• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

My Annual Big Horn - Beartooth - Red Lodge - Ten Sleep Loop

bigjohnsd

'21 R1250 GS Adv
Monday We left Spearfish just before 0700.

20230724_064944-XL.jpg

Rode I-90 to Gillette, then US 14 to Sheridan, up I-90 to Ranchester WY, then over the Bighorns to Lovell WY on US 14a stopping at Burgess Jct for Pie. It was hot in the valleys, mid-90s, but cool at elevation.

Screenshot_20230724_212813-XL.jpg

Stopped at the Devil's Canyon Overlook because I'd never been there.

20230724_130322-XL.jpg

20230724_130118-XL.jpg

20230724_130226-XL.jpg

After Lovell, we headed to Cody then North to the Chief Joseph Pkwy, over the Beartooth, and down into Red Lodge arriving just before 5:00 pm. It was raining the last 15 miles of the Chief Joseph and throughout most of the Beartooth but not too bad. We were glad we stopped and put on a little rain gear along the way.

We walked to the Red Lodge Brewers and enjoyed several beers and BBQ sandwiches.

20230724_173223-XL.jpg

Today (Tuesday) was one of those "Perfect Motorcycling Days"!

i-kz328dd-XL.jpg

Scott and I were first in line for Breakfast at the Alpine Inn - Red Lodge MT.

i-Rv5THcX-XL.jpg

i-2q44MXd-XL.jpg

Larry, the owner (in the pink shirt) was behind the grill and whipped up a couple of excellent Breakfast Burritos, his signature dish.

i-9hffVfp-XL.jpg

Scott and I were on the road at 6:45 - we wanted to "beat the traffic" going over the Beartooth and down the Chief Joseph. I am pleased to report that we did just that. It was a cool 67f when we left Red Lodge, we saw a low of 47f on the top of Beartooth, we chose not to interrupt the "Flow of the Ride" by stopping for pictures. We overtook and passed four cars and one pickup between Red Lodge and the turn-off to the Chief Joseph Parkway. This was undoubtedly my most "unimpeded Beartooth passage ever" and we made the most of it. It is always a pleasure to ride a road at the speed limit and have the curves be challenging.

The trip down/over Chief Joseph/Dead Indian Pass was only slightly more trafficked. We passed one group of bikes and a Spyder just after the lone Construction zone and had to deal with half-a-dozen other cars plus one herd of cows on/in the road. The Gray Ghost's ABS does work!

We fueled in Cody and then hightailed it for a date with an Icecream Cone at Dirty Sallys General Store - Ten Sleep WY.

dirty%20sallys-S.jpg

302262242_761162868533123_8002882258491405222_n.jpg

362624654_1022139269102147_6039518684618244781_n.jpg

I had Coffee Fudge and Scott had Pecan or some such delectable treat.

After refueling our bodies we screwed around for ten minutes trying to repair our comms unsuccessfully, they had worked perfectly up until this point. It appears that different Bluetooth priorities were fighting each other.

The run over US 16 - "The Cloud Peak Skyway" was good as well. We had to dispatch a few motor homes before we hit the good stuff in Ten Sleep Canyon, then a nice run across to just past Crazy Woman Canyon when we hit construction. But - we were first in line behind the Pilot Car and after a ten-minute wait, we had a great run all the way to Buffalo, catching the previous group of traffic just as we entered town.

We gassed up in Buffalo and took US 16 to Gillette, it adds about 30 minutes but I-90 is just so boring across that stretch of WY.

We stopped at Spotted Horse WY (just East of West Bumphuck) for a cool drink and relief from the 96f heat.

i-XhLFS5d-XL.jpg

Nice AC, cold pop, and a lot of crap on the walls -
i-3Kfvpjn-XL.jpg

i-z7V2bR8-XL.jpg

The rest of the trip was just "hammer down" to get out of the heat -
i-HkRnRNQ-XL.jpg

After Lovell, we headed to Cody then North to the Chief Joseph Pkwy, over the Beartooth, and down into Red Lodge arriving just before 5:00 pm. It was raining the last 15 miles of the Chief Joseph and throughout most of the Beartooth but not too bad. We were glad we stopped and put on a little rain gear along the way.

I am surprised that you went over Beartooth that late in the afternoon. It rains regularly on the pass in the late afternoon. I have ridden both passes many times over the last 17 years and I avoid going over Beartooth after about 3PM. Certainly by 4 PM.

I am surprised that you went over Beartooth that late in the afternoon. It rains regularly on the pass in the late afternoon. I have ridden both passes many times over the last 17 years and I avoid going over Beartooth after about 3PM. Certainly by 4 PM.

While riding in the 1999 Iron Butt Rally in August, I arrived at Cooke City about 8:00 p.m. I proceeded up to Beartooth Pass where it had begun snowing. One-half hour after I left Cooke City they closed the highway. I managed to carefully slip and slide up and over the pass and down to an elevation where it was not snowing and proceeded to Red Lodge for a short sleep. And then onward to the checkpoint in Maine. I never have really liked that road ever since.

Last edited:

See Motto below - " Team Pterodactyl - When we ride, we ride! " we did not melt.

Back