• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

/5 restore

Wow!

I'm seldom a man of few words, but all I gotta say (again) is WOW!

Not many of us could do work at this level, (not me, anyway) and it's a real pleasure to watch your ART unfold. You've already got a "better than new" machine there, my friend.

Keep it coming!

Walking Eagle

Last edited:
Check those holes in the fork tubes. Think they should be facing each other. Don't know why, it's just in the memory bank. Forgot to mention I'm stunned by the level of genius resto work on yer bike. The detail is brilliant. Jaw dropping purely excellent work.

Last edited:
yep your right, good catch. They should be pointing towards each other. I need to make a slight adjustment for the 160mm tube height and will rotate them at that time.

WOW! even wow squared

First of all, how did you get that bike so clean?

Please consider submitting a detailed article to the ON or to AirMail (ABC).

Best, and TIA

Check those holes in the fork tubes. Think they should be facing each other. Don't know why, it's just in the memory bank.

The reason is because of the stresses in the tubes. The tubes tend to bend forward and backward as the tires respond to road imperfections, making the highest stress in the outer fiber or on the front and back sides. Bending stresses are actually zero at the neutral axis, and for a cylindrical item like the tube, the neutral axis is in the middle. And since the hole is what is called a stress riser or concentration, putting the hole facing the other tube (or facing 180 degrees away) drastically reduces the stress in the area of the stress riser. None of this applies to torsional stresses but since the tubes see very little torsional stress to speak of, it doesn't really matter.

Test tomorrow!!

First of all, how did you get that bike so clean?

Please consider submitting a detailed article to the ON or to AirMail (ABC).

Best, and TIA

Haha no secret here. All it takes is to disassemble the bike into a million pieces and restore or replace everything down to the last washer. As far as writing an article , I am not much good at writing. The first post of this thread is about as good as it gets for me. Thanks though, I work on it week in and week out. It stays hidden in my garage and I am the only one here to appreciate it. So having others see it and appreciate it also is very satisfying to me.

Scot

Fork alignment went well. They were new tubes so I guess that is to be expected. Refinished the sliders with Rub-N-Buff, installed the new 13 rib gaiters, installed the Toaster Tan top brace, installed a ground wire for the blinkers and started putting it all back together. Just glad to get the headlight housing and bars mounted again. They were just kind of hanging there.
DSC_0139d.JPG

DSC_0142d.JPG

Back