• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Chasing Miquel Silvestre on a K75

B

bigalsmith101

On a K75/3 chasing Miquel Silvestre from Vancouver, British Columbia going east.<br><br>
Hello everyone! In just the few short days that I have been a BMWMOA member ( a week), I have already had the wonderful experience of reaping the benefits of such a large group of well informed, connected, and enthusiastic people. It has sure been fun.<br><br>
Last Saturday, (September 12th) I was given the email of Miquel Silvestre from a fellow BMWMOA member (Statdawg) who replied to a post I made the day before. Miquel is a Spaniard with 3 GS’s under his belt having travelled Africa, Central and East Asia, Russia and the Stan’s. He is now more than half way through his goal to ride from coast to coast across North America.<br><br>
After a couple of corresponding emails, Miquel showed up at my door in Bellingham Washington on Monday September 14th. I had told him that he was welcome to stay and that I was on his way north to Vancouver. He was glad to stay and save the hotel costs. We went out for dinner that night and first tried a Vietnamese restaurant that Miquel had noticed. Neither he nor I had ever had Vietnamese food. And, we still haven’t yet. They didn’t serve beer! Miquel would have none of that, so we had to leave of course! I chose a place that I KNEW would have been and plenty of it; the local college football bar. Two pitchers of beer and two steak platters latter and we were back to my apartment. I informed Miquel that he would be sleeping in my bed that night and he refused! Ever humble, he opted instead to sleep on my thermarest sleeping pad. <br><br>
The following morning, Tuesday the 15th we were off to Canada after searching for some WIFI around the ubiquitous apartment complexes that surround the college town that I live in.<br><br>
picture.php

<br><br>

The difference in age between Miquel and I is 18 years. I am not yet out of my university years and am 22. He is in a well established career mode at home in Spain and is 40. As soon as we hit the pavement on our bikes, it didn’t matter. Miquel was riding his 2008 BMW R1200GS, and I was riding my 1995 BMW K75/3. We were all smiles and thumbs up as we headed for the Canadian border. He was very excited to be going to Canada for the first time in his life. I happen to be a dual citizen of USA/Canada. I appreciated his enthusiasm. We stopped several times to try to find a sticker of WA State, but alas, as Miquel said, “Sometimes you lose.” We couldn’t find a damn sticker for his bike. We arrived at the Canadian border, and after answering the many questions of, “Who are you,” “How do you know him,” “Where are you going,” “How long will you be in Canada” and then answering them again and explaining ourselves, we made it across with no issues and Miquel was in Canada. YES! We took some photos of the “Welcome to Canada” sign and headed north to Vancouver, BC.

<br><br>
picture.php

<br><br>
We didn’t spend much time in Vancouver, and instead headed west towards our eventual mutual destination of Calgary, Alberta. Miquel was headed to New York, New York, USA. I however had to start my senior year at Western Washington University in Bellingham on September 23rd, and therefore could not join Miguel across the country.
<br><br>
We did however stop to check out the Olympic Clock that is counting down the Days, hours, minutes and seconds until the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver BC .
<br><br>
picture.php

<br><br>
After 3 or 4 U-turns in the middle of city intersections,
<br><br>
picture.php

<br><br>
we found the local BMW motorcycle dealership where Miquel bought a quart of oil for his ‘08 R1200GS. “It’s a thirsty bike,” he explained. We then continued east toward our eventual stop of the night in Princeton, BC. The mountain roads were brilliant for the last 120km (74 miles) and I had a hard time keeping up with Miquel’s more powerful bike. I found myself in 4th gear trying to get up to 75mph in the thin mountain air. 5th was reserved for flat or downhill sections at 80mph plus. It was a good time. Who knew the Canadians don’t give a hoot about speed limit and road signs? The car in front of us passed a Semi in a clearly posted “No Passing” double yellow line area. We followed of course. The area was a mile long straight downhill section and the Semi’s were restricted to 50km/h. No reason a car/bike couldn’t go faster eh?
<br><br>
Upon arriving at our hotel that night, we got a discount because, “You are from Spain,” the receptionist said we hit the local restaurant, Miquel had his beer/s along with dinner. (That $10 CAD “discount” paid for Miquel’s beer! Hey, as I say “Take what you can get!”)
<br><br>
picture.php

<br><br>
Wednesday September 16th. What a good day for riding it was on Wednesday! Everywhere we went, we went fast, on nicely paved, dry roads. 100km/h signs saw 140km/h bikes cruise by. The Rocky Mountains are a treat to ride with beautiful scenery every time you pull through the next bend in the road.
<br><br>
picture.php

