• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Findlay's Road - How One Man Rode Through 1916 to 2016

Shoganai

The story of a young man on a 1400-mile solo ride struck a special place in my heart years ago. Now, 100 years later I’m working to recreate his journey, which has become an ambitious adventure of my own.

I have been able to build 90% of this ride on ONLY roads he could have ridden in 1916!
This story will speak to everyone who has ever swung a leg over any type of motorcycle and I hope will inspire all riders!

On a cold summer’s morning in 1916, Charles K. Findlay unknowingly began a journey through time. Charles was just 16 years old the morning he fired up his 1916 Indian Power Plus and headed north. He had planned the ride to the minute and raced over macadam, dirt, mud, mountains, streams and rivers to meet his goals. What he didn’t plan on was that his expedition would capture my heart and whisper to my motorcyclist-soul to tell his story to the world. As a record holding Iron Butt Rider, I relate to a well-planned and executed timed ride. Also as a rider that doesn’t hesitate to take street bikes down a muddy forest roads or to the Arctic Circle or across creeks, I feel a kindred spirit in him. His youthful swagger and humor are charming and his exuberance is contagious.

Before%20the%20ride%20%282%29-X2.jpg

Excerpt from the diary of Charles K. Findlay:

“The story of the trip from Montgomery, Ala -to-Abington,Va. -via- Atlanta ,Ga Spartanburg, SC Charlotte, NC Winston-Salem, NC Roanoke, Va 859 miles in 43hr.35 min On a 1916 Indian motorcycle By Chas K. Findlay.
Thur. June 8th 1916 After looking over the motor, filling the tanks and strapping on the baggage the nite before.
Baggage consisted of raincoat and gal. of oil I was ready to go as soon as i was dressed. I put on my riding suit was already dirty and greasy so you can imagin what I will look like at the end of the 859 miles. I cranked off at 5:20am I was leaving Montgomery behind me. 5:45”

Diary-X2.jpg

For the past few years I’ve been working with two of his distant relatives, a genealogist/historian, 1915, 1916 and 1919 Automobile Blue Books, countless historic topographic maps, historic soil maps, rail road maps, libraries, universities, historical societies and museums to recreate his journey on roads that he could have ridden. By connecting the places and using the descriptions he offers in his 1916 diary with roads, ferries, bridges and towns that existed in 1916 or before, I’ve created a route that will very closely mimic his. Of course there is no way of knowing the exact roads he rode, but I believe I have done all due diligence with regards to research. I’ll capture the spirit of his journey and do honor to his memory.

In 2016, I’m buying a 2016 Indian Scout and on June 8th, 2016 I’ll recreate his ride 100 years to the day on a bike 100 years newer and write his story from the saddle. It will also include recreating the ferry ride across the Savannah River via pontoon boat because his crossing is now under Lake Hartwell.

I have even found what might be the very LAST copy of the movie he watched in Chattanooga called “The Captive God” with John Hart. http://www.wikiwand.com/en/William_S._Hart at the George Eastman Museum. I’m currently working with Ashley McCue, Executive Director of the Tivoli Foundation to see if we can show it in Chattanooga, TN 100 years to the day. (I'll need $3000 to use the Tivoli)

Steve, my husband, and I have been carrying the financial burden of this passion to re-create the 1916 Indian ride for years. I cannot tell you how difficult it’s been at times. I need at least $8000 more than the $7000 I have personally already invested.

https://www.gofundme.com/FindlaysRoad

No matter what, please come follow us at Findlay’s Road –

https://www.facebook.com/FindlaysRoad/

And I bet you know someone out there that might like to follow us. Pass it on.

Ride with joy,
Gwen “Shogs” Phillips

Personal Email - shoganaik11rs@gmail.com

Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/findlay_road

Twitter - https://twitter.com/FindlaysRoad

Website - https://FindlaysRoad.com (as of this post it’s not live yet, lack of money)

EVERY mile of EVERY road selected or not selected is linked to a source confirming the date that mile existed. (on or before 1916)

Also EVERY street of EVERY town and city also linked and verified.

Also EVERY church, school and every waypoint linked and verified.

i-65zFsT7.jpg

I just completed a 3007 mile recon trip. I assessed road conditions, road access, met with private land owners to request permission to ride the old road beds. I found new road closures, bridges that were closed permanently, road that went through that I didn't know about, lost RR crossings and one VERY old and still ridable bridge in Alabama.

