• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

California smog standards & registering a bike from out of state

They processed the bike the same day I joined. In and out in less than an hour. While I did have all the required paperwork, title/proof of insurance/etc, the bike did not have a NV or any lic. plate. I guess NV required the plate be retained by the seller and turned in to the NV DMV.

I spoke with AAA today and they confirmed they could process all aspects of the registration as long as the bike's numbers on the title matched the ones on the bike. I didn't ask if there was any distinction between the VIN and the frame number, but from what I've read so far, that seems to be standard. They said the only reason they'd send me to the CHP was if any of those numbers didn't match. So confirming that with any potential seller would definitely be at the top of a list of things to nail down before finalizing the purchase.

Oh. And they did point out that I have 20 days to register the bike after the purchase (hmm... or after the shipment arrives in CA? I didn't pose that distinction to them) before a fine would be imposed. They also confirmed that if the motorcycle has more than 7500 miles on it, it doesn't need any emission compliant devices, adding that California doesn't require motorcycles to have smog tests done like cars and trucks are required to have every other year.

Last edited:
I want to go to the AAA you used... which location? I went to two different ones, then called the main office and they all told me the same thing... need to go to the DMV.

Also, how long ago?

Sent you a private message.

I spoke with AAA today and they confirmed they could process all aspects of the registration as long as the bike's numbers on the title matched the ones on the bike. I didn't ask if there was any distinction between the VIN and the frame number, but from what I've read so far, that seems to be standard. They said the only reason they'd send me to the CHP was if any of those numbers didn't match. So confirming that with any potential seller would definitely be at the top of a list of things to nail down before finalizing the purchase.

Oh. And they did point out that I have 20 days to register the bike after the purchase (hmm... or after the shipment arrives in CA? I didn't pose that distinction to them) before a fine would be imposed. They also confirmed that if the motorcycle has more than 7500 miles on it, it doesn't need any emission compliant devices, adding that California doesn't require motorcycles to have smog tests done like cars and trucks are required to have every other year.

Should be 30 days after the bike comes to CA and sounds like you're getting a new (to you) bike. :dance

One would think CA would be reducing the hazzle for no other reason than motorcycles are environmentally friendly? Or is it just another cash rake? Not to mention motorcycles have a very low impact on roads. In fact, giving an income tax credit for riding would be a great idea.

One would think CA would be reducing the hazzle for no other reason than motorcycles are environmentally friendly? Or is it just another cash rake? Not to mention motorcycles have a very low impact on roads. In fact, giving an income tax credit for riding would be a great idea.

To the average legislator, hooligans ride motorcycles.:banghead

And they did point out that I have 20 days to register the bike after the purchase (hmm... or after the shipment arrives in CA? I didn't pose that distinction to them) before a fine would be imposed.

You, and they, are correct........:thumb

In California, you must get it registered and pay the fees :banghead within 20 days of "entry" into the state of an out of state vehicle. Does not matter when you purchased the vehicle.

GD

Back