pool at Polk City on Wednesday. There was a sign next to the road saying feel free to get in. I wonder how nasty the water was at end of the day :)
Polk City pool.jpg

Slater Wednesday
Slater Wednesday.jpg

Tuesday morning
Tuesday.jpg

Leaving Ames Wednesday morning.
This day was good because it was only 55 miles and I could leave from my sister's house in Ames on the bicycle and got into Des Moines at 12:30 before the high temp of the day.
Wednesday Ames.jpg

Wednesday
Wed Day 4.jpg

When going through towns some had fire hydrants putting out a fine spray to cool off riders. A lot of home owners had hoses spraying riders.
Wednesday.jpg

Each town had water bottle refill stations. Entering or exiting most towns people would hand out bottled water you could grab on the fly and put in your back jersey pocket.
Water refill station.jpg

Lee, the RAGBRAI route was just released. Michelle and I signed up back in December. We've always wanted to do it - and this year we have a chance. Was wondering if you would be open to giving us some pointers? Our excitement pulled in a couple of long time friends (college!) who have done many bicycle adventures with us - but this will be the longest and farthest from home.

Almost 20 years ago I purchased a made-to-measure Marinoni..Columbus steel frame, Campy ergo 9 spd shifters, Campy Vento aero rims, Columbus Carve cf front forks, Scott cf handlebars..A supremely comfortable bike, I rode it lots for a few years..until I developed osteo-arthritis between my shoulder blades..and suffered a slipped disc in my lower back.
I might try riding it again this year, but at 70 it’s probably time to sell it..

Lee, the RAGBRAI route was just released. Michelle and I signed up back in December. We've always wanted to do it - and this year we have a chance. Was wondering if you would be open to giving us some pointers? Our excitement pulled in a couple of long time friends (college!) who have done many bicycle adventures with us - but this will be the longest and farthest from home.
I only do day rides when it's close enough I can sleep at home at night. Last year I did 3 days, the most I did was 4.
There used to be a forum which was handy for asking questions but that was ended this year. Maybe there's a Facebook site???
The first few days will be hilly. The first day in the Loess Hills will have some long steep grades. Be careful on the long downgrades when in a pack and watch for center-line cracks.
Most of the food vendors will be cash only so plan to hit a ATM every couple days.
Have some way to make your luggage easy to identify when it's in that mountain of other bags each day. You probably received info on what type of luggage you can use.
Do you plan to camp at the campsites or try to find guest homes to camp in their yards or in the hose?
Each pass through town will have water refill stations so don't worry about buying water during the day.
The food vendors travel the complete route so you might want to find churches and local organizations for meals at night so you don't get tired of eating the same food every day.
Plenty of bicycle shops travel with the route if your need a repair.
At the end of the ride there's shuttle companies that can haul you back to Glennwood for a fee. Will you drive out or fly?

I'll make a new reply as I think of more stuff.

Last edited:
Almost 20 years ago I purchased a made-to-measure Marinoni..Columbus steel frame, Campy ergo 9 spd shifters, Campy Vento aero rims, Columbus Carve cf front forks, Scott cf handlebars..A supremely comfortable bike, I rode it lots for a few years..until I developed osteo-arthritis between my shoulder blades..and suffered a slipped disc in my lower back.
I might try riding it again this year, but at 70 it’s probably time to sell it..

Bob, the bike sounds like a beauty - it sucks about the body issues and I hope you can give it another go.

Have you been trying to rehab at all? Any success? This year I'm adding much more strength training and yoga/stretching into my training but I won't know if it actually improves anything for a while.

Lee! Thank you!

Already - great info, especially about the cash and food situation.

We were thinking about both identification of bags and AirTags. We will be 'camping' but don't have any idea about the logistics.

We plan on driving out - and will have two cars. That is what we're thinking now, anyway.

(Never mind, I reread your post and you obviously have:) Have you seen the route? It is southern: Glenwood to Burlington. One of the shortest but the hilliest in history. Excellent!

Bob, the bike sounds like a beauty - it sucks about the body issues and I hope you can give it another go.

Have you been trying to rehab at all? Any success? This year I'm adding much more strength training and yoga/stretching into my training but I won't know if it actually improves anything for a while.
I’ve been rehabbing for a year and a half now with weights, yoga and massage to recover from a tank slapper that left me with 6 broken ribs, a broken & fractured shoulder blade, a punctured lung and a broken clavicle..
I’ll give it a try in the spring…

We will be 'camping' but don't have any idea about the logistics.
Free shuttles will be available to take you to town centers where vendors and bands are located.
Also, schools and gyms are opened to use showers.

If you like craft beer, Iowa Craft Beer has a tent setup each day in 2 different spots along the route.
They have a large selection of Iowa beers and the list changes each day.
Here's their website from last year.

Every time I post here I have to figure out how to do the pictures! And I've posted a lot of them.

Here are a few pictures of a short tour of Vermont that the future RAGBRAIers took in late October. It started in NY on the shores of Lake Champlain, went to Burlington and then a roundabout trek to Vergennes. It also included some riding in the foothills of the Adirondacks.

Ferry from Essex to Charlotte. The wind was whipping up the lake and it was NOT warm.
Ferry1.jpeg

View of the eastern Adirondacks from Vermont. We all took pictures of our bikes here - and a guy riding by decided it was worth the stop, too.

ADKs.jpeg

Some of the roads in Vt are in good condition:
VtRds.jpeg

And back home on Adirondack gravel:

BackHome.jpeg

I didn't include pictures of the beer drinking but we stopped at Fiddlehead, Switchback, Zero Gravity, Frost and Hired Hand breweries. It really is a beer lovers paradise, but did make the commute from ZG to our hotel in South Burlington in fairly heavy traffic a bit exciting.

I just noticed: the jersey Michelle is wearing is "Tip the cow stout" from SingleSpeed Brewing in Cedar Falls, Iowa. We stopped there on a motorcycle trip to the MOA national in DesMoines. She was really excited when the tapkeeper went digging through all of the jerseys he had and found an XS. Stout is her favorite.

Reactions: lee
I only do day rides when it's close enough I can sleep at home at night. Last year I did 3 days, the most I did was 4.
Well, Glenwood to Burlington probably puts Creston fairly close to the route for a day or two I would think.

Well, Glenwood to Burlington probably puts Creston fairly close to the route for a day or two I would think.
Hi Paul! The direct route would go right through Creston but the organizers decided to go north after the first day. The closest point of approach to Creston appears to be the middle of the third day. I'm going to trust Lee when he says it will be hilly.

I can do the first 3 days. I'm undecided. Last year was so crowded I was thinking of giving up on RAGBRAI.
In 2019 I thought the Winterset to Indianola day was bad with 40,000 riders, but last year a couple of days I rode was around 50,000 riders.
This year Winterset to Knoxville will probably be busy because it's close to Des Moines so there will be a lot of day riders.

With the new forum software you can now Copy and Paste pictures.
By Jove! He's right!

So away from all the odor of 50,000 cyclists riding through the heat that hits Iowa the last week of July, and off to less crowded trails.
(Group rides are fun, until the first time you have to stand in line for ice cream.)

Horse Prairie Stage Stop. Along the Great Divide Mountain Bike Trail.
(GDMBR - ~2800 miles Banff to Mexico, ridden this summer by a Australian member of the pro peloton in 12.5 days....)

If you're on the motorcycle Idaho 29 has a few miles of gravel road.
Run by an active military member with the help of Crazy Amy (great cook and sign maker) and others.

1706582286779.jpeg

1706582671353.png

1706582755672.jpeg
1706582789437.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: lee
Back