• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Dominator exhaust

jimwjarmour

jimmy armour
Hi guys, thinking my standard exaust on my 2000 r1100rt is rotted in side the cat, was looking at a dominater exaust and pipe assy, beleive someone was talking about these not so long ago perhaps someone out there can shed some light on these after market units noise levels power increase / decrease ,thanks in advance Jimmy:ca

For what it's worth, I also was in the mood for an aftermarket exhaust a few months ago for my R850R. I looked up videos of the Dominator and GPR exhaust sounds and found a few from similar bikes -- R1150GS and R1100GS mostly. I wasn't particularly happy with what I heard though admittedly about half the videos were in terrible quality. To my ear the GPR sounded better than the Dominator but neither were enough to make me buy one right away.

What I ended up finding was a used Staintune exhaust from Re-Psycle's Ebay account. They're a motorcycle scrapyard in Ohio and one of the few I've heard of that do BMW Motorrad. I looked up a couple videos of the Staintune on similar bikes and thought "wow, I like that sound a lot" and the forum threads I found about it were all very positive. Made in Australia entirely out of stainless steel and retains the original O2 sensor. Quite a few pounds lighter than the stock one though I couldn't tell you exactly how much. It wasn't cheap -- I ended up forking over about $400 with shipping. They weren't cheap when new either.

My exhaust is pretty beat up and doesn't look the best because it came off of a high-mileage GS that clearly got ridden hard, but my bike isn't a showgirl and I really love how it sounds with the baffle in it. A bit louder than stock but not obnoxious and a lot more deep frequencies. If you can find one somewhere secondhand I don't think you'll regret it.

thanks guys,

once again thanks guys ,will hold off till later in year before doing a replacement, as my son and i are off tuesday through northern ontario into quebec to old quebec city then across the st laurence river round the gaspe pennisula and then if time allows new brunswick and the bay of fundy back through quebec south side of the st laurence back home through toronto . quite enough for now O and 17 aug hopefully off to the 4 winds rally back home intime to fly to ireland on the 27th aug rental bike waiting for me to ride north coast of scotland they call the nc 500 back ride to south of ireland kinsale and start the waw ,the wild atlantic way attending a bmw club weekend in leanan west coast of ireland then back through Donegall and return bike back and fly from dublin back to toronto 29thsept , heres wishing you all a great summer Jimmy

I have the Dominator system on my '93 R1100RSL having installed it last year. I use the db killer and a pair of ear plugs. I like the weight reduction from 25 lbs down to maybe 5 pounds if that. On my bike simply removing the O2 sensor after cutting a jumper between two pins on the ECU connector resulted in the UCU never going closed loop and activates a fueling program that was intended for use in countries that didn't require lean operation with an active O2 sensor. The jumper was used in '93 instead of the code plug found on newer BMW motorcycles. I know from experience removing a code plug on later R1150 bikes is not a good thing to do and I don't know much about what happens on newer 1100's for that matter. Also, I like the build quality and fit of the Dominator so no issues on that score. The dominator also resulted in less back pressure which seems to be a good thing as the idle seems smoother. Had to tweak the throttle body sink slightly after installation and removal of the O2 sensor, no big deal.

I'll say this about the Dominator: I wouldn't hesitate to use one instead of purchasing a new exhaust from Bring More Wallet in a heart beat. Also, when you are at cruising speed the Dominator exhaust note is very pleasing and not too loud at all same is true when idling at a stop light. The Dominator is a glass pack muffler and a glass pack is a glass pack no matter who's name is on it and you will be replacing the glass pack material on occasion which isn't hard to do. Dominator is all stainless steel and of very good build quality. Would I do it again? Yes! Also, had the head pipes ceramic coated when I installed the Dominator. Maybe it's all in my mind but it does seem like the black ceramic coat resulted in a cooler running exhaust system which maybe was also affected by less back pressure. Anyway, I'm happy with my bikes improved overall performance with these mods.

dominator ordered

Hi guys just back from my trip east plenty of rain but being from Ireland ,didnt put us off, so on my return I went ahead and ordered a dominater round complete with db killer off e bay, delivery here in canada 2nd week in august $221.00 us delivered although import duties will be required ,looking forward to getting rid of the blown exaust note at idle ,also my bike already has both the yellow relay and the o2 censor unplugged, and running fine this last 4000 km,s will advise on my findings later this year as im off to Ireland all of september ,thanks for the great feed back , bye for now Jimmy:thumb

FYI....there is no duty on motorcycle parts made in the USA. Make sure the seller notes place of manufacture on the customs documentation. Thank you NAFTA.

