• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

AeroFlow for my 1985 K100RS

mcmlcccvrs

I am seriously considering the purchase of an AeroFlow windscreen for my bike-the standard screen which is 7.5" taller than stock. I currently have a Laminar Lip. While it helps it hasn't lived up to what I hoped it would do out on the highway which is where I spend all of my time. I am 5' 11" and have "C" bars on my bike. At least I think they are "C" bars as they have a 4" rise to them.

My question for you experts is this. Given my height and bar configuration, do you guys and gals think the standard AeroFlow would be fine? My guess is that I am probably sitting a couple of inches higher than I otherwise would be with stock RS bars.

The AeroFlow is not inexpensive, but I really want to seriously address the turbulence and associated noise. And yes, I do wear ear plugs religiously.

Looking forward to your thoughts and opinions.

Thanks,
Tom

Tom,

Get the exact dimensions of the airflow, cut some cardboard, thin plexi, sheetmetal or other semi flexible material, and securely tape it in place and try it out.:dunno

:dance:dance:dance

Any of you guys here have personal experience regarding a limiting speed with the AeroFlow or know of someone who found out?

I did have to remove the mirrors due to the 3" extension in width on each side. I will have to make or source some mirror extenders.

A HUGE SHOUT OUT to Gary Phillips (6322) for giving me the screen for just the shipping cost.

Test ride on Friday to see what I think.

cq84vz.jpg

Thanks,
Tom

An update. Now that I've put about 500 miles on my bike with the AeroFlow, I thought I would offer my impressions of MY setup for those that are interested.

First off, I am 5'11", have C-bars-which have a 4" rise-and a Corbin seat. My AeroFlow is the standard unit which is 7.5" vertically higher than the stock RS fairing..

It is much better than what I was able to accomplish with respect to eliminating/reducing wind turbulence and noise than my Laminar Lip. It keeps ALL the bugs off me. I can now ride with my clear visor flipped open and my sun visor down if I choose with no wind or bugs in my face. I cannot ride with my Schuberth C3 Pro flipped open. I am ever-so-slightly still sitting too tall for that. If I was 2" shorter or I had stock RS bars it would be perfect. The other option-which isn't going to happen-is the AeroFlow which is 10.5" taller than the stock RS fairing.

All in all I am very happy with it and it does make a huge difference on the open road.

Tom

Back