• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

45 days out for service…

I have heard that if you want to make a million $ as a BMW dealer, you start with two and quit when you have one left over..... Win win right? :dunno

Earlier this month I needed to take my Triumph Bonneville SE in for routine service. I called the nearest dealership (100 miles away) and asked if I could drop it off the next day(a Wednesday) as I was going out of town for a few days and it would be convenient for me to drop it off as I would be going by the dealership (I don't own a trailer), and would be coming back by the following Tuesday. The service manager asked (1) Where was I located?, and (2) Where did I buy my bike? (I purchased it from a different dealership as this dealership wasn't selling Triumph when I bought my Bonneville). The service manager explained that routine maintenance was booked out 21 days or more. I asked if I could still drop it off per my schedule and was told "Sure, but don't it expect it back before 3 weeks or more." I did, and while I was waiting for my wife to drive by to pick me up so we could continue our short vacation, the service manager came by and said, "Can you call your wife? We'll have your bike finished by the end of the day." Wow! What happened to the 21 day service wait? I explained that I still couldn't pick it up until I returned through town the next week. No problem was the answer. It was ready to go when I was ready to pick it up.

What's this got to do with a BMW forum? I've had similar experiences with my local BMW dealer -- I've been told similar wait times for service on my '15 RT. I've still dropped it off on my schedule, and I've always had the service finished well before the "way out there" promised time. Giving a pessimistic service time, then beat it if they can. You're happier (maybe), and they can boast about how they were able to get to your bike sooner than expected. With the bike on hand, they're able to schedule it onto the service lift as it's "right there, right now".

Of course, as always, YMMV.

Earlier this month I needed to take my Triumph Bonneville SE in for routine service. I called the nearest dealership (100 miles away) and asked if I could drop it off the next day(a Wednesday) as I was going out of town for a few days and it would be convenient for me to drop it off as I would be going by the dealership (I don't own a trailer), and would be coming back by the following Tuesday. The service manager asked (1) Where was I located?, and (2) Where did I buy my bike? (I purchased it from a different dealership as this dealership wasn't selling Triumph when I bought my Bonneville). The service manager explained that routine maintenance was booked out 21 days or more. I asked if I could still drop it off per my schedule and was told "Sure, but don't it expect it back before 3 weeks or more." I did, and while I was waiting for my wife to drive by to pick me up so we could continue our short vacation, the service manager came by and said, "Can you call your wife? We'll have your bike finished by the end of the day." Wow! What happened to the 21 day service wait? I explained that I still couldn't pick it up until I returned through town the next week. No problem was the answer. It was ready to go when I was ready to pick it up.

What's this got to do with a BMW forum? I've had similar experiences with my local BMW dealer -- I've been told similar wait times for service on my '15 RT. I've still dropped it off on my schedule, and I've always had the service finished well before the "way out there" promised time. Giving a pessimistic service time, then beat it if they can. You're happier (maybe), and they can boast about how they were able to get to your bike sooner than expected. With the bike on hand, they're able to schedule it onto the service lift as it's "right there, right now".

Of course, as always, YMMV.

<iframe width="772" height="329" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/t9SVhg6ZENw" title="Scotty tells us how he keeps his reputation as a miracle worker" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Best,
DeVern

Scotty was absolutely right! Always pad the estimate, standard CYA procedure.

Another case (a slight tangent):
Many years ago, I was asked by one of my managers - he had a purely mechanical background (and not a great one at that), knew Diddley about anything electrical or electronic - "How long will it take to fix this?"
I told him, "Well, we don't really know where exactly the problem is, so I can't give you an answer to that."
He kept bugging me - How long? How long will it take?
Really pissed him off... he needed to update the holy schedule...
And, by the way, the staff engineer [with several awards and patents] who designed it was literally two doors down the hall; why didn't the manager go see him instead...? Oh well.
A couple of weeks later, he actually brought in the wife's vacuum cleaner (to our high-tech aerospace communications lab) and asked me to fix it! He had installed a new power switch, and couldn't figger out that he had mis-wired it... grrr...

Back