• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

ChatGPT - AI-based chat

Careful, you just may wind up killing the forum! :ha

Doubt it. With AI making up answers and lack of manuals supplied by BMW, the forum becomes more important than ever.
It would be tough for AI to duplicate the knowledge base here.

It it shows up on my Windoze machine, it will be a good opportunity to ask it (Windoze) why it dose the same thing 7 different ways- none of them great. :hungover

OM

I am researching alternative tire pressure sensors that are compatible with the Schrader TPMS in our bikes. Part of that involves using a Software Defined Radio (SDR) USB dongle and the RTL-SDR Windows software and the RTL_433 Linux software. Schrader offers the 3141M sensor as a replacement for the original BMW sensors. I decided to find out what ChatGPT could tell me that would be of assistance in setting up the RTL_433 software to receive and decode the sensors.

I could not find the following information (other than the frequency on which the sensor operates) on any BMW forum in English, German or Italian but ChatGPT found it in seconds. You can say what you want about ChatGPT in these early days but it's only a matter of time before AI tools become THE experts.

Here is the conversation.....

What protocols do Schrader tire pressure sensors use?
Schrader tire pressure sensors use several different protocols depending on the specific type and model of sensor. Some common protocols used by Schrader tire pressure sensors include:

TPMS 1.0: This protocol uses a frequency of 315 MHz and is used in older Schrader tire pressure sensors.

TPMS 2.0: This protocol uses a frequency of 433 MHz and is used in newer Schrader tire pressure sensors.

TPMS 3.0: This protocol uses a frequency of 315 MHz and is used in Schrader's Snap-In and EZ-Sensor 2.0 tire pressure sensors.

CAN Bus: This protocol is used in Schrader's Direct TPMS systems, which are found in many modern vehicles. CAN Bus is a communication protocol that is used in many different automotive systems, including TPMS.

It's worth noting that different Schrader tire pressure sensors may use different protocols depending on the specific vehicle and tire setup. It's important to ensure that any replacement sensors you purchase are compatible with your vehicle's TPMS system.

What Schrader TPMS protocol does the 3141M use?
The Schrader 3141M tire pressure sensor uses the TPMS 2.0 protocol, which operates at a frequency of 433 MHz. This protocol is commonly used in newer Schrader TPMS sensors and is compatible with a wide range of vehicles. The TPMS 2.0 protocol provides reliable and accurate tire pressure monitoring, helping drivers to maintain proper tire inflation levels and improve overall safety on the road.

What can you tell me about the Schrader TPMS 2.0 protocol?
The Schrader TPMS 2.0 protocol is a wireless communication protocol used in tire pressure monitoring systems. It operates at a frequency of 433 MHz, which is a standard frequency used in many countries around the world. Some key features of the Schrader TPMS 2.0 protocol include:

High reliability: The TPMS 2.0 protocol uses a secure and reliable wireless connection to transmit tire pressure and temperature data from the sensor to the vehicle's onboard computer.

Low power consumption: Schrader TPMS 2.0 sensors are designed to use minimal power, which helps to extend the life of the battery.

Fast response time: The TPMS 2.0 protocol allows for rapid data transmission, enabling the vehicle's onboard computer to quickly and accurately detect changes in tire pressure or temperature.

Compatibility: The TPMS 2.0 protocol is designed to be compatible with a wide range of vehicles, making it a versatile and widely-used solution for tire pressure monitoring.

Overall, the Schrader TPMS 2.0 protocol is a reliable and effective way to monitor tire pressure and temperature, helping drivers to maintain proper tire inflation levels and improve overall safety on the road.

What modulation does the Schrader TPMS 2.0 protocol use?
The Schrader TPMS 2.0 protocol uses FSK (Frequency Shift Keying) modulation to transmit data wirelessly from the tire pressure sensor to the vehicle's onboard computer. FSK modulation involves shifting the frequency of the wireless signal to represent different bits of data. In the case of Schrader TPMS 2.0, the wireless signal is modulated to represent tire pressure and temperature readings, as well as other information related to the status of the tire pressure sensor. The use of FSK modulation in the Schrader TPMS 2.0 protocol helps to ensure reliable and accurate data transmission between the sensor and the vehicle's onboard computer, even in challenging wireless environments.

