• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

An annual (seemingly) inquiry...with no answer...R100RS mirror extensions

motodan

is mirror extensions for R100RS models. I know it's been 29 model years since last unit was built having this need however, I'd still buy a set if they existed. Anyone have a lead?

Using a 3D printer to make something of your own design may be your only hope. There are people on ADVRider who make parts for sale and perhaps you could find a company on line that prints parts for people. If you can get it done there may be other RS owners interested in buying them from the people who make them.

For a number of years I used the extensions made by Nick Greear (sp?) with the OEM mirrors on my 77 R100RS. Above 75 mph on the super and the mirrors would flap like a bird's wings.

After hearing the positive comments by many and seeing the implementation of the sport bike mirrors on the airhead RS I replaced the OEM mirrors and extensions with the sport bike mirrors. Finally, I can see traffic behind me and the mirrors are very stable. These mirrors are easily rotatable up for storage (I use some plastic washers to help to lessen the friction when rotating the mirrors). The installation was super easy and the OEM mirrors can easily be re-installed (i.e., there was no modification needed to the bike).

I obtained the sport bike mirrors from the 'zon (about $20 each) -

Emgo 20-35222 Matte Black Left Side Replacement Mirror for Honda CBR600RR-AC/A/CBR1000RR-A
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000N5S9VO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Emgo 20-35221 Matte Black Right Side Replacement Mirror for Honda CBR600RR-AC/A/CBR1000RR-A
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000N5VTUC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

41qMthbLkiL._AC_SL1200_.jpg51VZhY+iiJL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

Questions were posed to me regarding my use of the sport bike mirrors on my R100RS. There is no need to drill holes. I took a few photos to illustrate the ease by which these sport bike mirrors can be used.

The first image shows the sport bike mirror. It is necessary to remove the screw and base (part with two holes).

sport bike mirror.jpg

Next remove the OEM mirror. This is done by removing the rubber plug from the mount, then removing the nut (10 mm socket needed). The OEM mirror can be pushed out once the nut and perhaps a washer is removed. I used a stainless steel m5 or m6 (can't recall, but was same thread diameter and pitch as on OEM mirror) screw and nut. I prefer the nylock or stop nuts. A small plastic and stainless washer were also used. This view is from the bottom of the OEM mirror mount, this is used to hold the sport bike mirror.

Use OEM mount1.jpg

The next figure shows the top of the sport bike mirror attached to the OEM mount. I used a stainless button socket cap screw with a plastic washer. It is not necessary to go crazy tightening the screw and nut. If the mirror is pushed back by wind at highway speeds, then tighten a wee bit more. I tested mine to about 85 mph (closed course, professional driver, don't try this at home, etc. warnings and cautions :) ).

OEM mount sport bike mirror2.jpg

The next couple of images are back and front views of the sport bike mirror in the deployed position.

OEM mount sport bike mirror3.jpgOEM mount sport bike mirror4.jpg

Lastly I present an image showing the mirror rotated up to facilitate parking the bike adjacent to another bike.

OEM mount sport bike mirror5.jpg

mirrors

Pictures tell a thousand words as do past forum searches. The pictures Robsryder, posted are basically the same thing I posted a few years ago. The Emgo mirrors, no drilling, no special brackets, no fuss no muss. My only complaint regarding them is they look like a Japanese bike part, not German, but they do work and it is nice not to be looking at my shoulders when a jerk in his Ford 2500 is trying to run me over on the freeway because I am only going 5 over the speed limit and he wants to do 15. St.

Pictures tell a thousand words as do past forum searches. The pictures Robsryder, posted are basically the same thing I posted a few years ago. The Emgo mirrors, no drilling, no special brackets, no fuss no muss. My only complaint regarding them is they look like a Japanese bike part, not German, but they do work and it is nice not to be looking at my shoulders when a jerk in his Ford 2500 is trying to run me over on the freeway because I am only going 5 over the speed limit and he wants to do 15. St.

