• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Camera Gear: Tripods

I've got a 7 foot monopod, probably by Bogen/Manfrotto. It's less cumbersome than a tripod for my purposes, easily bungied to the bike when those other two legs are needed.

One thing I don't skimp on is a tripod.....I use it for 80-90% of the type of photography I do. Always figured it was better to have a bigger tripod than I needed, than one that was borderline or too small for the job. So here's my arsenal and comments on why I selected them. Not much here which is suitable for smaller digital cameras however.

Berlebach 3032 ash wood tripod (made in Germany!) with leveling ball and Bogen 3039 Pro head for the big guns (Pentax 67 and view cameras). Why? I love wood, it absorbs vibrations better than almost any other material (right up there with carbon fiber), it's a two section tripod (more rigid), has a built in leveling ball to which the tripod head attaches and is very reasonably priced (~$250). Besides which....it's beautifully made and finished.

Gitzo GT3530S carbon fiber with RRS BH55 ball head for the medium sized cameras (Hasselblad 501CM/553ELX and Canon 40D with longer telephoto lenses). Why? Carbon fiber can't be beat for lightness and absorbing vibrations. The GT3530S is part of their "Systematic" line. It's very rigid by not having an extensible center column, so the head fits directly on top of the legs (on a fixed plate). The Really Right Stuff BH-55 ball head is amazing, if you haven't seen one, check out their website. A great combination....and both the Gitzo and RRS head are finely made pieces of equipment.

A Gitzo Basalt GT-2931 with RRS BH40 ball head for the Canon 40D with other lenses. Why? Lighter, smaller and with a center column for when I don't really need the carrying capacity of the GT3530S.

I also have an older and smaller Gitzo Reporter aluminum tripod that I use when travelling with the Canon DSLR. This little Gitzo Reporter is the closest thing I have to a tripod I would carry on the motorcycle. It's got a Bogen pan tilt head on it now....I would like to replace that with the smallest RRS ball head. It's too bad that Gitzo doesn't make these smaller Reporter series tripods in aluminum anymore.....they were exceptionally well made, compared to carbon fiber a good value and not very heavy in the smaller sizes.

This Linhof head is on my wish list......to supplement or replace the Bogen 3039 Pro head. By all accounts, it's the best pan tilt head ever made.

Gary Benson
Eagle River, Alaska

Attachments

• Linhof 3-Way Pan Tilt head.jpg
    Linhof 3-Way Pan Tilt head.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
my take on tripods is this: I'll be damned if i am going to put my $1000 + camera along with a $1500 + lens on cheap tripod. i have been using a Gitzo 2220 with a Markins ball head and and RRS plate for several years now. this setup isn't cheap but it is extremely solid and had never failed me. if you feel comfortable putting your expensive DSLR & lens on a cheap tripod by all means go ahead, but for me i'll stay with a rock solid platform that i know won't fall over when the wind blows.

Back