• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

An annual (seemingly) inquiry...with no answer...R100RS mirror extensions

The mirrors installed on 1990s RS and RT are changed and are larger and glass is a bit convex. They bolt right up and are an improvement.

They used to be cheap but are now $75.

I survived with original mirrors on my '84 RS for ~25 years never thinking I needed anything more. If you're much bigger than me, you're riding a too small bike. These were designed for Europeans, not American giants.

RT mirrors

Funny, last summer I replaced my RT mirrors on my 84 RT with the new ones for the RT. They came from BMW and are not concave, just slightly bigger and more square. On my RS, adding concave mirrors would not do a thing.

Yes, I understand the size differences between average riders and myself. I don't fall into the average. I get a kick out of how much fuss is made about Americans getting bigger yet, I find few clothing stores stock bigger sizes. I am not fat so much as broad shouldered and tall.

Sorry Hans, when you designed the RS, you should have asked a few bigger guys what they thought of the view to the rear. St.

Gee! And here I thought all German motorcyclists had 36” inseams and shoulders to match. Plus that, their cars are smaller making them even harder to see. Guess I should just install a rear view camera with the mirrors as monitors.

Funny, last summer I replaced my RT mirrors on my 84 RT with the new ones for the RT. They came from BMW and are not concave, just slightly bigger and more square. On my RS, adding concave mirrors would not do a thing.

Yes, I understand the size differences between average riders and myself. I don't fall into the average. I get a kick out of how much fuss is made about Americans getting bigger yet, I find few clothing stores stock bigger sizes. I am not fat so much as broad shouldered and tall.

Sorry Hans, when you designed the RS, you should have asked a few bigger guys what they thought of the view to the rear. St.

The description is convex, not concave. Higher in the center. They are described as convex in the parts catalog.

At 6-3 even I was too big for an RS, as I had to install a slightly larger windscreen so I could see under to view the clock and voltmeter. Of course that height affected angle of view toward the mirrors. When they designed the RS they designed it for Germans.

Left side done...right side pending. A drill, tap, die and two mirrors from Revzilla. Separate mounts used, so easy back to stock. Got a 20 mile ride in today, touched 85 with strong head wind without flutter or twist. I could see all behind me with the winter gear on. May shorten stem a tad more...or not.

Attachments

• IMG_7887.jpg
    IMG_7887.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_7889.jpg
    IMG_7889.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_7891.jpg
    IMG_7891.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 45
RS mirrors

Looks like it belongs on the bike. :thumb
OM

Agreed! They have the "Euro" vibe for aesthetics and much needed practicality. This discussion, more than others over the years, has whetted my appetite. When I put my '78 back on the road it will sport the improved hardware.

Russ '76 R90/6 '78 R80/7 '78 R100RS big pipe

The description is convex, not concave. Higher in the center. They are described as c

Maybe your parts department has a different source for mirrors. The ones I got from BMW were plain flat mirrors. As I said, they were slightly bigger and more square than rectangular in over all shape. It makes no difference if I installed them on my RS, they would have have been not much better than the original mirrors.

Maybe part way through the parts cycle or manufacturing cycle BMW changed them? LOL, I am sorry for being such a pain. St.

So you mounted these bar-end mirrors in the RS mirror mounts? How did that help? They appear much smaller and wouldn't extend out as far as the stock mirrors.

These are similar but not the same brand as mine, I don't think the ones I have are made anymore.They attach to the end of the handlebar and get the mirrors out far enough to see around your elbows. They work great on "S" bars.

napoleon-bar-end-mirror-front.jpg

One would think (hope) that a company as big and as experienced as BMW could figure out how to place a rear view mirror so it was actually useful without the need for owners to devise strange strategies for mirrors. In my case, on a '95 K75RTP I installed normal handlebar mounted mirrors from a K75 standard. Once, I put pictures of my grandsons over the stock mirrors so they would actually serve some useful purpose.:banghead

These are similar but not the same brand as mine, I don't think the ones I have are made anymore.They attach to the end of the handlebar and get the mirrors out far enough to see around your elbows. They work great on "S" bars.

