• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BMW Motorrad Advisory: Stop Riding Your 2014 R1200RT

Paper work says you release them from any other obligations concerning the $2500. There is a small bolt that may not be torqued correctly so they are replacing the bolt and making sure itis torqued to the right value.

My bike is home and all is good... Touring Sport BMW in Greenville, SC fixed it yesterday, but I did not get over to them until after work tonight. It was great to be back "home" on the bike heading home.

Unless you're planning on suing BMW over the shock issue, why wouldn't you sign the release and take the $2,500?

I signed it but no $ for 2-4 weeks.

Gee and I thought it was going to be delivered at time of fix. Given the communication history, for this debacle, perhaps dealer doesn't realize what he's suppose to do. Dealer probably needs to complete paper work and submit it, along with a picture of bike owner standing in front of his/her machine, holding the exact shock being installed...before check is sent.

Not an issue of suing them now, it is an issue of waiving your future rights depending on what may happen along the line. If the language of the waiver is such that you forego your rights to include the shock issue in any future action under existing lemon laws then those who do have the protection of such laws would be foolish to trust BMW at this point that nothing else will go wrong.

I'm willing to forgive this one, but not wipe it off the books. And, I never sign anything that would deny me full legal action in some future problem.

Well, next time you need a medical procedure done, read closely what you sign, because that is exactly what you will be doing. Of course, you can sue anytime/anywhere...for anything, as our society has certainly proven.

To the point....Seems new shock, if it now fails within remaining warranty period, would be fixed under bike's 36k/36m warranty. Would not this "release" pertain to this specific debacle, not the bike's prevailing warranty? Of course, one could pass on signing a release, forego the $2,500.00 with an idea (hope) that the shock fails later, then sue for BIG bucks? Or maybe not? Perhaps signing and taking the money might be a better option. That way one could still sue and use the $2,500 to help pay for a legal team to break that release??? Life is certainly complicated.

Well, next time you need a medical procedure done, read closely what you sign, because that is exactly what you will be doing. Of course, you can sue anytime/anywhere...for anything, as our society has certainly proven.

To the point....Seems new shock, if it now fails within remaining warranty period, would be fixed under bike's 36k/36m warranty. Would not this "release" pertain to this specific debacle, not the bike's prevailing warranty? Of course, one could pass on signing a release, forego the $2,500.00 with an idea (hope) that the shock fails later, then sue for BIG bucks? Or maybe not? Perhaps signing and taking the money might be a better option. That way one could still sue and use the $2,500 to help pay for a legal team to break that release??? Life is certainly complicated.
In most states you can not sign away your legal rights. They are just that, legal rights. I'll most likely make a notation above my signature stating that I'm am in no way giving up my rights under the original warranty or California Law.

We'll see if they send me a check. Then it might be time to release the hounds if they don't.

BTW I was told by BMW CS that the check would be delivered at the time you pick up your bike... again bad communication.

Greg

The way I understood the document the only thing wavied was trying to get the $2500 again. Nothing pertaining to the shock.

This makes sense.

Today, I picked up my RT and the $2,500.00. I was #82 on the list. It felt good to ride it again. The dealer could not have been more cooperative during this waiting period. My dealer in Fort Lauderdale has always gone the extrta mile for me. I have been doing business with them since 1990 and they are the reason I have been riding BMW's all these years.

Today, I picked up my RT and the $2,500.00. I was #82 on the list. It felt good to ride it again. The dealer could not have been more cooperative during this waiting period. My dealer in Fort Lauderdale has always gone the extrta mile for me. I have been doing business with them since 1990 and they are the reason I have been riding BMW's all these years.

So some getting the $2,500.00 at time of fix and others not? Interesting.

Finally Got Her Back

Today, I picked up my RT and the $2,500.00. I was #19 on the list. It felt good to ride it again. The dealer could not have been more cooperative during this waiting period. My dealer in Nashville (Bloodworth Motors) has always gone the extra mile for me. I have been doing business with them for quite some time on numerous bikes. They are the reason I have been riding BMW's all these years. I'm happy again..:dance

Today, I picked up my RT and the $2,500.00. I was #19 on the list. It felt good to ride it again. The dealer could not have been more cooperative during this waiting period. My dealer in Nashville (Bloodworth Motors) has always gone the extra mile for me. I have been doing business with them for quite some time on numerous bikes. They are the reason I have been riding BMW's all these years. I'm happy again..:dance

Mike, did you get your check when you picked it up?

Thanks,
Greg

A new twist

BMW sent out an email to dealers clarifying the $2500 check to owners. The dealer is supposed to write the check and then submit a warranty claim for reimbursement.

And I thought WE were getting screwed. The dealer with 7 bikes will have to fund $17,500 out of THEIR pocket and wait the 30 days for BMW to reimburse along with the labor to make the swap.

The BMW Area rep was quick to get THAT email out but still nothing about the shock for my bike or why it isn't listed on the list.

Can this possibly get any better?

Sorry to bore you all with my rants. It's just the frustration with trying to get some information!

Back