I met with Dale at Wheels through Time and gained his support and he has agreed to advise me for free.

I met Ashley, the Exe. V.P. of the Tivoli Foundation, and have begun working on getting the Eastman Museum in N.Y. to loan Tivoli the only know copy of the 100 year old silent film "Captive God" with John Hart. I want to show the exact film that Charles saw in the same City 100 years to the day.

I researched several state archives and dozens to libraries to fill in the missing map/route sections because not every thing is digitized or online.

20160113_223220-L.jpg

Blue is a RR I can document in 1916.
Yellow is roadbed dating to 1914.
Red was same road that although still present I can't use because the RR cross over is gone.
Green is roadbed that didn't exist in 1916.

Here's where the recent recon has helped. The purple line was 1914 roadbed that was available in 2014 but has since been converted to a bike trail.
I hope that made sense.

In this screen shot, all the yellow lines are roads I can 100% verify existed on or before 1916 and that fall with the diary route and his descriptions.

[img]https://shoganai.smugmug.com/Old-Maps/i-8kZTVRL/0/L/Full%20Route%20with%20Route-L.jpg

In 1916, this was THE major highway. (going under the RR trestle)

This%20was%20THE%20highway%20in%201916-L.jpg

In 1900, this bridge was part of the most traveled between to nearby towns.

The%20OLDEST%20bridge-L.jpg

As part of the recent recon trip, I spent a LOT of time digging trough old maps that have never been digitized.

Old%20Topos-L.jpg

I have spent many hundreds of hours studying with one screen looking like this.

Screen%201-L.jpg

And the other like this.

Screen%202-L.jpg

These are samples of some of the map types I've been using.

1891%20Estillville%20Topo-L.jpg

1883%20SW%20Virginia-L.jpg

1865%20Map%20Tennessee-L.jpg

1778%20Abingdon-L.jpg

I am DESPERATELY seeking an owner of a 1916 Indian Power Plus to ride some or all of this with me.
This might normally not be too difficult, but 2016 is the Cannonball Run in which many 1916 Indian Power Plus bike are entered.

Dale at Wheels Through Time called me and we met in Maggie Valley to talk about this project.

He gave me a personal tour of his museum and we talked for about 2 hours but he only has a 1915 Indian Power Plus. He gave me $500 and a tee shirt and he offered to advise me on all matters about the 1916 including going through all the pics of Charles on his many bikes to identify them all.

BUT I still need to find a 1916 Indian Power Plus bike and rider willing to ride with me. Steverino has agreed to bring the toy hauler / mobile bike shop to support us, so the older bike will be well cared for as well as giving the rider a free place to sleep every night.

Please, please spread the word about this, I need ALL the help I can get.

And again, please consider supporting this ONCE IN A LIFETIME ride with your financial support.

I just finished completing Day 2 of the 1916 route from Winder. GA to Charlotte, NC.

I am STUNNED how well all my hard work is turning out.

CKF, “a total of 241 miles”
Statement – My actual route mileage is 240.73

(91.79%) 220.99 Miles on roads that existed on or before 1916
(8.21%) 19.74 Miles on new roads

I cannot begin to explain how difficult it has been to arrive at these numbers. I’ve had to use MANY old map, his diary descriptions, 1916 Automobile Blue Books and several other sources like census maps, RFD maps and railroad maps.

These are the numbers for Day 1 Montgomery, AL to Winder, GA.

CKF, “The end of the first day's run. 250 miles”
Statement – My actual route mileage is 243.86

(91.5%) 223.43 Miles on roads that existed on or before 1916
(8.5%) 20.73 Miles on new roads

That’s 490 miles TOTALLY completed!
Just 990 miles remaining!

Awesome project. I had something similar in mind for the 1919 ride accross America centennial that C. K. Shepard did on a 4 cylinder Henderson Excelscior.

Interesting.

You got this from his hand written note book...?
Or has it been published, and that is what you have? And found picture of the handwritten notebook...?

I also have exclusive written permission from the family to write Charles's life story including this ride.

Small update on the Findlay's Road project, I found the 90 year old son of the man that owned the Indian store in Roanoke. I'm currently arranging to meet him as soon as we can.

One of the more difficult things about the Findlay's Road project is "un-learning" what I think I knew about travel from point A to B.

