• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'96 1100 GS skips in third gear

lee2ray

Just replaced my clutch and trans input shaft for worn splines last winter. Now my bike has a third gear skip. Didn't notice it before.

I've read some of the information on the Internet about this issue. It seems that M93 and M94 transmissions had this problem. Did the M97 have this issue?

Text photo is of the right side of my transmission. Can anyone tell which version transmissionsIMG_3101.jpg?

Last edited:
The transmissions where modified in 97 to correct some previous issues. Somebody more knowledgeable than me will be able to identify your trans number.

It is odd that you are having that issue after your work and you didn't have it before. Sounds like something is not set up right in the tranny.

The transmissions where modified in 97 to correct some previous issues. Somebody more knowledgeable than me will be able to identify your trans number.

It is odd that you are having that issue after your work and you didn't have it before. Sounds like something is not set up right in the tranny.

I don't know for sure that I didn't have it before. Just didn't notice it.

Investment?

Looks like I need a good "used" M97 or sell the bike. Selling the bike may seem like a rash move but I've replaced the hall sensor, clutch, trans input shaft in the last year. The windscreen needs to be extended and the seat replaced. Just wondering how much to invest in the bike.:scratch
Sorry to hear about your transmission, but I have to mention, these are not investments, they're hobbies. Money out, no money in. Even if you do your own work like me, it's never a money maker. But it is interesting and hopefully fun. People spend lots more on drugs, booze, cigars, golf and model railroads to mention a few. My advise, change your oil often, and ride it. You'll never turn a 21 year old bike into a new one in any case. Selling a bike with a half worn out transmission won't be easy or bring much money. Ride it.

Sorry to hear about your transmission, but I have to mention, these are not investments, they're hobbies. Money out, no money in. Even if you do your own work like me, it's never a money maker. But it is interesting and hopefully fun. People spend lots more on drugs, booze, cigars, golf and model railroads to mention a few. My advise, change your oil often, and ride it. You'll never turn a 21 year old bike into a new one in any case. Selling a bike with a half worn out transmission won't be easy or bring much money. Ride it.

Thanks! I think that's a good perspective.

Look on IBMW

Take at look at the Oilhead section of IBMW, you might have some luck. Don't wait to long as that luck there might be short lived.

Back