• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

73 BMW Factory Fairing

kjmcd13

Have a chance to score one. It was on a 73 R60/5. I will put it on a 73 R75/5. Wondering if anybody knows if this is doable with no mods? Or if they were any good?

All 1973s are the same bike except for the pistons and cylinders and final drive gears.

Factory fairing from 1973 seems a bit unlikely.

Fairing

That's an Avon fairing. Look in any early parts book and you'll see it. Quite a pain to install and as I remember, you have to take it all off to get into the headlight shell!

Avon/Avonaire, Manufactured in England. Several different styles, police and civilian models. they are listed in the BMW Katalog as BMW covering. Most of the guys who have/had them liked them; a lot of weather protection protection, frame mounted, very narrow which made it very areodynamic and helped fuel economy. I had one that I was going to mount on a R90/6, but went with the BMW windshield set instead. Pretty well made and designed.

Avon/Avonaire, Manufactured in England. Several different styles, police and civilian models. they are listed in the BMW Katalog as BMW covering. Most of the guys who have/had them liked them; a lot of weather protection protection, frame mounted, very narrow which made it very areodynamic and helped fuel economy. I had one that I was going to mount on a R90/6, but went with the BMW windshield set instead. Pretty well made and designed.

Very good description........Had one on my 72 R75/5 and yes they were an accessory that one could easily get. They are well made, HEAVY fiberglass and a real bear to install properly. It should fit your bike just fine if it's a /5. You definitely want to get some heavy duty springs for your forks and fluids.........Good luck

It's wild, by todays standards, how heavy the fairings were then. When removed, the bike just smiles at you as it sits up...even if it's shortlived. Necessary evils for some. But I also recall my Bell helmet of same vintage was a boulder:laugh
I moved a couple of W/jammer versions the other day and shook my head at the mass.

Yes, I've moved a a few Windjammers, Luftmeisters, the one Avon and several Wixsom fairings on to new homes. I think their all good pieces of equipment for the right people. I've moved on to BMW wind shields to fit my needs. Or I leave my bikes bare sans wind protection. The thing I don't like about not having wind protection is that it wears out my neck on longer rides, which wears me out. That and getting hit by road debris. Ouch!

The BMW windshield sets for /5, /6, and /7's are a good compromise. Generally large enough to give decent protection, easy access to the internals of the headlight bucket, and they look good/proper/correct on the bike. Perfect for me. :thumb

The BMW windshield sets for /5, /6, and /7's are a good compromise. Generally large enough to give decent protection, easy access to the internals of the headlight bucket, and they look good/proper/correct on the bike. Perfect for me. :thumb

Refresh these old brain cells please..........I seem to remember a flat plexi that more or less clamped onto the handlebars........

Geez, I had one of these for sale for ages. Someone in the Philippines eventually wound up buying it. Yes it's made by Avon, yes it's also a factory option. The crash bars, turn signals, and frame all are BMW parts unique to the fairing and are required to mount it. You don't have to remove the headlight shell to mount it, just unplug the headlight and it mounts to the fairing. Here's some pics when I was selling mine, including it mounted on the bike:

http://symphonyofshrapnel.blogspot.com/2014/02/bmw-made-full-fairing-police-for-sale.html

You will not find a better fairing for these bikes. Super solid, fits excellently, frame and mounting pieces are top notch. Downside is it's huge and heavy. I'm not a fairing guy and mine came with the bike and I removed it almost immediately.

Refresh these old brain cells please..........I seem to remember a flat plexi that more or less clamped onto the handlebars........
I don't have a BMW wind shield set sitting on an airhead at the moment. this set fits standard BMW airheads from '74 /6- thru the end of the airheads. Those with twin shocks and monolever.
The complete kit comes with the wind shield, the frame bow, the handlebar mounting clamp, and mounting hardware.
Picture 881.jpg
Picture 882.jpg
Picture 883.jpg
These top clamps replace the stock clamps that are standard to the bike. Stud coming thru clamp is where the bow mounts. these pics are not the best. comes off a '83 R100 Police bike sitting in the back of the shop.

Picture 877.jpg
The bow mounts to the new top clamps at those 2 holes shown. Two crown nuts hold it down. The square hole is for clearance of the 4-way flashers control switch.
Picture 879.jpg
The windshield has a good tilted angle back top to bottom and good curve side to side. It just works. The windshield can be cut down if a rider needs it smaller or lower. It works equally well with USA or Euro bars. Even with just two mounting points the windshield does not flex much with high speeds or wind. The windshield only touches at the flat mounting location and does not interfere with any other parts of the bike. You remove the 2 crown nuts and the windshield is removed. Easy on and easy off. :thumb:thumb

One more thing; the bottom of the windshield sets about an inch above and around the head lite bucket. Also, easy access to the head light bulb and all the electrics in bucket; the same as the standard bike. No more looking into the bucket with your removed rear view mirror. :thumb

'74 R90/6 and BMW Windshield

Picture 2780.jpg
Picture 2779.jpg
Not a very good pic, but all I got. Perfect windshield for me; I'm 6'2" and can see over it. In bad weather I can hunch down behind it. Hard for me to believe, but these pics were taken 25 years ago. Rode this bike, I think 8 times to Daytona Bike Week, once to Key West and another time to Flamingo Point. I'm smilin, thinking about all those great rides to Florida. Great Bike and Windshield

Hey Barry.....thanks......Once I got the ol brain in remember mode, it flashed on me that I had one on my 75 R75 while I waited for my Avon to come in to the dealer. I so loved the Avon on my 72 that when I got the newer bike in 75 I had to have on also; but of the newer model.........Wonder what I did with that shield when I got the Avon.....lol....bet the dealer kept it and I was to happy to get out the door and on a test ride with the new Avon.......

When I got the '74 R90, it came with a Windjammer. For me it was OK, but not great. Kept visually seeing the bike without the fairing. Did an econo resto back on '90-'91. Ditched the Windslammer. Rode it as standard bike, loved the look. But I was riding constantly, anywhere, anytime, all the time, commuting, touring, rides, rallies, runs. If I going somewhere, my butt was in the saddle. But being in the wind wore out my neck. My head was about to topple off my shoulders. There was a local motorcycle windshield manufacturer Cyclear/Memphis Shades. I was good buddies with the owner, got several different styles of windshields, cheap. They all kinda worked and kinda not. None looked good on the bike, they were designed for UJM bikes. Finally broke down and bought the BMW shield. That was the answer.

Dennis, The Avon fairings are cool. If I were going to put a full size fairing on an early Airhead, the Avon would be my choice.

Another thing is that Airhead engines as are most most of the other parts are manufactured and styled to be scene. When a full fairing is installed you lose that great beautiful visual impact of the bike. Something else to think about.

Back