<br><br>
picture.php

<br><br>
The only mishap was half way through our days ride. We passed a fuel station with a posted sign, “Next services 74km,” and instantly wondered if I would make it or not with the current gas that I had in my tank... Well, 18km or just about 11 miles before the next fuel station, my bike abruptly quit running. Crap! I thought I had run out of fuel, and Miquel agreed that I probably did. I had gone 140 miles on 5 gallons, or a measly 28mpg. Dang mountain roads!
<br><br>
picture.php

<br><br>
Well, Miquel took my 1.5 liter water bottle and headed to town to fill me up with some fuel. I sat in the sunshine on my bike, taking it easy and giving the thumbs up sign to passing bikers who slowed down to enquire on my situation. When Miquel arrived back about 25 minutes later, I was excited to take some pictures of my flimsy plastic fuel container filling up my tank.
<br><br>
picture.php

<br><br>
Of course, I emptied the impromptu fuel bottle and “BAM!” nothing happened. My bike still wouldn’t start. Miquel and I exchanged varied looks that seemed to portray many emotions at the same time. “****” “AHAHAHAHA” “WHAT NOW!” and “Ohhhh Wellll” come to mind. Well, I am not one to give up that easily, so I took off my seat, grabbed my owner’s manual out of the rear storage compartment and started flipping through the pages until something caught my eye. I had seen a diagram of the fuse box. I instantly started pulling fuses out one at a time, checking each one and putting it back as I saw that it was still o.k. The 5th or so fuse that I pulled out happened to be blown and the fuse diagram proved it to be the fuel pump fuse. I replaced it with the brake light fuse (another 7.5 amp fuse) and the bike started on the first attempt. Off we went!
<br><br>
Lucky for me it started, because neither of us wanted to spend another moment under the hot sun. The ride was nice, when we were riding, but staying in one place easily worked up a sweat. Miquel was the first to act and promptly switched helmets to his “Harley Helmet” that included the tastefully added BMW emblem sticker.
<br><br>
picture.php

<br><br>
We stopped along our way east at Mariposa Orchards. It is a HUGE fruit and vegetable stand with many kinds of apples, pears, plumbs, and other Pacific Northwest fruits. All the prices are very good and beat your local supermarket for freshness and availability. I couldn’t finish the apple that I bought for the sheer size of the thing. It was HUGE! Miquel wouldn’t/couldn’t see it go to waste and finished it for me. Mind you, I am 6’6’’ and 215lbs, and about 10 inches, 75 lbs heavier than Miquel, yet he can put it away! We continued east until we reached Salmo, British Columbia where we stopped for the night to camp. We set up camp and headed back to town. Unknowingly, that small town closes down early for the night at around 7pm, so the grocery store and restaurant were closed as well. We were left purchasing beef jerky and peanuts at the local fuel station and drinking a few beers at the local pub. Still, that day was much better than the previous day. We had little or no traffic, great riding conditions and happy spirits.
<br><br>
We finally departed from Salmo, BC at around 1pm on Thursday September 17th. The weather had been terrible the night before and the sky had opened up upon us. It had rained the entire night. I made good use of my huge tarp that I keep rolled on up on my bike, and by the time we left, the sky had cleared and the sun had come out.
<br><br>
picture.php

<br><br>
We made good time through some more wondrous roads until we reached Radium Hot Springs, BC. What a great mountain town it was!
<br><br>
picture.php

<br><br>
picture.php

<br><br>
Everything was quite uneventful on the way there and we averaged about 140km/h or 80 mph the entire way. Of course, just before we entered the town we went 85mph-0mph in about 5 seconds when Miquel spotted 3 or 4 big horned ram feeding off the side of the highway. A few pictures later and we were on our way.
<br><br>
picture.php