View attachment 86204

That’s what I thought. May be if you are mounting those on an S fairing bike, not an RS. Mount those on a real RS and you can’t turn as they hit fairing. Apples and Oranges.

Last edited:
Okay, I am very harsh regarding the subject of speeding for good reasons. We as motorcyclists are not above the law when it comes to speed limits.

The road my house borders on is a posted 45mph limit, I don't like seeing a yahoo in any kind of vehicle riding 20mph over that limit going past.

Obviously I don't like the yahoos riding up my backside either be it a truck, car or bike.

The idea we have to keep ahead of the traffic is fine to a degree and I do the same. Sorry, 20mph faster is not the answer and again we are not special people who make our own rules. That said, I told someone to think of the physics involved when an 82 year old with poor eyesight pulls out in front of you or left turns while you are doing 20 over. I also commented to this person, if riders want to go fast, go to the race tracks, public highways are not for speeding. Perhaps out west there are areas of high or unlimited speed limits, but around me, there are not.

The problems starts with one person getting away with it then another and another until we have the situation now where a large percentage of operators think it is their right to go fast and it is becoming dangerous. Add to this the fact the average driver either hates motorcycles outright, barely tolerates them or sees them as something in their way, and we are never going to be on a positive side. Adding to this by bad behavior only makes things worse.

Now as to what do I do when a Ford 3500 dually rolls up to within a few feet of my rear, it depends entirely upon the situation I am in. If I can pull over safely to let the ass pass, I will. On multilane roads, I try always to stay right unless overtaking myself. No, I have never had a rear end collision thank God, but, then again, I never had such a large amount of aggressive drivers, trying to get me out of the way so they can go to work, soccer practice or the gym.

Like I told someone, tact is not one of my strong points and also the truth hurts. Motorcyclists have always been a threatened minority, there is no need to add to the threat. St.

I spend my time riding in low population density areas, which fortunately start right outside my neighborhood. The chances of a car or truck rolling up behind me with 20+ on my speed is between zero and none.

Seriously. I can leave here and not see a traffic light all day long while I cover a few hundred miles of coastal range roads made out of awesome.

When I lived in Mass., where there are cops behind every tree and no open, unincorporated land in the entire state, I'd agree with you 100%. Situations vary. Population density varies. I have crummy mirrors on my Ducati 916, but it really doesn't matter. The chances of being caught up to are generally slim and none, tailgaters are dispatched with relative ease and given the relative lack of residents and cops in most of the state, you can pretty much help yourself to any speed you'd like. Just go slow through towns because nobody likes a jerk.

One of the "newer" RT

I like Paul's comment about mirrors and BMW. Am I correct there is a oil head or some post 95 RT boxer which had the mirrors mounted in the fairing rather than on stalks of any kind? I would imagine that would be a real challenge to improve.

I vaguely recall snippets of Airhead reviews for the RS and RT airheads sniping about the poor rear view.

Those of you who have no traffic or ride so fast you are always in front, have no cops, lucky you the stock mirrors work fine. 40 years ago, it was a small minority of people pushing the speed limits and tailgating. With today's growing lack of respect for others, and the law, in my area the percentage has increased to perhaps 30% of the people I encounter in traffic need to have a clear eye kept on them so I can ride safe. St.

RS mirror project completed...

Total cost $100, which included an initially "experimental" BMW left mirror mount, two short stem/two joint mirrors from Revzilla, a 10mm die, tap, washers and nuts. Of course, already had the drill and bits. No mods to fairing. Drilled out mount mirror holes to 11/32's, then tapped to 10mm. 10mm die to long end of mirror stems, then cut off original threads to desired stem length. Ground nuts to fit into bottom of mounts. Road tested to 85 mph...all stable. Only need to buy one new right mount if someone ever wants it back to stock. The mirror view is now quite informative, even with winter gear on.

Attachments

• IMG_7914.jpg
    IMG_7914.jpg
    308.2 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_7836.PNG
    IMG_7836.PNG
    475.5 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_7915.jpg
    IMG_7915.jpg
    326.4 KB · Views: 38
Back