In order to build a 100 year old route, I must first build a 100+ year old map. The are you are looking at is near Greenville, TN. Using a 1904 soil map, I trace on Google Earth in red lines on roads that existed then and now.

After I trace every road between A and B and 10+ miles either side of a straight line between A and B, then I refer back to the diary and attempt to find the most likely route taken.

Greenville%20TN-L.jpg

Greenville%20TN%201904-L.jpg

Yep, ran into some of the same issues on CK shepards ride. Roads and towns, by name that don't exist anymore. I also found that there was a language barrier at times. Being British, and 100years ago, his spelling of towns names sometimes was off. What your doing is awesome btw.

Thank you rangerreece.

People often say to me that they have a hard time believing that roads that existed 100 years ago STILL exist.
Here's a good example of a 1904 road and how it's basically still there, just over shadowed by the 4-lane that 'replaced' it.

The pink line is the basic course.
The red line is un-moved original 1904 roadbed that is still drivable.
The orange line is lost original road either by over paying of the 4-lane or simply lost to a farmers field without a trace.

Old%20Knoxville%20hwy-L.jpg

Old%20Knoxville%20hwy-1-L.jpg

I just got this email from the private property owner on the GA side where I'll be loading my Indian Motorcycle for the "ferry" crossing.

"Just wanted to let you know I looked thru the package of papers you had mailed down about your journey and that of young Charles. Pretty gutsy for a 16 year old but back then maybe not that unusual???

Lake Hartwell and Mother Nature seem to be aligning for your ride, the lake level is right at full pool so it can't be any easier to get on the dock with the motorcycle.

In preparation for your arrival I pressure washed the dock and put down fresh preservative on the wood, it's as clean as it gets!!"

IMG_2982-L.jpg

https://shoganai.smugmug.com/Old-Roads/i-HjjwbcJ/0/L/IMG_2980-L.jpg

Would anybody out there be up for one of the most challenging map searches of ALL time?

Send me your email, ( shoganaik11rs@gmail.com ) and I'll send you a Google Earth file with the following and his diary enrty r/t this search.

1. All the Red lines are roads that existed on or before 1916
2. Orange lines are the same but lost
3. Blue are railroads
4. Dark blue is water
5. Blue drops are springs are water crossings
6. Yellow pins are historic (Hx) or current waypoints/locations such as towns, gaps or churches.
7. Blue pins are place mentioned in a 1916 travel book.
8. The big White V is the search area.
9. Other lines are county borders, 25 miles from Morristown, 8 miles (see diary) and US topo grid (White X)
10. ONE GREEN PIN, present day Sulphur Springs

I'm looking for a "Sulphur or Sulpher Springs" town 25 miles from Morristown. I suspect it has either ceased to exist or a present day community was once called that.

I'm looking for a road on his right as he traveled towards Morristown that lead up into a mountain hollow that ended at some springs north of the Yellow 25 mile line.

I'm beginning to suspect he crossed a ferry south of Bays Mountain, which one, I don't know, but the area near Wexler Bend is promising.

I've been looking for over 2 years, any help would be appreciated!

I wish to invite friends, fellow riders and supporters to join us for dinner in the following locations at the end of these days rides. I've carefully selected for historic and unique locations. I so look forward to sharing this adventure with you all and hearing of your own stories.

Dinner Locations

*** see descriptions below.

Note: The Tavern in Abingdon, VA does require Reservations for best seating, so if you intend to join us there, please PM me by no later than Thursday June 10th, 2016.

Wednesday June 8th, 2016
Winder, GA
Locos Grill & Pub 35 N Broad St. Winder, GA 30680 (770) 867-9401

Thursday June 9th, 2016
Charlotte, NC
***Alexander Michael's Restaurant 401 W 9th St Charlotte, NC (704) 332-6789

Thursday June 10th, 2016
Rocky Mount, VA
***Bootleggers Cafe 467 Franklin Street Rocky Mount, VA 24151 (540) 483-2777

Tuesday June 21st, 2016
Wytheville, VA
***1776 Log House Restaurant 520 E Main St. Wytheville, VA 24382 (276) 228-4139

Wednesday June 22nd, 2016
Abingdon, VA
*** The Tavern 222 E. Main St. Abingdon, Virginia 24210
For Reservations, please call (276) 628-1118

Thursday June 23nd, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
***Porter's Steakhouse in the Read House Historic Inn 827 Broad St. Chattanooga, TN 37402 (423) 267-0900

Friday June 24 th, 2016
Thorsby, AL
Side Traxx Cafe US-31, Thorsby, AL 35171 (205) 688-1155

End of Ride Dinner
Saturday June 25th, 2016
Montgomery, AL
***Martin's Restaurant 1796 Carter Hill Rd. Montgomery, AL 36106 (334) 265-1767

Charlotte, NC
A locally owned and operated American Tavern in Charlotte’s Historic 4th Ward serving fresh unpretentious food that is prepared well with fresh, quality ingredients. We offer a wide selection of craft, imported, and domestic beers as well as a full bar and a modest wine selection.

