• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

After market exhaust

DennisK_ID

I’ve gone round and round on this and still don’t know squat.

I have a 2005 R1200GS. About a year ago a Rawhyde instructor told me replacing the stock header with an aftermarket exhaust would “really open up the bike”. When I asked what brand, he mentioned Remus and said the muffler wasn’t as important. It was the header that I should change. He seemed to know a lot about R1200GS bikes.

I asked a mechanic at the local dealer who also said that I would notice a difference and it would help throughout the range, including low end torque. He said it does no good unless you also provide more air intake through a different air filter. He said replacing the header and leaving the stock, more restricting, muffler wouldn’t make any sense.

A local guy who rides a lot of dirt on his R12 was pretty high on Remus. He runs a Remus and uses it with a stock paper air filter plus has added an oiled foam sock over the snorkel input (he doesn't want dust in the intake). He said I would save about 17 pounds. Pounds are important to him. Also most local riders I’ve talked to seem to think eliminating the catalytic converter is a big plus.

OD on stock is about 1.76”, the Remus pipes are 1.86”. That’s 11% more volume. From what I can find on line, going to bigger pipes doesn’t give better performance in all ranges. Eliminating the cat and getting a better flowing muffler may be what you are buying. However, the bike will read the different set-up and make adjustments. So info on car forums is probably not relevant. Performance gains could be because of how the bike's brain changes other things after you make the changes. Anybody know?

I’m torn (and confused) about the cat issue. OK it is a heat radiator right under the tranny but I like to think I’m about as enviro-friendly as a guy can get who likes motor sports. Removing the cat and adding one near the muffler is about a $400 change. Just removing it (and keeping the stock exhaust without the ceramic disks) is an option several people seem to prefer. Does the cat change the exhaust gas flow? What happens on removal?

So I have a Remus complete system that I bought used. It was from a newer bike so I had to fabricate a connection piece to go where the flapper valve would go. After getting it on and realizing I wasn’t going to get all leaks eliminated without some tweaking of the header by a muffler shop, I noticed my HB crash bars and my aftermarket bash plate have fitment issues. The out-to-out of the Remus header is way over the same dimension on the stock. If I had the Remus actually made for my bike, would that be as much of a problem? Anybody have hard info on that?

Edit: The only locally listed muffler shop doesn't have mandrels and can't even try to make the header fit closer to the bike. I did get it to seal better so fit with other after market parts is the main issue. I have it for sale in the flea market.

Last edited:
Ive run remus with several diff collectors on my 09 hex and like em, closed loop enriched via 02 censor manipulation helps tramendesly. the header itself can be a bit confusing without a balance pipe when trying to match your airflow through intake and exhaust a 100%, valves ect,,bla bla bla. i jes wana ride.

enrichment?

Ratze, by different collectors do you mean you ran the muffler with the stock header and with an aftermarket exhaust? Was the enrichment you mentioned the bike adjusting to the new set-up via the closed loop thing or do you have means to test and adjust the bike’s settings? The dealer's mechanic said to let the bike idle with the new set-up for 10 minutes without touching the throttle. The Rawhyde instructor also said that the bike was smart enough to sense the new set-up and make adjustments. I'd think increasing the richness to avoid a lean condition from more air running through would be what it would be doing. Is that what you think gave better response and did you like it?

Obviously if the Remus exhaust did not have fit-up problems with my other aftermarket parts I'd be keeping it for the riding season to answer the questions myself. Being a sub-average rider I'm not smarter than BMW engineers when it comes to bigger, beefier bash plates and engine protection bars but, luckily, a former owner seems to have been. Since I like dirt I won't trade my crash protection for the new exhaust even if I did like the bike's response with the system. Like I said above, people with a lot more experience with this bike than I have think the change would be noticeable and a welcome improvement from stock.

Ratze, by different collectors do you mean you ran the muffler with the stock header and with an aftermarket exhaust? Was the enrichment you mentioned the bike adjusting to the new set-up via the closed loop thing or do you have means to test and adjust the bike’s settings? The dealer's mechanic said to let the bike idle with the new set-up for 10 minutes without touching the throttle. The Rawhyde instructor also said that the bike was smart enough to sense the new set-up and make adjustments. I'd think increasing the richness to avoid a lean condition from more air running through would be what it would be doing. Is that what you think gave better response and did you like it?

Obviously if the Remus exhaust did not have fit-up problems with my other aftermarket parts I'd be keeping it for the riding season to answer the questions myself. Being a sub-average rider I'm not smarter than BMW engineers when it comes to bigger, beefier bash plates and engine protection bars but, luckily, a former owner seems to have been. Since I like dirt I won't trade my crash protection for the new exhaust even if I did like the bike's response with the system. Like I said above, people with a lot more experience with this bike than I have think the change would be noticeable and a welcome improvement from stock.

This topic has been discussed quite a lot on here and can be a bit "touchy" shall I say. Below are two links that were passed onto me by a knowledgeable member here that helped when I went down this road. While the first one references an 1200RT, I still recommend reading through them as I'm sure it applies in some form or fashion to your GS in regards to the open & closed loop system. Grab a cup of coffee....as the rabbit hole goes quite deep :uhoh

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=872727

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=862739

Cheers,

Brian

O Paul you know as well as anyone the American governments smog campain is a bit over the top, the fuel ratios in todays production bikes are about 14.9to 1 creating higher cylinder head temps ect ect. these air/oil cooled motors are much happier down around 14/4, at any rate ill chime in more when i have time, and yes i jumped down that rabbit hole about a year ago following rogers postings before i got inta all this.

O Paul you know as well as anyone the American governments smog campain is a bit over the top, the fuel ratios in todays production bikes are about 14.9to 1 creating higher cylinder head temps ect ect. these air/oil cooled motors are much happier down around 14/4, at any rate ill chime in more when i have time, and yes i jumped down that rabbit hole about a year ago following rogers postings before i got inta all this.

A more open exhaust may permit less restricted air flow, and if so, it makes the mixture leaner, not richer. So tell me again how a more open aftermarket exhaust adds fuel to make a richer mixture?

Back