• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Bought a 2004 R1200CLC a week ago, now it won't start

zhanngol

Last week I bought a 2004 R1200CLC with less than 8000 miles on it. Great ride. Rode it for 5 days with no problems. Sixth day I go out with the wife, we make several stops and after the third stop when I tried starting it, seemed the battery almost died. The first few attempts it barely turned over a few times, then that machine gun sound started. I tried several times and thankfully it eventually started. When I got home I put it on the tender for the night.

In the morning, worked beautifully. Rode 35 miles to work and back with no problems. Put it back on the tender just in case for the night.

The next morning it wouldn't even turn over. I turned the key, pushed the button and the starter went straight to that machine gun sound. I tried it a few times, but each time I get that incessant clack clack clacking noise. Since it wasn't even turning over I assumed there wasn't enough juice, so probably the battery was shot? I ordered a new maintenance free battery and put it in last night.

As you may have guessed, the battery wasn't the problem. I turn the key, push the start button and all I hear is automatic fire. I tried several times, rechecked all the wires and hoses but still nothing but clacking.

Just in case the battery wasn't properly charged after adding that chemical, I put it on the tender all night. In the morning I tried starting, and it barely started to turn over, but then immediately went to that machine gun sound. I tried it a few times after that, but all I get is the clacking.

I'm thinking that maybe my starter is shot, but I'm not a mechanic in the least. Any advice would be immensely appreciated.

Last week I bought a 2004 R1200CLC with less than 8000 miles on it. Great ride. Rode it for 5 days with no problems. Sixth day I go out with the wife, we make several stops and after the third stop when I tried starting it, seemed the battery almost died. The first few attempts it barely turned over a few times, then that machine gun sound started. I tried several times and thankfully it eventually started. When I got home I put it on the tender for the night.

In the morning, worked beautifully. Rode 35 miles to work and back with no problems. Put it back on the tender just in case for the night.

The next morning it wouldn't even turn over. I turned the key, pushed the button and the starter went straight to that machine gun sound. I tried it a few times, but each time I get that incessant clack clack clacking noise. Since it wasn't even turning over I assumed there wasn't enough juice, so probably the battery was shot? I ordered a new maintenance free battery and put it in last night.

As you may have guessed, the battery wasn't the problem. I turn the key, push the start button and all I hear is automatic fire. I tried several times, rechecked all the wires and hoses but still nothing but clacking.

Just in case the battery wasn't properly charged after adding that chemical, I put it on the tender all night. In the morning I tried starting, and it barely started to turn over, but then immediately went to that machine gun sound. I tried it a few times after that, but all I get is the clacking.

I'm thinking that maybe my starter is shot, but I'm not a mechanic in the least. Any advice would be immensely appreciated.

Not being a smart-ass here but...you say "I'm not a mechanic in the least." While it does sound like a battery problem ? maybe starter ?....you can waste allot of money chasing the problem / following N/G diagnosis advice. I could offer advise as to where the problem [might] be..but without checking the system in proper sequence my advise would be only guesses. I strongly suggest that you have a mechanic check it out. When all is said & done,..you may very well save money by doing so.

Good luck with it & keep us posted.

Several people have said the same thing to me now, take your bike to a mechanic. I figured I would try figuring this out on my own, maybe learn a thing or two, but in the end the most important thing is to get it done right. I would hate to make the problem worse, or as you've already pointed out, waste more money.

I will figure out a way to start her up and get her to a mechanic. I will post what they turn up.

First thing might be to locate your local BMW club (check in the Anonymous Book) and your local non-factory-authorized BMW mechanic (to save bucks later on). Club members might be willing to stop by and take a look.

On the bright side - if the bike really has only 8000 miles on it, there's a great chance that it still has the original battery. After twelve years, there's a really good chance that it is dead and will not hold a charge. if it's not original, at least verify that the cables to it are all snugged down pretty tight.

Another possibility is a sticking or intermittent starter relay, found inside the plastic box under the seat, left-most & furthest forward.

