• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

45 days out for service…

motodan

We have one BMW dealer in my state and several in each of the surrounding states. The closest is 120 miles away (I know, I should consider myself lucky). The next closest is 160 miles. I just received an ad from the closest dealer, among other things telling me how great their service is and that they are standing by to help me with any need. I’m sure they think they mean it however, last time I called them for a service, they were 45 days out! Me thinks I need to unsubscribe as these ads, which act as reminders, piss me off. :banghead:banghead:banghead

It's a wide spread situation not just BMW motorcycle dealers. All the trades- plumbers, carpenters, electricians are fully booked except those that participate in "sudden service" in which a premium is usually charged. Locally the GMC/Buick dealer is reportedly 45 days out for an oil change.
It sort of makes sense as the average age of a plumber or electrician (around her) is 57 years. It doesn't seem that manual labor or working with your hands is in vogue.
Some of the people that are actually working with their hands seem to be cashing in as it is not so much what is the price but "how fast can you do my job".
OM

OM is right, my brother had to make an appointment 30 days out for his Porsche that needs some specialty work (read tools) or else he'd do it himself...
Now is the time to learn how to do everything yourself ,when possible, and safe a pretty penny too.... YMMV

OM is right, my brother had to make an appointment 30 days out for his Porsche that needs some specialty work (read tools) or else he'd do it himself...
Now is the time to learn how to do everything yourself ,when possible, and safe a pretty penny too.... YMMV

Yes,... especially when your favorite motorcycle dealer isn't allowed to sell you the most important tool - an actual Service Manual, or their specialty tools. Sure glad I have the RepRoms on both my remaining BMWs. I won't be buying another if this persists, and I'm betting it will.

We aren’t experiencing those problems down here - yet. I can usually get bike and cars and plumbing done in a week and electric within two currently.

This thread seems an endorsement for vehicles that are engineered to not need much maintenance in the first place, and are likewise designed to be reasonably simple to work on when they do.

Sounds like you folks are experiencing localized labor shortages. In my area, every mechanic shop and motorcycle dealer seems to have less than a week of wait time.

OP here. My post is more about how some dealerships project themselves and less about general service time lags in certain regions. It’s when the essences of their message is a lie that pisses me off. 45 days for a first service (600 miles) seems a “tad” long for such a boastful ad.

Last edited:
OP here. My post is more about how some dealerships project themselves and less about general service time lags I certain regions. It’s when the essences of their message is a lie that pisses me off. 45 days for a first service (600 miles) seems a “tad” long for such a boastful ad.

How is the Triumph dealer doing for service dates?

OM

How is the Triumph dealer doing for service dates?

OM

Their constant remark is bring it in when you are ready...just call us a day ahead. And I am always talking to the Owner, he seems to always be there and available. And I have four Triumph dealers within 120 miles, mine is 6 miles away.

Their constant remark is bring it in when you are ready...just call us a day ahead. And I am always talking to the Owner, he seems to always be there and available. And I have four Triumph dealers within 120 miles, mine is 6 miles away.

Great! That is certainly a convince.
I have found in most work, having the owner on site makes the whole operation run better.
OM

Bmw

BMW's policy of restricting dealerships certainly cannot help the owners of BMW products in getting timely work done on vehicles. St.

Why do you ask

Why do you ask for a link from me? I am not a BMW dealer ship.

I tell you what I know based on information given to me by in the first case my original dealership. A mom and pop shop that was given the choice of upgrade or close. Are you insinuating he is telling a bunch of lies and stories? Why would a successful business owner who loved motorcycles close?

In the second incident, one of the managers of the last BMW shop gave me the information as to why they closed. This was due to a square footage dispute in a newly built building.

Disputes like this have been confirmed by my car dealer saying that after they built a multi million dollar facility BMW forced them to tear out the shop floor and replace it with the correct color.

In talking to people at one of the motorcycle dealerships within a day's ride, I have also been told that this dealer is interested in expanding to my city but are not sure they want to spend the money to satisfy BMW.