I agree with you as one answer to the problem, but also agree with your one reservation...the "foreign" look. I want better rearward optics however, also want to preserve the RS's rare form as best I can. I ordered a set of black aluminum mirror extenders from Revzilla. Going to find out if my grinder and Dremel can move these stock mirrors out 1 1/2 inches. If not, I'll only be out $20.00 and then move on to a short stem mirror that'll adhere to the stock mounts.

Attachments

• shopping.png
    shopping.png
    1.9 KB · Views: 203
For several years I have vacillated as to which of BMW's design efforts were the most wanting: Faired bike mirors or sidestands. I still haven't decided which is the worst.

I never came to grips with stock Airhead sidestands. Every Airhead got an aftermarket stand. And the spear points on F800 stands got big enlargers. And I added handlebar mount mirrors to my K75RT and K1100LT. Once I pasted photos of my grandsons onto the stock LT mirrors to provide them some useful purpose.

Last edited:
40 years ago

LOL, 40 years ago, I never worried about what was behind me. Law enforcement had sirens to wake me up to pull over. Now, I don't ride as fast but still fast and at five over the speed limit, I risk getting run over by monster pickups, college girls in Kias, and soccer moms in SUVs. Seeing what is behind me prompted me to change out the mirrors on the RS. I went with the Emgo fix and after a few days put the Japanese bike look thought out of my head as it just didn't matter. The vastly improved rear view was worth it and it didn't require any drilling, or fussing about.

As for the side stand, I went to ride off stands and almost never use the side stand. Since the ride off stand installation, I have never had a bike fall over unlike the days with the stock center stand or side stand. Sadly, the ride off stands are like hen's teeth now. St.

Part of the reason I bought an airhead is for the fussing/putting around…that garage tranquility thing.

Stats

Less than 7% of motorcycle accidents are from being hit from the rear. Most motorcycle accidents happen at intersections with cagers makings left hand turns in front of cyclist. The cager not seeing the motorcycle and just maybe the cyclist checking his rear view mirror. It only takes a split second for something to happen in front of you when your traveling 50-80 mph.

I've never had a problem in 40 years seeing with the stock mirrors on my rs. I understand you need to check sometimes to the rear but a slight lean of the shoulder and you can see. I ride almost everyday in traffic and full attention needs to be toward the front. But that's just my opinion and everyone has one.

I don't know

Look, the RS stock mirrors sucked on my bike, I am not an average size person, so all I ever saw was my shoulders unless I leaned way over. Second, I will agree the majority of accidents happen as posted however now in my neck of the woods drivers are exceeding the speed limits far more than I ever did even 40 years ago. I NEED a quick way to see the jerk in a 3500 pick up rolling up behind me at 20 over the limit. Same goes for the soccer moms in their SUVs and the college girls in Kias.

If the stock mirrors work that is great. Sadly for a lot of BMW bikes even some of the newer bikes rear view was last in consideration over style. There are simple ways to fix a problem BMW designers should have thought of and fixed back in the day but didn't. St.

Situational awareness for me includes being aware of threats from 360 degrees. So mirrors that actually work as intended are important.

I agree

Situational awareness is most important, so what do you do on a two lane road when a (and I quote) jerk in a 3500 pickup rolls up behind you 20 miles over the limit? Do you flash your brakes lights to let him know you're there, speed up over the limit or pull over in the ditch? I never have that problem because I'm usually going 20 miles over the speed limit.

Situational awareness, like I agree is most important, but in my over 50 years of riding I have never had someone run over me from behind but I have had many pull out in front of me over the years.
If you pay attention to the front, you'll stay alive a lot longer.

This all leads back to the original mirrors on the early model Rs. To me it was one of the most beautiful bikes BMW ever made and the mirrors were part of that beauty. I've learned to adjust the sails and live with the mirrors and I recognize that some can't and that's OK. We're all different; thank goodness.

You are part of the problem

Situational awareness is most important, so what do you do on a two lane road when a (and I quote) jerk in a 3500 pickup rolls up behind you 20 miles over the limit? Do you flash your brakes lights to let him know you're there, speed up over the limit or pull over in the ditch? I never have that problem because I'm usually going 20 miles over the speed limit.

