• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1985 K100RS fuel mileage check.

mcmlcccvrs

Not sure if anyone is interested but just for you-know-what and giggles I thought I'd do a fuel mileage check today on a 280 mile round trip from Calgary to Lethbridge, Alberta. No wind to speak of really. Most flat with some undulations but nothing of any significance. Just me at 174 lbs with side cases, top case and an Aeroflow screen. I held a steady 70-75mph with an occasional pass at 80mph. I filled it up to the exact same level as when I first gassed up. It took 12.195l or 2.68 Imp gallons for 132 miles, which is 49.25 mpg on 87 octane. Won't fill up again until I go out for another ride so I don't know what the return trip will yield. It was also different routing with headwinds at certain points. I don't know what modern 1000cc bikes are getting but I would think that this is pretty respectable for a 37 year-old bike at those speeds. Or am I wrong?

On a side note, I got my hands (literally) on a set of Pro Grip 699 street gel grips in an attempt to reduce vibration at the bars. It wasn't as much as I'd hoped for but a tiny reduction nevertheless.

Last edited:
Your mileage beats my ‘87 K100RT which averages around 45 miles per imperial gallon, sometimes a bit better. In order to avoid ethanol eating the rubber parts in the gas tank, I run ethanol free Shell V Power.

Over it's life, my '85 RS has averaged mid 40's in gas mileage on US Gallons, which approximates your mileage on Imperial gallons.
Also, the K1100 16v engine is much smoother than the original K100 8v, but both have an annoying buzz (less on the 16v) at lower highway speeds.

Frank

By my math, your 2.68 Imperial Gallons converts to 3.218546 US Gallons, which equals 41.02 miles per US gallon. I had a 1987 K100RT which would get between 40 and 44 MPG (US). My K1 will get typically 50+ at 75 to 85, but it has the 4-valve 1 liter engine with the Motronic FI and amazing aerodynamic body work.

Back