• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Change rear tire to 195/55R17?

rjforsyth

One thing I noticed on my new RT1250 was a rather optimistic speedometer.

Has anybody tried upsizing from the stock 180/55R17 to 190/55R17?

This would change the rake a tad and bike may 'steer quicker'.

All bikes (and cars) have an optimistic speedometer (in the US). It will either be 5% or 5 mph high, but if you check the ODO it will probably be reading the actual mileage correctly...

It's left over from a time when the US rule was that the speedo must never read lower than actual speed regardless of tire wear.

One thing I noticed on my new RT1250 was a rather optimistic speedometer.

Has anybody tried upsizing from the stock 180/55R17 to 190/55R17?

This would change the rake a tad and bike may 'steer quicker'.
It would certainly work to get your speedo at least closer to actual speed. I suppose you could check it against your GPS-verified speed. Make sure you have enough clearance for the wider/taller tire. You might also check to ensure the 190 tire you choose is in fact taller than the one currently on your bike. I believe Dunlop lists both diameter and circumference of their tires. Actual circumferences vary between manufacturers.

Out of curiosity what drives the speedo/odo on this model. From our fleet I note that the K75s are electronic off the rear wheel. The R1100RS is cable off the front wheel, and the F800S was strange in that the speedo was electronic off the rear wheel but the odo was electronic off the front wheel.

All bikes (and cars) have an optimistic speedometer (in the US). It will either be 5% or 5 mph high, but if you check the ODO it will probably be reading the actual mileage correctly...

It's left over from a time when the US rule was that the speedo must never read lower than actual speed regardless of tire wear.
Since I've owned a GPS so I can check, all of our GM products had accurate speedometers.

To my knowledge, all late model BMW motorcycles in this group, that have ABS / Traction Control use the slotted speed sensor rings and sensors attached to both front and rear wheels to determine both speed AND wheel slip between the two. At least since 1970 in K models, and 2014 in R models. No mechanical cables. They are very accurate as long as wheel & tire specs fall within the range BMW calls for, AND comply with geographic laws that mandate showing lower than legal speeds on the speedometer itself.

I ran a 190/55R17 for about 30,000 miles on my 2023 RT and it was great, felt better than the stock 180. Of course I recently moved to a car tire šŸ˜±

Attachments

• IMG_5874.jpeg
    IMG_5874.jpeg
    626.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_5876.jpeg
    IMG_5876.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 37
Back