• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BMW Motorrad Advisory: Stop Riding Your 2014 R1200RT

I can tell you that the "paperwork" included the waiver. Just picked mine up. There is a BUNCH of paperwork the dealer has to deal with, including the waiver, to get their reimbursement. My dealer chose to make me whole and submit for their reimbursement.

I'm back in love with the RT. An amazing bike. It's in the upper 90's right now so it'll wait until early morning cool for it's formal trashing.

Picking mine up this afternoon and dropping off the loaner ('06 RT). They will need to put a new rear tire on it!! I will be able to do an instant comparison, but I already know the results.

Picking mine up this afternoon and dropping off the loaner ('06 RT). They will need to put a new rear tire on it!! I will be able to do an instant comparison, but I already know the results.
And- Welcome to the forum!
Gary

New Shock Thoughts

Picked the bike up yesterday at noon. It was already hovering above 90 degrees so I opted to just ride it home. I noticed the bike rode better. Not as harsh as it was before. When my wife had time I returned to pick up my jeep. I asked the Mechanic if he knew of any issues with the old shock. He did tell me I had a fault code on the ESA when he did the 1st service. Anyway, the Soft, Medium, and firm actually make a difference.

So this morning I took off about an hour before sunrise for a little jaunt on varying roads. A little slab to some desert 2 lane to a mountain single lane run and finally the foothills home. From `400 feet ASL to over 9500 and back. 302 total miles. I didn't realize how much I missed my bike!

I've ordered the Wunderlich engine guards and I think I'll add the Shift Assist as well. Thanks to BMW and the compensation I can't talk about :whistle

This motorcycle is AMAZING!

Was the wait worth it? To me it was tolerable. We did some remodeling on the house that took most of June and July. We fit a mini vacation in August but once that was all complete the frustration started. Without the distractions I would have had a problem. The dissatisfaction with BMW and the whole mess will soon become a distant memory. I have 2 "Rallys" in the next 5 weeks so the miles will be piling up.

Moving on!

YES

Picked up today. It is wonderful and was worth waiting for. I just wish there was a longer riding season here.

I didn't realize that the shift assist is a dealer installed option. please advise? price?

It is available as a factory installed option, or a dealer installed option.

As a dealer installed option the part and activation code list for $656.45 plus the labor to install.

Attachments

• Shift Assist Pro.pdf
    44.9 KB · Views: 28
It is available as a factory installed option, or a dealer installed option.

As a dealer installed option the part and activation code list for $656.45 plus the labor to install.

Have you tried one? Maybe I didn't have enough time with it before trading the RTW - but it felt like a novelty, not something I would pay money to have on a bike. I stopped using it after a few hundred miles. Hill Start Control however, that's pretty cool!

YMMV.

Have you tried one? Maybe I didn't have enough time with it before trading the RTW - but it felt like a novelty, not something I would pay money to have on a bike. I stopped using it after a few hundred miles. Hill Start Control however, that's pretty cool!

YMMV.

It's my favorite option on the bike, it's one you use all the time. I miss it when I ride my other bikes.

Jay

YMMV.

I am in complete agreement. It was, in my opinion, a bragging rights technology deployment on a touring bike. Something that no other manufacturer offers in that category. Numerous good riders had reported it's limitations in the lower gears in numerous reviews. On my test ride on a demo I found the same. I specifically looked for a bike without it to help lower the cost on an option that did not have much use for me with my intended style of riding a 600lb Sport Tourer

I like shifting and downshifting and matching revs. Even on the track with a Duc 1098S I was perfectly happy without a speed shift although I can see where it's usefulness in the track setting would be welcomed. I really like the partial slipper clutch in the new RT and in the Duc MTS and felt the full slipper , dry clutch in the 1098S very useful.

The hill start assist won an award for good reason. Autos have had it for awhile and it is brilliant in a motorcycle.

I am in complete agreement. It was, in my opinion, a bragging rights technology deployment on a touring bike. Something that no other manufacturer offers in that category. Numerous good riders had reported it's limitations in the lower gears in numerous reviews. On my test ride on a demo I found the same. I specifically looked for a bike without it to help lower the cost on an option that did not have much use for me with my intended style of riding a 600lb Sport Tourer

I like shifting and downshifting and matching revs. Even on the track with a Duc 1098S I was perfectly happy without a speed shift although I can see where it's usefulness in the track setting would be welcomed. I really like the partial slipper clutch in the new RT and in the Duc MTS and felt the full slipper , dry clutch in the 1098S very useful.