<br><br>
picture.php

<br><br>
There was a car show scheduled for the next day on Saturday September 19th, and all sorts of old hot rods and rat rods, roadsters and old school muscle cars were grumbling around, filling up at the gas stations and being hand washed by their various owners. It was quite the sight.
<br><br>
We stopped at a gas station and I asked where the cheapest place to stay would be. She mentioned a hostel on the east side of town called “Misty River Lodge” (http://www.radiumhostel.bc.ca) and we ended up there for the night in a 6 bed dorm room that remained empty except for us for the rest of the night. We set up camp at the hostel and headed into town in search of food. We ended up at a local pub and ordered huge burgers and a pitcher of beer. Miquel ordered double meat on his burger, which I ended up eating, and we left happy. We walked next door, bought a 6 pack of beer and headed back to the hostel. There we commenced to have “our last beers night” and drank the 6 beers in the hostel room and out on porch of the hostel. It was a good time for sure.
<br><br>
The next morning, Friday September 18th, we headed to town for some food at a local coffee shop and to use the present WIFI, and then Miquel and I parted ways. Miquel, the previously ascertained (check prior posts) Spanish Adventurer and modern day Renaissance Man spread his arms wide, we hugged and with smiles on our faces took off in different directions down the main road of Radium Hot Springs BC Canada. Miquel was headed to Calgary, Alberta, and I had close to 600 miles ahead of me on my way home to Everett, Washington.
<br><br>
picture.php

<br><br>
If it weren’t for school, I’d still be riding East to NYC with Miquel if he’d have me. Alas, school is my job, and those of us tied to our “job” bear witness to their limitations. So be it for now, but for me, this is just the start!!!
<br><br>
Special thanks to Statdawg for putting my in touch with Miquel, and thanks to the whole community for giving me so much in so many small ways. AWESOME.

Last edited:
Great story, Al, and it looks like you've got the picture posting well under control.

I enjoyed being able to mentally connect with the pre-Calgary segment of the trip.

Oh, and welcome to MOA.

Hey thanks for posting this. I could post the prequel to this if my laptop wasn't at the doctors getting fixed. Glad to see he landed in good hands. He should be closing in on the Dawg house :thumb

Pulp Non Fiction

Hey Bigalsmith101,

When I get my laptop, ( with photo software for my digital camera on it ) can I post my RR in NorCal with Miquel on this thread???? It would be kinda like a Tarantino thread...... it would be good for Miquel to have all these pix from his ride across North America in the same link.

I know Rinty must have some pix and then when Miquel lands at Statdawgs, the Dawg can add his twist to this report. What do you say???? Maybe Mr. Burns has something to add as well...............

Paul Franze

As is commonly heard on my college campus... Do-It-To-It.

Absolutely! Post away! Lets get a complete ride report going for Miquel to peruse.

Right on! (Should it be RIDE on?)

In his own words.............

I am listening the Ramones on the Ipod while running along the Hudson River. It is cold but the scenery warms me up. I am not feeling like an stranger. This is my place in the same way Jerusalem, Cape Town or Samarcanda were. I felt there in the right spot and even with wide open eyes nothing was weird for me. Those cities were part of me and I was part of them. Maybe the reason is I didnÔÇÖt take in land from an airplane after a boring transatlantic trip and suddenly opened my eyes and ears to a new reality. Instead of it, I have been coming day by day, mile by mile, step by step since I left my home fifteen months ago. I left sweat, tears, smiles and fears all over the way to arrive here. And I am proud of it.

I hate that common saying ÔÇ£I am a World CitizenÔÇØ. No one is World Citizen and neither am I. I am just a f@#$ing normal guy riding a fat motorcycle and getting surprised daily in every place I reached. I love to talk to local people and I hate also those who say ÔÇ£the Planet is smallÔÇØ just because they earn a lot of flight miles using American Express. No, this Planet is not small, is diverse, terrible and beautiful. And is really Big and takes a lot of time to ride a little part of it. People are small, not the Earth. I know now that we are not anything else but silly ants trying to survive and procreate, just like ants do. The tiny difference between they and us is that we can also love, laugh, paint, write and ride motorcycles.

Why is so important riding motorcycles when is exhausting, hard and terrible in hot or cold weather ? Because we are different people. A guy who I didnÔÇÖt know has left me his apartment on Broadway in the middle of the Big Apple. David, Dr. Rock, a middle age doctor in the hospital has hosted me just because we both understand the meaning of biking. I knew through Chris that he rode the Transamerican Trail (a dirt path which goes all across the USA from East to West) with his wife, who was riding her own motorcycle. You should be a real rough rider to do that. And he knew by the same guy that I had been riding USA, Canada, Africa, the Stans and Middle East. That was enough to trust each other, that was enough for Chris to make the connection.

