• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Do you want the new R1300 water cooled engine boxer?

motor4

Sure other threads on the topic. What are your thoughts on what we will soon see? Weight a drop less (GS), totally water cooled boxer engine, electronic rear suspension like the harley pan American (probably on upper trim GS trim), electric windscreen. All guesses on my part but all of interest one figures.

We will learn soon enough :)

Sure other threads on the topic. What are your thoughts on what we will soon see? Weight a drop less (GS), totally water cooled boxer engine, electronic rear suspension like the harley pan American (probably on upper trim GS trim), electric windscreen. All guesses on my part but all of interest one figures.

We will learn soon enough :)

Cast frame signifies a manufacturing shift. Expect to see a CF formed M1300GS, I’m thinking. I expect more advanced chassis control systems and more developed informatics that track more chassis and engine variables. I’d expect an evolution is display tech and expect the GSA will have radar cruise.

My guesses. My 2019 is a formidable bit of kit, so I’m curious what this evolution will bring

Having just bought an R1250RT this year, I don't see looking at a 1300 for some time if at all. I'm happy with the 1250 and knowing it is the final product of it's evolution, I expect it will be a fine bike for many years, the bugs having been largely worked out in prior years. My other bike, an F850GSA was the first year of that line and has thus far proven a fine machine, so I'd expect the new 1300 to be quite good too. Even the 850 being now a 900 with more HP, is not enough of an improvement for me to trade up.

I am a buy and hold kind of owner though, ten or more years being my norm.

Many manufacturers are engineering for extended service intervals.
Has anyone heard if BMW is following suit with the new engine?

Good question however, if they do, they'll probably only tell the dealer what the intervals are and how to do them. Moving closer and closer to only dealer has the knowledge.

I want a GS that weighs less than 425 pounds.

i-PJGBZdc-X2.jpg

Good question however, if they do, they'll probably only tell the dealer what the intervals are and how to do them. Moving closer and closer to only dealer has the knowledge.

Maybe there will be a transition to leasing as in other “high-end” brands.

For BMW vehicles-

Why are so many BMW's leased?
This is a fairly easy one. BMWs are fairly expensive to maintain but they come with maintenance included for 4 years up to 50,000 miles. New cars also take a big hit in depreciation. By leasing, you get a new BMW that you don't care about depreciation and don't worry about maintenance costs.

OM

Multistradas are at like 18k and I believe BMW is now at like 12K for valve checks. I wouldn't be surprised to see it get extended.

I'm doubtful that the new engine is much more than a displacement increase in terms of physical alterations, but I'd expect that we'll have enhanced engine controls and software. It's kind of how they seem to do it these days.

Maybe there will be a transition to leasing as in other “high-end” brands.

For BMW vehicles-

Why are so many BMW's leased?
This is a fairly easy one. BMWs are fairly expensive to maintain but they come with maintenance included for 4 years up to 50,000 miles. New cars also take a big hit in depreciation. By leasing, you get a new BMW that you don't care about depreciation and don't worry about maintenance costs.

OM

Um, given that your lease is contingent on the trade in value of the vehicle at the end of the lease term, you are very much concerned about maintenance and depreciation. If you treat your vehicle like crap, you're gonna pay out when you surrender at the end of the lease.

There's the initial depreciation, calculated on what a "typical" owner usage, but if you have someone that's a "car pig" and destroys the vehicle, that's a whole other level of depreciation that can be avoided or controlled.

Just to clarify. Leases can be useful for some instances, but for most private owners, they're not a great deal.

Um, given that your lease is contingent on the trade in value of the vehicle at the end of the lease term, you are very much concerned about maintenance and depreciation. If you treat your vehicle like crap, you're gonna pay out when you surrender at the end of the lease.

There's the initial depreciation, calculated on what a "typical" owner usage, but if you have someone that's a "car pig" and destroys the vehicle, that's a whole other level of depreciation that can be avoided or controlled.

Just to clarify. Leases can be useful for some instances, but for most private owners, they're not a great deal.

BMW (77% Leased)
The three series, five series, X1, and X5, are among the BMW models our clients often choose for luxury car leases.

I wasn’t endorsing leasing.

OM

Multistradas are at like 18k and I believe BMW is now at like 12K for valve checks. I wouldn't be surprised to see it get extended.

I'm doubtful that the new engine is much more than a displacement increase in terms of physical alterations, but I'd expect that we'll have enhanced engine controls and software. It's kind of how they seem to do it these days.

I thought I had read that they speculated it would be 100% water cooled for the 1300. Current 1250 still relies on air and oil cooling to some extent.

Those days are gone.

I’m not so sure …

As the Chinese and Indian motorcycle manufacturers gain worldwide acceptance, sooner or later someone other than BMW will build another mid-size boxer twin, and likely at low cost. Marusho, Zundapp, Chang Jiang, and even Harley have produced boxer twins in the past. Honda was very successful with their boxer fours and sixes, so I think another, simpler boxer twin from someone is a real possibility.

BMW (77% Leased)
The three series, five series, X1, and X5, are among the BMW models our clients often choose for luxury car leases.

I wasn’t endorsing leasing.

OM

I was clarifying your assertion that depreciation and maintenance don't matter on leases.

They do. You "trade it in" at the end of the lease and if you've depreciated the car through lack of maintenance or it's in poor condition, you pay at that point. They have a little template they use for things like stains, dents and scratches to determine whether they can reduce the residual value further.

The more I look at engines throughout history, the more I see the problems they are trying to solve changing. When engines are changed for reliability and efficiency reasons, that's a good thing. When they are changed to make more power, that's a good thing (provided it's not at the expense of reliability).

But it seems that in recent years, the internal combustion engine was pretty much perfected. Now they are getting worse. As emissions and economy regulations get tighter, so much money has to be spent on meeting regulations and that causes complexity.

The last of the air cooled BMW boxers is what my bike has. The "camhead". Is it the most powerful? No. But it's a wonderful street engine and I can't think of a reason I'd want more than that engine offers. I had two 1150 boxers before my current bike and the camhead is leaps and bounds better. The fact that it's still in production is a real testament to how good that engine is. It's a pleasure to work on too.

Do I want the new 1300 boxer? Yeah...I'd take one. But do I need it? No. And I wouldn't be willing to spend the money required to get one.

Back