The hill start assist won an award for good reason. Autos have had it for awhile and it is brilliant in a motorcycle.

Glad to hear this because the '14 that I will be getting next week has everything except shift assist and auto lock. Thanks for the report.

Karl makes a good point and I think I'm going to pass. My reasoning is I ride multiple bikes and sure enough I'll try shifting one of them without the clutch. Heck, when I get off the scooter I find myself pulling in the clutch on the bikes while trying to stop at the first couple of stops!

I used to own a Maico dirt bike that, once underway, you never used the clutch. When you did use it, it was a good workout! It used a belleville washer type of clutch spring. Never slipped but was a bear to pull in the lever! No computer on that bike!

While I have the shift assist on my bike, I find that I don't use it. After years on dirty bikes, I find that I can shift quicker the old way.

Picked my bike up on Saturday, and they fixed my shift assist whils doing the 600 mile service. i do like the shift assist, especially with the passenger, as it eliminates the bumping of helmets. I have not used it in downshifting.

Pictures and Options for 2014 R1200RT Engine Guards

Picked the bike up yesterday at noon. It was already hovering above 90 degrees so I opted to just ride it home. I noticed the bike rode better. Not as harsh as it was before. When my wife had time I returned to pick up my jeep. I asked the Mechanic if he knew of any issues with the old shock. He did tell me I had a fault code on the ESA when he did the 1st service. Anyway, the Soft, Medium, and firm actually make a difference.

So this morning I took off about an hour before sunrise for a little jaunt on varying roads. A little slab to some desert 2 lane to a mountain single lane run and finally the foothills home. From `400 feet ASL to over 9500 and back. 302 total miles. I didn't realize how much I missed my bike!

I've ordered the Wunderlich engine guards and I think I'll add the Shift Assist as well. Thanks to BMW and the compensation I can't talk about :whistle

This motorcycle is AMAZING!

Was the wait worth it? To me it was tolerable. We did some remodeling on the house that took most of June and July. We fit a mini vacation in August but once that was all complete the frustration started. Without the distractions I would have had a problem. The dissatisfaction with BMW and the whole mess will soon become a distant memory. I have 2 "Rallys" in the next 5 weeks so the miles will be piling up.

Moving on!

Apparently Touratech does not make an engine guard like Wunderlich, but they said they should have something available in a couple of months. Are these the only two options for the 2014 R1200RT ?

Jamie

Since almost no one is posting anything remotely related to the stop riding order and most seem to be back on their bikes, it may be time to close this thread. 50 plus pages of many of us whining and gnashing our teeth and then reporting finally about getting them back is pretty lengthy.

The subjects are already drifting and are back to the normal subjects that probably would be better found in separate threads like mods, accessory questions, etc.

Just my opinion.

Since almost no one is posting anything remotely related to the stop riding order and most seem to be back on their bikes, it may be time to close this thread. 50 plus pages of many of us whining and gnashing our teeth and then reporting finally about getting them back is pretty lengthy.

The subjects are already drifting and are back to the normal subjects that probably would be better found in separate threads like mods, accessory questions, etc.

Just my opinion.

I would tend to agree. So, if future posts aren't about you getting your bike back and your experiences with the whole process, please start a new thread. Eventually the reason this thread was started will drift into oblivion...or at least off the main page. :thumb

yea, well, my bike is still stuck in the New Jersey Processing Center..............unfixed!! Customer Service seems to have no idea when shocks will arrive at the processing center nor whether they will be installed there or shipped on to my dealer for installation. Dealers are already able to order shocks for bikes in stock that are unsold and mine has been sold, and paid for with a 2013 K1300S trade, since late May. Frustration does not even begin to describe my feelings.
ama

yea, well, my bike is still stuck in the New Jersey Processing Center..............unfixed!! Customer Service seems to have no idea when shocks will arrive at the processing center nor whether they will be installed there or shipped on to my dealer for installation. Dealers are already able to order shocks for bikes in stock that are unsold and mine has been sold, and paid for with a 2013 K1300S trade, since late May. Frustration does not even begin to describe my feelings.
ama
Ama, that sucks. Looks like there were some cracks that affected bikes slipped through that BMW missed. Hopefully your dealer will raise hell and get the bike moving along to you soon. You will love it although the speed of the K1300S is intoxicating.

Back