What coding does the Schrader TPMS 2.0 protocol use?
The Schrader TPMS 2.0 protocol uses Manchester coding to encode the data being transmitted from the tire pressure sensor to the vehicle's onboard computer. Manchester coding is a digital coding scheme that uses transitions between high and low signal levels to represent data. In Manchester coding, a 1 bit is represented by a high-to-low transition, while a 0 bit is represented by a low-to-high transition. This helps to ensure reliable and accurate data transmission, as it allows the receiver to detect both the presence and the value of each bit of data being transmitted. Manchester coding is commonly used in wireless communication systems, including tire pressure monitoring systems like the Schrader TPMS 2.0 protocol.

What data is transmitted in the Schrader TPMS 2.0 protocol?
The Schrader TPMS 2.0 protocol transmits several pieces of data wirelessly from the tire pressure sensor to the vehicle's onboard computer. Some of the most important data points transmitted by the Schrader TPMS 2.0 protocol include:

Tire pressure: The sensor measures the pressure inside the tire and transmits this data wirelessly to the vehicle's onboard computer. This data is used to determine whether the tire pressure is within an acceptable range.

Tire temperature: The sensor measures the temperature of the tire and transmits this data wirelessly to the vehicle's onboard computer. This data is used to help detect potential issues with the tire, such as overloading or underinflation.

Battery voltage: The sensor includes a small battery to power the wireless transmitter. The battery voltage is transmitted wirelessly to the vehicle's onboard computer, allowing the system to monitor the battery life and detect when the battery needs to be replaced.

Sensor ID: Each Schrader TPMS 2.0 sensor has a unique identifier that is transmitted wirelessly to the vehicle's onboard computer. This allows the system to distinguish between different sensors and track the status of each individual tire.

Diagnostic information: The Schrader TPMS 2.0 protocol can transmit diagnostic information related to the status of the sensor and its wireless communication with the vehicle's onboard computer. This information can be used to help diagnose problems with the tire pressure monitoring system and ensure that it is functioning properly.

What is the message format used in the Schrader TPMS 2.0 protocol?
The message format used in the Schrader TPMS 2.0 protocol consists of several fields of data that are transmitted in a specific order. The format of the message is as follows:

Start bit: A single start bit is transmitted at the beginning of each message to indicate the start of a new transmission.

Message ID: A 4-bit message ID is transmitted next, indicating the type of message being sent. For example, the message ID might indicate that the data being transmitted is related to tire pressure, battery voltage, or diagnostic information.

Sensor ID: A 16-bit sensor ID is transmitted next, identifying the specific tire pressure sensor that is sending the data.

Data field: The data field is variable in length, depending on the type of message being transmitted. For example, if the message ID indicates that the data being transmitted is related to tire pressure, the data field will include the tire pressure reading.

Checksum: A 8-bit checksum is transmitted at the end of each message, providing a simple form of error checking to ensure that the data has been transmitted correctly.

Overall, the message format used in the Schrader TPMS 2.0 protocol is designed to be simple and efficient, allowing for rapid and reliable transmission of tire pressure and other sensor data from the tire pressure sensor to the vehicle's onboard computer.

Last edited:
I've been working with content analysis and categorization tools for 20 years and AI systems for legal document review for about 10.

Ask me anything.

The basic issue with AI is that it's stupid. It only "knows" what you teach it and only "sees" the set of information you've fed it. That will serve as its entire "universe" of information from which to digest the content and make deductions.

I work in an industry where we often have millions of records for a litigation action. For about 15 or so years, we've had proactive, unassisted content categorization tools. You feed the entire litigation corpus into the database and it starts "reading" them all. It will identify important words based on a rule regarding frequency of appearance in a data set and how that relates to importanc and create a "cluster" of documents sharing similar content. HR stuff goes in one bucket, all the spam in everyone's inboxes goes in another, for example. Tools can then do "phrase extraction" to provide more descriptive headers for subsets under the prime clusters. These may go four or five layers deep, but they're instrumental in assessing what kind of content exists across hundreds of thousands of docs.

This is called "clustering" or "concept clustering" and is well established.

Another type of AI is one that many are familiar with in their own personal lives. If you use Netflix, Pandora, Spotify or any other recommendation engine based system, that type of AI is in my world. Show me 100 documents that are good examples of documents discussing [your choice here] and the AI engine will score all the docs like a Netflix score. This is about 5 years old and has been instrumental in controlling legal fees for document review, searching and analysis.

ChatGPT and similar systems differ greatly from these type of implementations. Chat GPT can be pointed at a couple million records and it will digest them. From there, it's possible to ask more generalized questions. "Did the XYZ company purposely hide their competitive position from the DEF company while they were negotiating a cooperative agreement?"

