• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

/5 restore

Scot

You all have probably seen many of these restore threads. For better or worse here's the story of this /5. Just as a disclaimer some of this is a repost. Kind of a long story. I don't know if anybody cares to read it or not.
I have a 1973 R75/5 LWB. I inherited the bike from my brother, it hasn't seen the road since 1985. My brother bought the bike when he was in college and rode it a couple years until 85' when he decided to restore it.
The motor,transmission, differential, and rear hub were all sent to San Jose BMW for a complete overhaul. From top to bottom it looks like just about every internal piece was replaced (I have all the invoices from them and it goes on for pages). Also the heads were converted to dual plugs, flywheel lightened,Rockers changed to needle bearings, and everything was balanced.

At this time he also had them brace the swing arm. Lots of other parts were purchesed from them at this time, emblems, gaskets, lenses, Dyna III ignition system, wiring harnesses, ignition and electrical parts etc.. He had the frame powder coated, the tank and fenders beautifully painted and pin stripped, and the seat redone. He bought new fork tubes, springs and seals. He had the spoke rims restored. A Keihan exhaust system was purchased. He really spared no expense in the work and components he purchased. Everything else was torn down to it's smallest component.

Now the sad part is that my brother was getting sick and this was as far as he got. The bike than sat in his garage in this state for 16 years. He passed in 2001 and that was when I inherited the pile of parts. I wasn't sure if I had a whole bike at this point. The bike parts had been scattered from one end to the other of his garage/shop over the years. In the end this is what I ended up with.

Parts800.JPG

Now I had all these parts boxed up and carefully wrapped up. Everything was stored away until about 2005 when I decided I wanted to finish the project that my brother began. He really liked this bike and so it meant something to me to work on it. He had all the BMW parts and repair manuals. So I carefully looked at each piece,bracket, bolt etc.. and matched it with the parts book. Than I compared what was in the parts book to what I had and determined what I was missing. So there, I was ready to start a journey.

Frame1.jpg

Well I bought a bunch of fastners, shocks and and various other parts from Huckeys over the next year or so but I am sorry to say that life got in the way and I didn't finish what I started. So from sometime in 2006 till now the bike sat half built like this. It's not even as complete as it looks in this picture. At that time I was just trying to put the bike together.

BMW1.jpg

Well forward to January 2012 and due to some life changes, I decided to clean out my garage, clear some space and have a new invigorated attitude. This time around I am trying to restore the bike rather than just put it back together. I back tracked quite a bit and went through everything again. This time every part down to the last washer has been gone through (so far). The main thing I have left that is not apparent here is I need to take the front forks apart again. I don't know what happened the first time but they aren't right. Lots of little things to do though also. Not in a hurry, just enjoying myself.

2-11-12.jpg

2-19-12-800.jpg

exhaust800.jpg

Since I restarted this project I have taken detailed pictures of each step. I have tons of detailed pictures :)

reflector.jpg

left800.jpg

Thats pretty much where I am to date. I will post more as my project progresses.

Last edited:
Welcome to BMWMOA. Very touching story and you are doing a great job of putting/restoring this beautiful bike back to life. Keep posting your progress and I'll look forward to the day you start her up! Looks like you have a stable of bikes!

Both my bikes are up on the rack for winter maintenance plus clutch job, swing arm bearings and new mufflers.

Mike Horne
76 R90/6
93 R100R Legend

Mine (exact same bike)came to me with a far less touching story via Ebay but in boxes like OP's. Actually I have two of these,one in storage dead. No one rebuilt the engine or did any paintwork on mine but I did get lots!!! of NOS parts and rebuild parts. Mine was a 51k commuter bike, sold in late 80's by original owner(he's 84 yrs old now) and bought by a coworker that dismantled it in 1994 for restoration, then sold to me in 2010 for completion. If you want to see pics of a /5 either all over benches & shop floor in boxes(mixed in with a Bultaco in progress too) I just don't think my pics will have the glamour of the OP's but the resulting bike will be quite the same. This thread was nice eye candy for me to say the least! :heart
I see these rebuild threads here & there & find that while the actual work is great therapy for me(truly my kind of fun to work on something not being waited on by a customer) & results in a neat bike to ride-BUT- I have to say there are lots of dirty, grungy shop days for me that just don't show in most of these threads. What I'm saying is none of my shine seems to ever come in a box. E.g., yesterday was spent on a couple of fenders wearing a dust mask,etc., more not so glamorous work...

Those two bikes are amazing! Or is this the same bike, on two threads?
09.gif

haha yeah, the first thread was just me being a new guy saying hi with a picture of my bike. This thread was to start a restore thread for ongoing pictures, questions etc :)

These new Albert headlight mirrors were waiting for me on my porch when I got home today :)

Albert_Mirrors-800.jpg

Spent way to much time on this but here it is. I masked off the engine badges and repainted the black part. I also refinished the aluminum with the Rub N buff like the engine.

badge-800.jpg

Installed a new center stand today. I thought I had found an article about the centerstand bushings. I want to make sure they are installed correctly.

DSC_0140s.JPG

Beautiful!

This would be a very cool thread in any event, but the connection to your late brother makes this VERY special to a lot of us. You've obviously got some fast machines in your Mancave, but don't be surprised if the /5 steals your heart.

To put a nice "luster" on the "as new" cases, you might try a product called Collinite's Metal Wax -- it won't change the look a whole bunch, but you'll get a "depth" that isn't currently there. This product is originally designed for Marine or Aeronautical use, and it works great. Try some on an inconspicuous section, and see if you like it. Use like polish, (apply that "special [elbow] grease" and you'll see what this product is about) and a little goes a long way on an Airhead! (Be glad you aren't doing this on a 50' boat.)

Not sure where you are located, but unless it's a big city, you'll probably have to order via Internet.

LOVE those mirrors you found - clearly, you're a man of taste, and are the perfect person to carry-on your brother's dream. Get it together, break it in using instruction from Snowbum or Cutter or Porter (not necessarily BMW recommendations) and ride the hell out of it -- it would appear that you've got a NEW /5, and how rare is that?

Keep us in the loop, Scot, and don't worry about boring any of the crazy people on this thread - yeah, we "get it" or we wouldn't be here. . .

Walking Eagle

Scot,

First, sorry about your brother...

Second, it sure looks like you're doing it right, it's beautiful. Keep up the good work, and keep the photos coming!

I think that it is great that you are finish our brother's project, and doing a great job too. It is a beautiful machine.

Scot,

First, sorry about your brother...

SNIP!

...but you can thank him for saving you a ton of work! Thats a gorgeous little bike and you're going to love it for a lot or reasons!

Thanks everyone for your awesome comments. It has been especially rewarding spending time on restoring this bike. I will keep the updates coming. :)

Installed the clam shell cover and enricher lever. Finally, all the engine covers are back on the bike.

DSC_0144w.JPG

I made a small modification to the rear fender and installed a roundel.
DSC_0151w.JPG

I also got the front brake switch working properly with a little contact cleaner and put a new rubber boot on it.

Replaced the enricher on the right carb and got them both installed. Also cleaned up some of the wiring with some wire ties.

DSC_0114s.JPG

DSC_0119s.JPG

I wasn't happy with the forks so I am redoing them. Took them all apart and am tackling the fork alignments. It passed the glass plate alignment. Next will be the parallelism alignment. Still working on making that tool. Also bought one of the Toaster Tan fork brace and 13 rib gaiters.
DSC_0129d.JPG

DSC_0127d.JPG

Everything left to be installed.

DSC_0134d.JPG

Back