I think the Dominator exhausts are made in Poland. Most of their Ebay listings ship from there.

new exaust arrives tomorrow

Hi guys, well have removed my standard exaust from my 2000 r1100rt, new dominator arrives tomorrow now im not going to install the o2 sensor so have cut the 4 wires going down to it and taped them up so as not to short out ,is this ok or should i remove all the tuperware and unscrew the connector thanks in advance Jimmy:thumb

Hi guys, well have removed my standard exaust from my 2000 r1100rt, new dominator arrives tomorrow now im not going to install the o2 sensor so have cut the 4 wires going down to it and taped them up so as not to short out ,is this ok or should i remove all the tuperware and unscrew the connector thanks in advance Jimmy:thumb

So essentially you have cut all wires to the O2 sensor so you wouldn't accomplish anything by going any further. If you remove the sensor you would need a bung plug to replace the sensor just to fill the hole. Any muffler shop should be able to fix you up with a bung plug.

On my Yamaha FJR I had the computer reprogrammed (flashed) which resulted in a much smoother running motor and the O2 sensor is out of the picture so I removed it and installed the bung plug. Probably a good thing that I don't have vehicle emissions tests to worry about where I live live what with my R1100RSL and FJR both no longer running with O2 sensors. More lol..lol..

You should maybe invest in a pair of ear plugs. lol..lol.. Only joking but it will be a bit louder but pleasant. I'm interested in hearing how your bike performs with these modifications. On my very early '93 R1100RSL cutting the jumper on the ECU connector is the equivalent to removing the code plug on your 2000 R1100RT at least I think it is but I'm not sure how this will affect fueling. On my early R1100 cutting the jumper modified the fueling program to what it would be if the bike was destined for sale in a country that did not require an O2 sensor to control emissions. Not sure how this will affect a 2000 R1100. I'm interested to find out how your bike performs.

Last edited:
cut wires

Hey Jammes ,thank you for responding, yes i have removed the yellow relay , not sure if i diconnected, the 02 semsor wireing plug, but was stuck with the exaust caught up on wiring so i cut it thinking i had disconnected the plug a few months earlier ,only for my son to say no you didnt ,so new exaust comes to day, regards ear plugs , after 60 odd years riding bikes , also forklift tech in some very noisy factories, paying the price with zinging (ringing) constantly in my ears, i always wear ear plugs, so thanks again ,yes will give my opinion, getting it earlier than told, so will have a couple of weeks to test ride, as im off to Ireland and Scotland on the 27th aug till sept 30 rental bike waiting for me , yes will bring my rain suit , bye for now Jimmy:thumb

"Taping up" tie wires will cause issues in the future. Electrical tape is best used as a temporary fix only.

I suggest leaving the plug attached (but you've already cut the wires) or using heat shrink over the ends of the wires.

OMG its noisy

ok exaust has arrived and now installed ,boy its NOISY !!! does have db killer installed and is much louder when removed twitters like my old BSA goldstar of the sixties, removal of the db killer shows its straight through, reduces twitter, so i remember someone saying they blanked off the end and drilled some holes the length of the killer tube , cant seem to find the post perhaps it was on a different forum ,not sure what to do now ,thanks in advance to anyone who can assist Jimmy:scratch

ok exaust has arrived and now installed ,boy its NOISY !!! does have db killer installed and is much louder when removed twitters like my old BSA goldstar of the sixties, removal of the db killer shows its straight through, reduces twitter, so i remember someone saying they blanked off the end and drilled some holes the length of the killer tube , cant seem to find the post perhaps it was on a different forum ,not sure what to do now ,thanks in advance to anyone who can assist Jimmy:scratch

Are you sure you have the 6 to 9 db killer? The one I have has the end already blocked off with several rows of holes up the sides. This forces the exhaust gas to flow completely through the glass pack. There is also a db killer which I also have that the Dominator came with and has the end completely un-blocked and it's a bit too noisy so check this out and make sure you have the silent one as it is more quiet and it is a few dollars more over the base price but worth it, imo.

db killer

hey Jammess , yes the db killer is just a straight through tube ,so where will order the quieter one from dominator web site, ? i have cut four slots and bent the 4 lips over to a small hole bit better please let me know where to order the right one from ,again many thanks, night, night, Jimmy :thumb

db killer

went ahead and ordered a hard db killer direct from dominator in Poland , hopefully will be here before my trip to Ireland and Scotland, mean time i cut 4 slots in tube and bent them over like a childs windmill ,while not bmw like little bit quieter, thanks to all who tried to help , Jimmy :ca

couldnt wait

well another lesson learned, db killer didnt arrive so went out on spirited run with my buddy , on his 900 triumph, exaust very un bmw like , but hummed at around 100 km well, db killer arrived today removed my left pannier to replace the baffles the open one had melted a hole in the bottom of my pannier!!,good news is exaust note much quieter , much like a GS , so working out ways to tilt the muffler away from bottom of pannier ,funny bike feels lighter and more maneuverable than before so bonus,thanks guys nite nite Jimmy

everything good now

hey guys, made a bracket which has lowered the exaust away from the bottom of my left pannier , so with open baffle db killer installed idle was a little higher at 1500 rpm ,now with the closed end hard baffle runs good sounds like a GS to my mind but idle is lower 1000 and slightly above, and faultering, can i adjust the BBS to get to run smoother thanks as always in advance Jimmy:thumb

Back