Five minutes after my arrival, he took me to the Ear Inn, a famous pub in Manhattan, and introduced me to the hard core of New York Adventure Riders. There were the beers (the best Guinness since I left Ireland) and the bikes. And then I learnt something curious. For bikers my terrible accent in English is not an Spanish accent, is Dani Pedrosa??s accent, because the pilot has to speak to the International Mass Media after the races. Pedrosa is not Valentino Rossi, a real showman. He is boring and flat and his English is awful. So I did my best to put our flag up. After few pints of stout I think I got it. Now Pedrosa has a terrible ambassador in New York and I can keep forever a good night with real people in real places, something not achievable by tourists.

Thanks to all of you for being there reading these emails and sorry if anyone has felt annoyed for my insistence on travelling and telling it. Next adventure, behind the desk and wearing tie instead dirt biker gear. I am sadly happy for finishing this World Tour Trip 2008-2009. But nothing lasts forever and I have found a lot of faith. All the best

outstanding report, great photos and an excellent example of what makes the moa cool.

thanks, dawg, for making an introduction.

and thank you very much, al, for writing such an excellent report.

ian

outstanding report, great photos and an excellent example of what makes the moa cool.

thanks, dawg, for making an introduction.

and thank you very much, al, for writing such an excellent report.

ian

What Ian said. :thumb

Wow! Great intro, great lay out, makes me hunger for the road.

Thanks!

Jotting little stories has been a hobby of mine for some time. I just appreciate the fact that I now have a willing audience! BMWMOA rocks!:bikes

Prequel

Ok, so I met Miquel January of 09, thanks Dawg!!!! After a bunch of emails about his incoming and my outgoing ( Thailand for xmas ) we ended up riding for one rainy day around north bay wine country. It was enough to make a spark for what I believe will be a long friendship, beyond motorcycles.

Here we are outside the Petrified Forest. This picture seems a bit stiff, but you'll see that we hit our stride on the next go-round

485967515_AXQGw-L.jpg

I rode 100 miles in the rain to ride with Miquel. I think that kinda whacked him out a bit.......but I just wanted to see what kind of mojo he had as Statdawg had given me a brief intro about his Adventure riding.

So, we ride for about 2 hours, I ride back to Sacramento and he parks his moto in San Jose saying he's coming back in the summer. A month or so goes by and I start getting copied on emails from his riding around Africa on a GS80......... Very,very cool........ I reply every now and then, not letting him know how much I REALLY admire him.......... that trip ends..........and another begins. This time it's off to Ukraine, Russia, Kazakstan, and then back through Turkey into the Holy Lands....... WOW!!!! More cool stuff....... I still don't let on that I think he's a Super Badass kinda guy...... Well, then I get some emails he's coming back to CA to pick up his GS in San Jose.......... I get on the knees and beg my boss to give me a hall pass for a few days.........HALL PASS APPROVED :clap:clap:clap

Well as it turns out, I get three days off, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday..........but one small caveat. I'm coaching my daughters U8 Rec soccer team and their first game is Saturday at noon. I don't have an asst. coach and it's the first game of the season........so I do the right thing......... I tell Miquel I have to be at the game and if he wants to head north, I'll ride with him Friday and come back for the game on Saturday. He says' No problem, we'll do a day ride Friday and after your game on Saturday, we'll head north'. So, here's some pix of our Friday day ride.........

first stop.......Downieville

673469855_XvNSM-L.jpg

Lunch at Long Lake between Bassets and Graeagle

673470417_caqTy-L.jpg

673471996_NV6yJ-L.jpg

Best place for lunch in Quincy,CA

673470890_YbsRW-L.jpg

There's a great road out of Quincy, heading west, past Buck Lake that ends up in Oroville...I think it's HWY 119....... Anyway, getting on it from Quincy is a funky little left hand turn at the end of the main drag and then you kind of start heading up and out of Quincy....... Here's how that part of the day went..........

See the CHP coming towards you
Check the speedometer
Look up....... see the sign that says " End of 35 MPH "
Check the mirror.........see the CHP Brake lights
Pull over

Best part of this was Miquel was behind me and I pulled over onto the shoulder and he pulled up next to me on the road..... He yelled........ " What are you doing" I yelled back....... "Look in your mirror '

673471458_hhfnU-L.jpg

So, the CHP says he has me going 65 in a 30 mph residential area...... I say " wow, that's really bad " a few more yessirs, and no sirs, a driver's license that puts me as a non-local and a big motorcycle rally that's just starting in Quincy and we're let off with a warning......... :clap

Miquel took the lead as we "headed out of Dodge"

673473957_ZbAjU-L.jpg

673473069_LQXcd-L.jpg

A nice place to stop at a mountain lake.

