• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Anyone have the BMW Tank Bag? 2012 R1200RT

Firenailer

I was looking at the BMW Tank Bag for my '12 RT today at Max's. Does anyone have this bag (#71607706363), and how do you like it?

Any other suggestions?

Yes I have one, and I like it. It's nice to have the luggage piece that was specifically designed for the receiver on the R1200RT tank and have it click right in with no straps. It works great and is very convenient.

Is it over priced, Yes at $350 what else can you say. :dunno

It's the same question when you look at the 49L case, it's $1000. For most of my riding I like the 28L case better, but I have both cases because on a long hall you can't beat the 49L case if you're out for several days.

-JT

Expensive but worth the convenience of the design. Easy to take on and off quickly when fueling or at other pit stops. You can find used ones on eBay but they seem to sell just slightly less than new, like $50 -$75. For that little savings I bought new. I got 15% off from the dealer. You can buy less expensive bags but I can't emphasize enough how easy it is to put on and take off. If you have not seen one in person you need to and you need to play with it before pulling the trigger on another. I can't imagine making long trips and dicking around with a zipper or straps to fuel each time.

Overpriced typical BMW stuff. I'm very happy with my FOX tank bag and it is no problem to release one rear clip and flip it out of the way for fueling. I like the expandable feature and keep my tire gauge and owners manual in it along with insurance papers and registration. It also is a handy place for my pistol.

I GOT 1 FOR MY NEWER RT. i liked it so much, i bought another 1. added an electric kit.
i use the non- electric one where theft is a real possibility. i just leave it on the bike.
if you don't let your bike cook in the sun, these things will really last. the bmw one, well, you get what you pay for. j

P1010006-2.jpg

I got one new with my '07 RT. The plastic map pocket turned yellow and totally fell apart after a few years. Perhaps they have upgraded the material by now. Other than the map pocket failure, I like it. I electrified it with a Powerlet kit.

I've had one for 4 years. No problems with yellowing; like the convienence of easy off and on; wish it had some external compartments.

I've been through many and the BMW one is the best. Always waterproof as is, and just the right size.

^ me too, I have one as well. i think it's ugly, but the functionality of it trumps all others. when it's hot, cold, or raining, the last thing i want to deal with are straps and buckles. one click and the BMW tank bag is either on or off.

you do get what you pay for. :thumb

OK, thanks guys! I was pretty much sold on it just because of the ease of use, but I'm glad to hear that it will also hold up well.

I'm going to look at a few others at the bike show this weekend, but I think I'll probably go with this one. It just works so smoothly.

Nobody ever claimed this BMW hobby of ours was going to be cheap!

i think it's ugly, but the functionality of it trumps all others.
Have you ever seen any tank bag that was good looking? :scratch

I used BMW tank bags on the two GSs that I owned. They never yellowed. :thumb

I just bought one for the RT. I agree. They're sorta' ugly . . . but they do work. The one for the RT has the best mounting system that I have seen in any tank bag. That sold me.

After about 5 years my BMW bag yellowed and the plastic became weak (and it didn't see a lot of sun). I really like the mounting system and so I bought a different brand and attached it to the mounting system of the BMW bag. So, I only paid the high price once and I will continue to reuse the mount as needed.

I like my BMW tankbag. I only use it for occasional touring, not for the daily commute. I use the big topcase for that. Can't beat the attachment design...

My gets full hot sun in Phoenix, and has never yellowed. I also just rinse it with water if it gets buggy or dirty.

After about 5 years my BMW bag yellowed and the plastic became weak (and it didn't see a lot of sun). I really like the mounting system and so I bought a different brand and attached it to the mounting system of the BMW bag. So, I only paid the high price once and I will continue to reuse the mount as needed.

I've had a couple of tank bags repaired at a local luggage repair shop. They also have clear vinyl and can repair map compartment windows. Best part is their services are very inexpensive.

A tank bag actually made for the bike in question is the way to go, isn't it?

Does anyone else make a bag specifically for the RT or do they try to sell you a "universal" bag.

Specifically made for the bike should be worth some amount of $$.

Touratech makes a bag specific to RT. It is curved, nice detachable map pocket and quick release via two front half turn tabs. However, is isn't very tall, but I like that. Plenty of room for a camera, phone, extra maps and whatever. I think A&S BMW sales it in the $16X.00 area. Good quality. I'd classify it as a reasonably priced tank bag for people who don't typically like tank bags.

Back