• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Bison "headbutts" car in Yellowstone in preparation for BMW Rally.......

Beware at night: Friend has been a Yellowstone Ranger 2 years: Cars hit these dark animals at night in the park quite often.

Nah. I have since returned to Custer and interacted with herds and solo (rogue) bulls. Just keep your distance, respect their short temperment, and have an escape path in mind should things get 'interesting.'

Also, by July, the spring calves are nearly weaned and the patriarchs of the herd a little less agitated at your presence. OK - also helps to have a quiet beemer (preferably not red).

I'd be disappointed riding thru Yellowstone if I didn't see at least several bison.

Impressive animals! :thumb

So, I might have to make some other plans?

Attachments

• wing photo 2.jpg
    wing photo 2.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 100
Go see the beasts - hell, on a Wing at least you outweigh them! :dance

The average weight for a full grown male buffalo is 1600 pounds, but they may weigh over 2000 pounds. Females normally weigh 1000 to 1100 pounds. I think the buffalo has the wing beat on weight! Possibly a rattle can with a different bike color may be the best route to pursue!:brad

Camping in Custer

On the advice of a client who camped at Custer State Park a while back, he couldn't recommend it enough. His family had rented a small cabin (which by definition is giving it all the best of it because there isn't much to them) and awoke one morning to his cabin shaking and some sort of noise. Turns out it was a bison scratching its back on the side wall. Interesting alarm to wake up to...no snooze! I will be tent camping which represents a totally different dynamic if I come upon an itchy beast in the morning.

The average weight for a full grown male buffalo is 1600 pounds, but they may weigh over 2000 pounds. Females normally weigh 1000 to 1100 pounds. I think the buffalo has the wing beat on weight! Possibly a rattle can with a different bike color may be the best route to pursue!:brad

You know I made that comment "tongue-in-cheek?" :scratch

I own a 2012 Gold Wing and can dance it thru The Tail of the Dragon like my RT. :thumb

You know I made that comment "tongue-in-cheek?" :scratch

I own a 2012 Gold Wing and can dance it thru The Tail of the Dragon like my RT. :thumb

Sure, I understand. Hence my dancing smiley face...... My previous career as a butcher made me publish the average weight possibilities...:)
I've not had the pleasure of riding a GW yet, but hear that they are very, very limber on roads that you would not think they would be comfortable with.

On the advice of a client who camped at Custer State Park a while back, he couldn't recommend it enough. His family had rented a small cabin (which by definition is giving it all the best of it because there isn't much to them) and awoke one morning to his cabin shaking and some sort of noise. Turns out it was a bison scratching its back on the side wall. Interesting alarm to wake up to...no snooze! I will be tent camping which represents a totally different dynamic if I come upon an itchy beast in the morning.

Custer SP is my favorite park in the country, and the only place my wife and I have ever agreed upon as a place we could agree on as a possible relocation. It's the only place that I've been able to go rock climbing (Needles) in the morning, fly fishing during the day, and gaming ( up at Deadwood) in the evening. Make sure to stop by Crazy Horse sculpture while passing through, as it is a work in progress with many years to go. We stop by there at least every 8 to 10 years to catch up on their progress.

Sure, I understand. Hence my dancing smiley face...... My previous career as a butcher made me publish the average weight possibilities...:)
I've not had the pleasure of riding a GW yet, but hear that they are very, very limber on roads that you would not think they would be comfortable with.

I saw the smiling face. Just wanted to make sure I was not misleading anyone. And thanks for the weights - I had always wondered just how big those beasts were - impressive animals!

Yes - the 2nd generation (2012 and up) Gold Wings are very nimble, and I dance them thru twisties with the best of any other brands.

Only my H-D Road King that I rode 8 hrs. a day as a Motor Officer could out-perform the Wing in terms of big bike manners. The Wing seems to shed about 300 lbs. above a walking pace, but that H-D was tough to put down no matter how much I abused it. :dance

I have a funny story. I was in Custer before I bought a bike again. There were bison in the road, car in front decides to honk at them. One Bison lowers his head and feints a charge. The idiot throws his brown Taurus in reverse and hits me in my cherry 92 Dynasty. I had 5 mph bumpers. No damage, except some ugly brown paint on a bumper guard. His trunk would not close.

Dodge gets a LOT of crap. But mine have all been great. After I was thru with it, a friend bought it and let his daughters have at it. In the end, it still drove, all 4 corners were hit, the air bag popped and a radiator leak. But it still ran just fine, transmission too, never rebuilt and 200K miles.

Rod

Back