673472625_XVfNi-L.jpg

The end of the Friday road was HOT!!!!!!as we left the mountains and headed back into the valley. We made it back to Roseville in time to hit REI for Miquel to get some camping gear for his ride across north North America. He took some beautiful shots of the sunset that night....... I was a loser and did not take any shots.

Next day was Saturday...... My girls team got smacked 10-4 and we were on the road about 2:00 pm..... Heading north for a classic ride to the coast, leaving out of Red Bluff. This road was mentioned in a post here not long ago and a local rider mentioned that the road shouldn't be mentioned......... Ok, I'm good with that. Here's a clue.........

673475438_Vfrg2-L.jpg

this particular road has lots of elevation changes, corners with adjusting radius, and spectacular scenery.........oh, and no traffic............

673475908_kYwsM-L.jpg

He's almost ready to smile.......... I think there's something missing..............

673478711_yfX6L-L.jpg

673477686_ma65S-L.jpg

673478172_dLC4m-L.jpg

673479901_Mj45y-L.jpg

673481236_cyX2r-L.jpg

673481782_4hjrB-L.jpg

Finally............. there's the smile............:buds

673483198_EQaDG-L.jpg

Paul:

I've been looking forward to your prequel, but I see your fancy new computer rig is still burping on your pictures. :D

Anyway, you've got half the work done. :thumb

Hi Rinty...... the pictures show for me :dunno I've got more to add but Smugmug is giving me the " Temporary Service Interruption" screen...........

There is a wonderful country store/gas station on this road. It's the real deal.

673484235_dqehC-L.jpg

673483722_HNEHZ-L.jpg

673485390_nHpZE-L.jpg

673485670_vXvcc-L.jpg

We hung out for about half an hour, talking with the cook and the locals. One guy came up and told us how he had to live out in the country because he couldn't handle the vices of the city.......

" I gave up women, I gave up cussin', and I gave up drinkin". He proclaimed. I looked a the two wine coolers he just bought and replied. " Good thing you didn't give up lyin' "

We did order some burgers........they were really, really good :eat

673486733_ToaHX-L.jpg

We rode for about another hour.

673487444_6tHtR-L.jpg

673487812_49qR7-L.jpg

It was starting to get dark and we found a nice campground in the woods. We were in bigfoot country........

673488758_3TqD2-L.jpg

673489495_QPEhH-L.jpg

" Man cannot live on bread alone "............ how true, now bread AND beer, that makes life worth living :buds

673488340_zNYzu-L.jpg

My "research" has determined that the Heineken " keg can " can be frozen without bursting. These beers were packed up at my house and were still pretty cold when we drank them around the campfire that night........ Small problem to overcome......... I had been telling Miquel all day that I had dinner packed. Seems in my desire to pack the maximum beer quota, I left the sausages and cheese still in the freezer :doh That last minute decision to order the burgers proved to be a wise move.

The next morning the road took us over the Coast Range towards the Pacific.

673490791_kQ4o6-L.jpg

673491232_osmnF-L.jpg

We dropped into a nice grove of coastal redwoods.

Miquel gets his angle....

673491561_mXv4L-L.jpg

I like this view

673491910_z733g-L.jpg

Sadly, I reached the end of my leash near Fortuna. I rode home through some great roads, Miquel continued on and met up with Bigalsmith whom I'm sure I'd enjoy riding with as well. So there you go Al, you come down this way, give me a holler, I'll do the same if I get up your way.

Yep, SmugMug's working now. And a great report to digest over the weekend, with my maps.

Hi, all, this is my first post so I do not know how It works yet. Hopefully I can post some pics taken in Catskills event. What I can say about my American trip meeting Paul, Alex, Rinty, Chris or Derek? I had a lot of fun and a new friends, there is something to remember forever. Thanks you all, guys. You will be so welcome in Spain.

Attachments

• catskills.jpg
    catskills.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 74
Que Bueno!

EXCELLENT! Franze. If you make it to Great Pacific North West, we can hit up the back roads and see some sights, Absolutely! I may be down south someday so we'll see how it goes.

Miquel! Have you arrived in Spain? I hope you learn to use this forum well! You can expect to see me sometime after 2011. I will be stopping in Spain on my RTW trip.

Damn, I love this forum. :bikes

Hey Miquel:

Good to see your first post :thumb and we're looking forward to your Catskills report.

You're going to be in for a long decompression period when you go back to work.:(

It was great meeting you.

Back