• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Description Of Different BMW Engines Over The Years

Thanks Lee. Very interesting stuff. I do have to say that I may be alone in my liking for the K1. I was driving down CA1 in Santa Cruz, CA in the late eighties and spotted a blue/yellow K1 at the dealership there. I have to say I was smitten until I tried to fit my 6'4" body onto it. I still love the bike, but again, may be the only one...

Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 11.40.14 AM.png

Last edited:
Thanks Lee. Very interesting stuff. I do have to say that I may be alone in my liking for the K1. I was driving down CA1 in Santa Cruz, CA in the late eighties and spotted a blue/yellow K1 at the dealership there. I have to say I was smitten until I tried to fit my 6'4" body onto it. I still love the like, but again, may be the only one...

View attachment 85292

Color me one that always liked the looks of the K1 also. Saw one at Dunbars BMW in Brockton, Ma. in the 90's.

Are Hexheads and Camheads and Wetheads actually easier to work on than Oilheads like the author of that article claims?

That seems like a suspicious claim to me, considering the DOHC bikes got rid of screw-and-locknut valve adjustments...I can do mine with the 4 measurement shims and the toolkit that came with the bike.

Are Hexheads and Camheads and Wetheads actually easier to work on than Oilheads like the author of that article claims?

That seems like a suspicious claim to me, considering the DOHC bikes got rid of screw-and-locknut valve adjustments...I can do mine with the 4 measurement shims and the toolkit that came with the bike.

I guess one advantage of the Wethead is you rarely have to adjust the valves.

Back