Code:
First thing might be to locate your local BMW club (check in the Anonymous Book) and your local non-factory-authorized BMW mechanic (to save bucks later on). Club members might be willing to stop by and take a look.

That is awesome, I never even new such clubs existed. I will definitely be seeking them out in my area.

Since you've already tried a new battery, and you believe the cables are tight and clean, it is time to inspect the starter. Your symptoms sound like the usual starter problem.

What happens is that the magnets fall off the housing and jam the armature OR the internal grease cover drops on to the armature. If you remove the starter and open it up, you can quickly see either of these conditions, then you can decide whether to repair or replace it.

There is a good thread on this which I will try to find for you. I think it was started by Global Rider.

Clymer has a very good service manual book on this bike. Check amazon books online, and be sure to check the used books as well as new ones. I had a 2004, and it was a complicated beast. Nice ride through. These may be quirky enough to be collector's bike someday. Good luck.

Question: Could those starter issues happen at only 8000 miles? Or are they sometimes only "age"-related?

Maybe this brand-new battery he spoke of simply needs to be put on a proper charger before being put into service - How long was it on the shelf after juicing it, was it fully charged up before he installed it, etc... And brand-new batteries are sometimes duds, too...

I needed to replace the starter on my '04 R1200C Montauk after just 7,000 miles. Exhibited the same symptoms as a dead battery, but only after the engine was shut off hot, on re-start. After cooling down, it started with a little difficulty, but at least it did start. Swapped out a known good starter from my '02 R1200C and diagnosis was confirmed. Bought one from Discount Starter & Alternator in Georgia. Its not a true Valeo; its an aftermarket, but has held up fine for the past 4 years without a hiccup, and MUCH less expensive than OEM.
$58.00 right here:
http://www.discountstarterandalternator.com/p-6416-brand-new-starter-for-bmw.aspx

And yes...brand new batteries right out of the box have been known to come with bad/weak cells, etc. Its one thing for a battery to be properly charged to run the bike, but starting requires peak power. Surface charge and starting charge are quite different. Suggest you have the new battery load tested, or trade it in for an Odyssey PC-680. Have one in each of my 3 BMWs, and have never been let down.

I got a 2004 CL last year also with just 8000 miles and it did the same thing. I put in a new battery and had the same results as you. I put the bike on a real charger to full charge rather than a tender and it has been fine ever since. I am convinced that the battery in a CL will never really charge by riding it but will maintain a full charge once it is properly charged.

Sorry for the prolonged quiet, but I was away all weekend with no access to the internet ... a wonderful thing, actually.

The responses here are stunning. I have decided to take my bike to a shop and have them figure out what is wrong. It is possible I completely screwed up the battery, or maybe its my starter. Without the tools to be able to know definitively, I would rather just have a professional look at it. I will post the outcome when it happens.

I have decided to take my bike to a shop and have them figure out what is wrong. I would rather just have a professional look at it.

You are assuming shops have professionals. You'd be amazed how few really understand electrical theory.

At this point, I have yet found the time to take my bike into a shop, but I did find the time to run one last test on the bike. Last night I decided to take off the gas tank once more and hook my bike up to a car batter to see how well the starter would turn over. Well, it turned over, but barely. I would expect the starter to rip into life, turning over with some serious power given it is using a much larger battery. Instead, it barely turned over a few times, before settling down and clicking once more.

I am now under the impression that my starter is all gummed up, which leads me to two possible routes. I could buy a new starter and replace the existing one, or I could try to un-gum the existing one. The first option seems the better one, but cleaning a starter doesn't seem all that difficult.

I found the following video on how to clean a starter (yeah, I know that it isn't the same as the one on the bike, but it seems that the idea would be the same)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4TkfMWb3ys

What do you guys think? Is it worth trying to clean, or is replacing it a better option all around? More important, does anyone have a resource on how to replace a starter on a 2004 r1200cl?

I haven't cleaned a starter but have seen some videos and it certainly doesn't look difficult.

Have you been over to chromeheads.org yet? You'd probably get not only an answer but a "how to" post in about 10 minutes!

Back