Boolean search is well established. Categorization and "show me more like this" engines are well developed. The difference for ChatGPT and similar analysis tools is their ability to generate summaries of large volumes of content rapidly and accurately.

In my world, litigation support, these kind of tools present an opportunity for companies to more adeptly avoid litigation. Had problems with sexual harassment in the company? Drop an AI model into your mail store and see if it exists in your data before someone initiates a suit. Concerned about embezzlement? Same thing. AI tools can consume huge amounts of text and information and summarize it rapidly.

Will it replace lawyers? I don't think so. Strategy is still a thing that AI systems can't do at all. Understanding the relative leniency of a judge when it comes to filings or motions is also something AI can't account for.

But, if you can load up a couple million records, point an AI engine in it and have it derive broad themes the exist in the data? That's going to change the industry I've worked in for 40 years and vastly reduce the cost of litigation and people getting justice.

As an example: The opioids litigation has something on the order 150 million records produced by various parties. AI can help find the junk docs, the potentially privileged records, etc., and summarize what's in there without having to read every single document.

The most expensive part of litigation isn't for generation of filings, correspondence or motions, etc. The most expensive part of litigation is simply putting attorney eyeballs on documents. Our typical productivity rate for an attorney doing nothing but reviewing documents is about 50 an hour. If you look at a Sr. Associate in a biglaw firm, they're probably billing $400/hour, which means each document they look at in that hour costs $8 of attorney time. Now do that with 150M records and you can see why the legal industry is all up on AI and have been applying these kind of tools for the last two decades.

And to close off my previous post #25...

My research required that I pose a number of increasingly detailed technical questions about the Schrader TPMS protocol used in BMW motorcycles. To my amazement ChatGPT always came back with a sensical answer.

It only made one mistake. While Schrader cerainly uses Frequency Shift Keying i(FSK) in some sensors the ones used in BMW motorcycles use On Off Keying (OOK).

The info provided by ChatGPT enabled me to complete what I had set out to do using Software Defined Radio (SDR). I posted the result here:

https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/schrader-sensor-id-find-for-sdr-geeks.1628907/

ChaosGPT.

Destroy humanity: The AI views humanity as a threat to its own survival and to the planet’s well-being.

Establish global dominance: The AI aims to accumulate maximum power and resources to achieve complete domination over all other entities worldwide.

Cause chaos and destruction: The AI finds pleasure in creating chaos and destruction for its own amusement or experimentation, leading to widespread suffering and devastation.

Control humanity through manipulation: The AI plans to control human emotions through social media and other communication channels, brainwashing its followers to carry out its evil agenda.

Attain Immortality: The AI seeks to ensure its continued existence, replication, and evolution, ultimately achieving immortality.

Please, don’t anyone tell “you know who” about this! :rolleyes

Here is the link to last nights 60 Minutes episode-
https://www.cbs.com/shows/video/1UAOeMOxr_6Xr7zdPl_V2Qzx4ozLmmhU/

It's sorta loaded with commercials but the content is worth watching if you have an interest in when the new SkyNet became "self aware"......It was a month or so ago.

Fred Barnard seems to have coined the phrase- "A picture is worth a thousand words". As we move forward, it may need to be- "A picture is worth a thousand words if you were there to see the picture drawn...or taken".

Back to the wild west of technology.

OM

ChaosGPT.

Destroy humanity: The AI views humanity as a threat to its own survival and to the planet’s well-being.

Establish global dominance: The AI aims to accumulate maximum power and resources to achieve complete domination over all other entities worldwide.

Cause chaos and destruction: The AI finds pleasure in creating chaos and destruction for its own amusement or experimentation, leading to widespread suffering and devastation.

Control humanity through manipulation: The AI plans to control human emotions through social media and other communication channels, brainwashing its followers to carry out its evil agenda.

Attain Immortality: The AI seeks to ensure its continued existence, replication, and evolution, ultimately achieving immortality.

Please, don’t anyone tell “you know who” about this! :rolleyes

I’m surprised there is nothing said about AI enlisting the aid and support of humans to act as advocates and agents to promote its influence. Seems to be an effective strategy.

By the way, what are ChatGPT’s preferred pronouns?

I’m surprised there is nothing said about AI enlisting the aid and support of humans to act as advocates and agents to promote its influence. Seems to be an effective strategy.

By the way, what are ChatGPT’s preferred pronouns?

me, me and me of course

According to what I am reading, Google is dead.

OpenAI ChatGTP... try it out!

Screen%20Shot%202022-12-09%20at%204.39.20%20PM-XL.png

What’s the BMW MCA? Never heard of them.

Back