NO, I don't have chapter and verse from the BMW bible. I most likely will never have it. But observation and dialog are two methods that work to gather information and make conclusions.

If you are so close to BMW, how about you find the information? I will gladly eat crow if such information does not exist. My observation, along with the stories of members of this club, as well as fellow car owners, and members of other BMW motorcycle clubs pretty much support what I am saying. I will stick to it until proven wrong. St.

Why do you ask for a link from me? I am not a BMW dealer ship.

I tell you what I know based on information given to me by in the first case my original dealership. A mom and pop shop that was given the choice of upgrade or close. Are you insinuating he is telling a bunch of lies and stories? Why would a successful business owner who loved motorcycles close?

In the second incident, one of the managers of the last BMW shop gave me the information as to why they closed. This was due to a square footage dispute in a newly built building.

Disputes like this have been confirmed by my car dealer saying that after they built a multi million dollar facility BMW forced them to tear out the shop floor and replace it with the correct color.

In talking to people at one of the motorcycle dealerships within a day's ride, I have also been told that this dealer is interested in expanding to my city but are not sure they want to spend the money to satisfy BMW.

NO, I don't have chapter and verse from the BMW bible. I most likely will never have it. But observation and dialog are two methods that work to gather information and make conclusions.

If you are so close to BMW, how about you find the information? I will gladly eat crow if such information does not exist. My observation, along with the stories of members of this club, as well as fellow car owners, and members of other BMW motorcycle clubs pretty much support what I am saying. I will stick to it until proven wrong. St.

I just figured that the amount of BMW dealerships was in direct proportion to the amount of sales, and possible sales, in a particular area needed to support a dealership.
Vehicle manufacturers have been “forcing” dealerships to conform to what the manufacturers “think” the dealerships should look like for a long time. Right or wrong in regards to the dealerships owners, it’s part of the corporate mentality.
This corporate “mentality” permeates many businesses nowadays. From 1-800- GotJunk to fast food restaurants, they are supposed to look the same as they try to be easy to identify.
I doubt it is a plot. It’s corporate brand identification.
OM

I just figured that the amount of BMW dealerships was in direct proportion to the amount of sales, and possible sales, in a particular area needed to support a dealership.
Vehicle manufacturers have been “forcing” dealerships to conform to what the manufacturers “think” the dealerships should look like for a long time. Right or wrong in regards to the dealerships owners, it’s part of the corporate mentality.
This corporate “mentality” permeates many businesses nowadays. From 1-800- GotJunk to fast food restaurants, they are supposed to look the same as they try to be easy to identify.
OM

That makes me wonder if there would be any measurable difference in sales if they changed their "mentality" to loosen the strings and allow some small businesses enter the fold.

That makes me wonder if there would be any measurable difference in sales if they changed their "mentality" to loosen the strings and allow some small businesses enter the fold.

Cost of entry is most likely huge nowadays. Helping the little dealerships continue or “age-out” would no doubt be helpful to the customers.
I prefer a small shop preferably with the owner on site and a stable staff. It seems harder to find.
OM

Plot

OM

I have never said it was a "plot" on BMW's part to do the things they do. I have always said, I don't like what they are doing, I have given examples of trusted people I know who are either in BMW' hire, dealt with BMW, or work for BMW dealerships. There was no plot, BMW closed dealers, or force dealers or future dealers to toe the line. BMW is wrong! My opinion.

Cost of entry is most likely huge nowadays. Helping the little dealerships continue or “age-out” would no doubt be helpful to the customers.
I prefer a small shop preferably with the owner on site and a stable staff. It seems harder to find.
OM

Yeah! corporate identity has shuttered many a small business. Hey it is all good as long as the big company provides a good product at a reasonable price backed by a commitment to customer satisfaction. So now in theory there is a BMW "identity" dealership and they muck things up on a $40k bike or as one of the posts noted charger a huge fee to do work. What is the customer's recourse? Go to another state? I am sorry I liked it a whole lot better when I had five BMW dealerships within 150 miles of me to choose from. St.

Back