• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2003 K1200RS - want to remove/replace BMW emblem on fairing

k547

the 2.5" diameter round BMW emblem on the left side fairing of my K1200RS is messed up but the fairing itself is perfect.
I see the emblems are available as a factory OEM part.
I have the fairing off the bike now to perform some maintenance so I have access to both sides.
Does anybody know how to remove/replace these emblems in a non destructive manner? Well, at least non destructive to the fairing and painted surface......

Not sure about your bike, but on my /7 the approach to removing the tank emblems was to use some dental floss and saw through the glue a little at a time.

You can probably see the two locating pins that go threw the plastic.
The emblem is probably held in place by two sided tape.
Like Kurt said try some floss or fishing line.

I just looked at the parts fiche and the picture showing the back of the emblem does not show two sided tape.
Must be glue.

thanks! I have some super thin/strong fishing leader I'll try that after warming it with a heat gun

Last edited:
thanks! I have some super thin/strong fishing leader I'll try that with after warming it with a heat gun

After warming it, push on those two pins on the back side to see if the glue will start to let loose.

You can probably see the two locating pins that go threw the plastic.
The emblem is probably held in place by two sided tape.
Like Kurt said try some floss or fishing line.

I just looked at the parts fiche and the picture showing the back of the emblem does not show two sided tape.
Must be glue.

It's two sided tape that comes already installed on the emblem, if my experience with other BMW emblems is any indication. Notable exception: /2 roundels, which have two holes for screws.

It's two sided tape that comes already installed on the emblem, if my experience with other BMW emblems is any indication. Notable exception: /2 roundels, which have two holes for screws.

Thanks Dave

I tried two different types of some expensive specialty fishing leader for "toothed fish" and both quickly broke but oddly enough they both cut thru the wooden handles I used.....
Some thin gauge safety wire worked perfectly.

IMG_3949.jpg

IMG_3950.jpg

IMG_3952.jpg

IMG_3953.jpg

Back