• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

4 Litre BMW oil change 2018 RT

EGRAHAM

Club President
Finished adding the oil AND then looked at the window to see it was full. Question is: do about 8-10mls need to be removed? Oil is changed every 6k miles.

My experience on my '18 RT mirrors yours. I was never comfortable with the oil level being above the top of the sight glass

I find that 3.5L fills to about 3/4 up the sight glass.

Good luck!

Shouldn't it be at the top of the ring in the sight glass? 4L is 4L, if that's what it calls for, you're fine

Last edited:
On my RT I always just dumped 4 quarts in and called it good.

A very knowledgeable bmw mechanic told me the motor will be fine even 1/2 quart low and a little more than called for. 4.2 quarts is 4L and isn't going to harm anything on that motor.

Worrying about nothing. If you add 4L, that's what's in the motor and what's called for.

A very knowledgeable bmw mechanic told me the motor will be fine even 1/2 quart low and a little more than called for. 4.2 quarts is 4L and isn't going to harm anything on that motor.

Worrying about nothing. If you add 4L, that's what's in the motor and what's called for.

I get it, but some people do not!

I have a buddy that carries oil. About every other gas stop he checks his oil. If it is down one tick on the dipstick he absolutely has to add oil. I keep telling him that the motorcycle probably wouldn't notice being even more than a quart low, but he still adds oil when it needs a couple drops. His bike probably uses a 1/2 quart in 3,000 miles. He can not believe that I don't carry oil!

I told him his motorcycle needs oil because he checks it so often and he is dragging oil out of the engine and wiping it off on a rag!

Last edited:
I get it, but some people do not!

I have a buddy that carries oil. About every other gas stop he checks his oil. If it is down one tick on the dipstick he absolutely has to add oil. I keep telling him that the motorcycle probably wouldn't notice being even more than a quart low, but he still adds oil when it needs a couple drops. His bike probably uses a 1/2 quart in 3,000 miles. He can not believe that I don't carry oil!

I told him his motorcycle needs oil because he checks it so often and he is dragging oil out of the engine and wiping it off on a rag!

Extreme OCD, apparently. :D

Finished adding the oil AND then looked at the window to see it was full. Question is: do about 8-10mls need to be removed? Oil is changed every 6k miles.

That's because the owners manual calls for four quarts not four liters which will over fill the oil sump.

I remember when I had an oilhead, if the level was overfilled the extra would be blown off via the air box. Sure that could get a little messy... Doesn't the same happen to a wethead?

I put in 3.5 quarts and then top off to about 3/4 of the sight glass. This usually uses 3.7-3.8 quarts.

First, the procedure to check oil is to run to temp, put on center stand, and WAITE 5 mins. to read the site glass.

I run mine at 3/4 of the window. I also use the holes behind the site glass for accurate readings, rather then leaving it to me to gauge the oil in the sump. I then look for those holes when checking oil use. I have no oil usage on my 17.5 GS between 6K services.

The only thing over the years I have read is filling it too full can affect shifting? I am not sure to the truth in that as I never fill past the window on the sight glass, and never have. I am not sure if that was said because a too full oil sump could cause whipping of the oil, which is a bad thing for sure. Just do not know if it is fact or not? I would think there are wind-age fins in the pan to prevent foaming?

If you concerned you can loosen the oil filter making a mess, but a bit more controllable then the drain plug IMHO.

Up to you but for peace of mind I would check it according to the procedure and proceed from there. I would also recommend your friend follows the procedure to check oil. Most motors find a level at which they run for oil level and coolant levels. Adding either will just make the motor spit it out until it finds it happy level again. The 5 min wait is a pain, but it is the way the motor is designed.

The new 1300 is gonna be a bit different as the transmission is now below the motor so not sure how that will affect checking oil.

I long for the days of dipsticks on motorcycles.

That's because the owners manual calls for four quarts not four liters which will over fill the oil sump.

I've never seen a German manual for beemers use qts and not liters. 4L is called for in the 4 beemers I've owned [ still two of them in the garage ]

First, the procedure to check oil is to run to temp, put on center stand, and WAITE 5 mins. to read the site glass.

You're right; that's the published procedure. My experience is that the level doesn't change between hot and cold. I check it when it's warm, leave the bike on the centerstand overnight, and find it's at exactly the same level the next morning when it's stone cold. You're experience may vary.

My manual says max oil capacity is 4L (1.1gal)

This would be far from the first time that BMW has mixed up specifications when attempting to convert from metric to US measurements. I recall several such snafus with conversion of Newton Meters to Foot Pounds of torque. And a few with measurements of fork oil from CCs to ounces.

As usual, when it doesn't seem right it probably isn't.

Back