• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

bike tire shortage?

ramble

ohbeemer
Wanted to try Metzler but not available at my normal tire guy, he can get road 4's so may stick with those. Just wondering if the supply chain issue is the reason for possibly no tires at the national rally as far as we know. Anyone found shortages in their neck of the woods?

Wanted to try Metzler but not available at my normal tire guy, he can get road 4's so may stick with those. Just wondering if the supply chain issue is the reason for possibly no tires at the national rally as far as we know. Anyone found shortages in their neck of the woods?

I noticed tire shortage issues about 6-9 months ago when I went to put my RT back on the road. Granted there are only a few choices for the older bikes, but I was only able to find one set tires. When I mean one set, it wasn't just one brand and model, but literally only one set of tires at one retailer (based on availability indicated on websites and dealer's availability to get tires). I still hear and see supply shortages in all areas. Unfortunately, I don't think it's going to go away anytime soon. Whenever I go out shopping (for just about anything), I always notice a blank are on the shelves, or a large display on the shelves for a few products covering the inability to get some items. I've just come to realize that this is the new norm for the near term--at least I hope it's just for the near term.

I like to keep a set on hand so I’m not searching when I need a tire. I put a new rear on my oilhead this spring and searched high and low for new stock. None of the regular sources had anything to fit including the Michelins I was looking for. I finally found a set of Metzlers, in Italy. The incredible thing was that after purchasing them, they were on my doorstep inside of two weeks.

Take away, don’t wait to purchase tires until you need them. Stay a set ahead.

Last week I called Cycle Clinic in Des Moines and asked him to order 2 sets of Dunlop Roadsmart 3 tires.
I told him we did not need them for a month or two but thought I better order ahead just to be sure.
He thought it was a good idea to order ahead and he would set them back for us.

'21 R1250RT, Front 180-55, Z R17, Rear 120-70, Z R17. They will also fit my '11 R1200R.

I've got a set of rs4's in that size on order presently. The pair I have in the garage are going on in two weeks in prep for my trip. So a second set will be here to replace those when I get back.

Some sizes and brands may not be available, or in short supply, but these rs4's seem readily available.

I work part-time at a dealership (not BMW), and we have never had a problem getting tires....

We've had a few BMW riders in here getting tires.

I'm struggling to find my normal rear tire for my 1200gs.
I usually use Michelin Pilot Trail 5.
I came to this forum and am now searching for threads on other tires that are comparable. And I'll buy 2. Or maybe even 3...

Back