Good for you going 20 over the speed limit, that is the same stupid arrogant attitude the jerks in their trucks, SUVs and so on have. Now it is not just one or two people per outing but almost half doing exactly what you think you have the right to do.

I don't know what your idea of situational awareness is but it is a far cry from mine. No, I have never been run over but at least now with the mirror modifications, I can see someone who might where before I couldn't. I will take the ugly extended mirrors over the pretty stock ones any day.

Enjoy being a part of the problem. St.

I Quote, "ugly extended mirrors"

In the cage I usually stay at the posted speed limit but on the Bike I usually stay ahead of the traffic. That has been my strategy for over 50 years and it's worked out well. And, I never ride anyone's tail whether I'm in the cage or on the bike; that's never a good option.

I won't stoop to calling names as some do on the Forum but I still ask the question of what do you do when a driver in a cage comes up behind you who is obviously going faster than you. You've glanced in your, (and I Quote) "ugly extended mirror" and see a (and I quote) jerk in monster truck, a jerk in a Kia or a jerk soccer mom coming; what do you do? How about answering a question about something you apparently have a problem with. What would your ugly extended mirrors allow you to do? ( forgive me, I forgot to Quote)

My reaction would be to pull over to the right side of the lane and let the Jerks go by and not do anything that would inflame the jerks.

it depends

Okay, I am very harsh regarding the subject of speeding for good reasons. We as motorcyclists are not above the law when it comes to speed limits.

The road my house borders on is a posted 45mph limit, I don't like seeing a yahoo in any kind of vehicle riding 20mph over that limit going past.

Obviously I don't like the yahoos riding up my backside either be it a truck, car or bike.

The idea we have to keep ahead of the traffic is fine to a degree and I do the same. Sorry, 20mph faster is not the answer and again we are not special people who make our own rules. That said, I told someone to think of the physics involved when an 82 year old with poor eyesight pulls out in front of you or left turns while you are doing 20 over. I also commented to this person, if riders want to go fast, go to the race tracks, public highways are not for speeding. Perhaps out west there are areas of high or unlimited speed limits, but around me, there are not.

The problems starts with one person getting away with it then another and another until we have the situation now where a large percentage of operators think it is their right to go fast and it is becoming dangerous. Add to this the fact the average driver either hates motorcycles outright, barely tolerates them or sees them as something in their way, and we are never going to be on a positive side. Adding to this by bad behavior only makes things worse.

Now as to what do I do when a Ford 3500 dually rolls up to within a few feet of my rear, it depends entirely upon the situation I am in. If I can pull over safely to let the ass pass, I will. On multilane roads, I try always to stay right unless overtaking myself. No, I have never had a rear end collision thank God, but, then again, I never had such a large amount of aggressive drivers, trying to get me out of the way so they can go to work, soccer practice or the gym.

Like I told someone, tact is not one of my strong points and also the truth hurts. Motorcyclists have always been a threatened minority, there is no need to add to the threat. St.

The other issue once you can see the car or truck coming up on you is "how close is it?" With the OEM convex mirrors on both sides, you don't get the true distance. I found a BMW mirror with plane glass in the parts book (I think it was for New Zealand spec bikes) and ordered it from the dealer. He didn't even know about it until I got him to look it up. That was a while ago. Harley used to put one plane glass mirror on their bikes when I had a Sportster (1973).

Emgo

The Emgo mirrors I added have plain flat mirrors, no convex. None of my original mirrors had convex lenses. I swapped out my original mirrors on my 84RT for a set from a 95 which are bigger but really don't extend any further. They are flat. I always get a kick when I see the Gary Larson comic strip of the big eye in the side mirror. but yeah, they are sometimes a pain.

At least with the RT fairing, it is wider and so I haven't had to extend the mirrors yet. If ai get any wider, and I am working not to, I may have to in the future. St.

The handlebar mounted OEM mirrors on my K75s, our Oilheads, and our G310s are all flat mirrors with no distance distortion. I can't say for sure about the fairing mounted mirrors on my K75RTP since I don't use them but I think they are flat too.

Back