Rocky Mount, VA
Located in the heart of Rocky Mount; in the old Coca-Cola Bottling Company Building (1929), Bootleggers Cafe has a warm and inviting atmosphere with an incredible menu to suit everyone.
We serve Contemporary American Cuisine and home scratch cooking utilizing fresh produce with a focus on local sustainable farms and a distinct flair of Franklin County comfort food. Bootleggers Cafe will strive to provide the best dining experience in Southwest Virginia.
We also offer four of the finest local craft brews on tap, as well as a wide variety of over 50 craft beers in the bottle, a distinct wine variety, mixed spirits and Nightly Specialty Drinks!
So sit back and enjoy a bit of nostalgia at Bootleggers Cafe where food, drink and the staff shine.

Wytheville, VA
Located in the heart of Downtown Wytheville, the Log House Restaurant, which is locally owned and operated, is fine dining in an eighteenth century atmosphere. The Log House is a log cabin that was built in 1776, then transformed into a popular local dining experience, that keeps the ambiance of the olden days. Christopher's Lounge and a gift shop are also located in the Log House. Enjoy fine dining while absorbing the early American décor throughout the home. The Log House is located on Main Street in Wytheville, so specialized shops, museums and parks are just a short walk away.

Abingdon, AL
The Tavern, the oldest of Abingdon's historic buildings and one of the oldest west of the Blue Ridge, was built in 1779. It was used from it's beginning as a tavern and overnight inn for stagecoach traveler's. The Tavern has had such guests as Henry Clay; Louis Philippe, King of France; President Andrew Jackson; and Pierre Charles L'Enfant, designer of Washington D.C.
The first post office on the western slopes of the Blue Ridge Mountains was located in the east wing of The Tavern. The original mail slot is still in place and can be seen today from the street.
During the past two centuries, The Tavern has served as a tavern, bank, bakery, general store, cabinet shop, barber shop, private residence, post office, antique shop and restaurant. It even served as a hospital for wounded Confederate and Union soldiers during the Civil War.
In 1965, The Tavern was acquired from the Thaddeus Harris Family by Mary Dudley Porterfield, wife of the founder of the Barter Theatre. The Harris Family had owned The Tavern for more than 100 years.
In 1984, The Tavern was restored to its former glory by a local attorney Emmitt F. Yeary.
In 1994, it was opened under the management of Max Hermann who moved to Abingdon in 1993 after having served twenty years with the United States Air Force. Max is a native German and resides in Abingdon.

Chattanooga, TN
Originally opened in 1872 and rebuilt in 1926, The Read House is recognized in the National Register of Historic Places and has hosted cultural icons like Winston Churchill, Gary Cooper, Oprah Winfrey and Al Capone.
Welcome to yesteryear; another time and place in downtown Chattanooga. It is with great pleasure that we bring you the latest incarnation of Porter's Steakhouse, one of the best restaurants in the area. Conceived with the 1920's & 30's in mind, Porter's is intended to be a time trip away from modern day cares and back to simpler times. Featuring the finest cuisine in Chattanooga, Porter's has an option for every palate ranging from ocean fresh seafood to finely prepared prime steaks, . In addition to our choice meats, we are always pleased to offer vegetarian fare upon request.

Montgomery, AL
A family owned and operated restaurant, Martin’s is one of the oldest in Montgomery, having opened in the 1930s. The menu changes daily and is inspired by the classic home cooking that the owners themselves grew up with – each day they cook whatever they feel like and serve it to a hungry crowd of happy diners. Specialties include meatloaf, fried catfish, and salmon croquettes. The restaurant is especially family friendly, with a relaxed atmosphere and friendly vibe. Martin’s even picked up two awards in 2012, including the readers’ choice from the Montgomery advertiser.

Back