• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'23 RT Left Handlebar Switch Gemlins ???

Motor32

Motor32
I was going out for a ride yesterday on my two week old RT and I couldn't get the app to connect. Then I noticed the wonder-wheel wasn't working, along with all the switches on the left handlebar, high-beams, turn indicators, windscreen up/down. I turned the bike off, hoping to reboot it, but no luck. The ride before, was all normal.

I called roadside assistance and now the bike is at the dealer. Has anybody had this issue also???

Thanks,

Steve

First I’m hearing of it. Thanks for letting us know; also… if they identify the problem and solution can you post that here please.

At first I thought you meant that just the wonder wheel was not working, app issue, etc.. but I see it's the entire thing? Sounds like just a bad connection or bad circuit board. I see 3 thick wires (or thick conduit anyway) coming off of mine. No idea if the wires contained within the 3 items ultimately join up into a single plug or what, but this definitely sounds pretty flukey and rare to me. Hell it could have been a bad routing job causing wires to be pulled loose underneath there just by cycling the handlebars hard L/R.. It'll be fine. let them work it out.

The warranty staff at BMW is pretty generous for the most part. My TFT was apparently throwing trouble codes that were NOT visible to me at all. At my first service- the late great Stuart Beatson up at Morton's finds me in the showroom and says that their OBD laptop picked up 212 trouble codes that just said "TFT issue". No visible flags, and no real obvious issues either other than the crap software version that it came with. Like everyone else at the time- the wifi map would not stay connected. The tech cleared the codes, rode the bike around for like 30 minutes- checked again and found no codes.

The warranty staff said to replace the whole TFT anyway. Which they did. They showed no interest in sending me home to see if it happened again, etc.. At my next service- they replaced it and also loaded the newest software at the time- no questions asked.

Last edited:
At first I thought you meant that just the wonder wheel was not working, app issue, etc.. but I see it's the entire thing? Sounds like just a bad connection or bad circuit board. I see 3 thick wires (or thick conduit anyway) coming off of mine. No idea if the wires contained within the 3 items ultimately join up into a single plug or what, but this definitely sounds pretty flukey and rare to me. Hell it could have been a bad routing job causing wires to be pulled loose underneath there just by cycling the handlebars hard L/R.. It'll be fine. let them work it out.

The warranty staff at BMW is pretty generous for the most part. My TFT was apparently throwing trouble codes that were NOT visible to me at all. At my first service- the late great Stuart Beatson up at Morton's finds me in the showroom and says that their OBD laptop picked up 212 trouble codes that just said "TFT issue". No visible flags, and no real obvious issues either other than the crap software version that it came with. Like everyone else at the time- the wifi map would not stay connected. The tech cleared the codes, rode the bike around for like 30 minutes- checked again and found no codes.

The warranty staff said to replace the whole TFT anyway. Which they did. They showed no interest in sending me home to see if it happened again, etc.. At my next service- they replaced it and also loaded the newest software at the time- no questions asked.

My TFT was also replaced just like yours, error codes in the hundreds, I never noticed anything. They ended up wiping all the software, it was a 10 hour install. My GS911 didn't show any error codes so I have not clue just what my dealer told me. They spoke with the mother land and followed their direction.

A day after a super soaker rain while out west I had the same thing happen to my 22 RT I was close to Sturgis Motorsports and took it there. They figured a short in the favorite button bank linked to the radio which mine has the radio prep only. They disconnected the favorite button bank and the left hand controls returned. I being on a time crunch accepted it for what is was and headed home.

I returned the bike to my dealer when home. They reconnect the favorite bank and everything worked like it should and has since. :dunno

Marty

Then I noticed the wonder-wheel wasn't working, along with all the switches on the left handlebar, high-beams, turn indicators, windscreen up/down. I turned the bike off, hoping to reboot it, but no luck. The ride before, was all normal.

I called roadside assistance and now the bike is at the dealer. Has anybody had this issue also???

Thanks,

I've heard of a few people with bad switchgear that needed to be replaced. Usually it was the wonder wheel side. I don't remember any on a new bike.
It's good to know Roadside assistance will pick up a bike at your home.
I was thinking they would only rescue the bike unless you were away from home.

Not only did they tow my bike to the dealership (although three hours later), they offered a Uber for me to go pick it up.

Before the tow arrived I pushed it out to wait and decided to fire it up and "Wah-Lah", no more Gremlins??? WTF!!!

The dealer said they'd check for faulty codes, software updates and also look into the Horse-Crap AM and XM antenna issues, that keep losing the signal.

Steve

Before the tow arrived I pushed it out to wait and decided to fire it up and "Wah-Lah", no more Gremlins??? WTF!!!

]

When I had a 2011 K1300S the left side switchgear started to act up on a trip. The problem was intermittent.
BMW had a technical campaign for bad switchgear so I was able to get new left and right switchgear.
We also got the switches replaced on Debbie's K1300S.

When I had a 2011 K1300S the left side switchgear started to act up on a trip. The problem was intermittent.
BMW had a technical campaign for bad switchgear so I was able to get new left and right switchgear.
We also got the switches replaced on Debbie's K1300S.

I hope it's something simple too.

Steve

I just returned from the dealer. They found nothing wrong with the AM and XM antennas, and no problems with the left side handlebar switches.

While I got my gear on, I started the bike and turned on the XM radio, thankfully the station was going in and out, I got the service advisor and showed him, and bewilderment was the look on his face. Two minutes before he was telling me how there's nothing wrong, and I haven't even moved the bike and it's still F_ _ _ed Up. It's blatantly obvious the mechanic never rode the bike, incredible.

I'll call BMW tomorrow and see what happens.

Steve

Replacement XM Antenna

I just returned from the dealer. They found nothing wrong with the AM and XM antennas, and no problems with the left side handlebar switches.

While I got my gear on, I started the bike and turned on the XM radio, thankfully the station was going in and out, I got the service advisor and showed him, and bewilderment was the look on his face. Two minutes before he was telling me how there's nothing wrong, and I haven't even moved the bike and it's still F_ _ _ed Up. It's blatantly obvious the mechanic never rode the bike, incredible.

I'll call BMW tomorrow and see what happens.

Steve
Ask your service advisor or mechanic to replace the XM antenna in the mushroom with the one used on the K1600 models since around 2013. It fits in there fine and connects to existing wiring.C6E4ACA2-D01E-4583-9C57-A1B3877D40F7.jpg

Ask your service advisor or mechanic to replace the XM antenna in the mushroom with the one used on the K1600 models since around 2013. It fits in there fine and connects to existing wiring.View attachment 90765
Thanks for the picture, I've sent them this before, but they need me to call BMW again, so it will be covered under warranty. Getting the run around.

Steve

Not only did they tow my bike to the dealership (although three hours later), they offered a Uber for me to go pick it up.

The dealer said they'd check for faulty codes, software updates and also look into the Horse-Crap AM and XM antenna issues, that keep losing the signal.

Steve

2022 R1250RT: I had the exact same thing happen on a ride yesterday. Rode 2 hours with no problems. Stopped for a break, then the gremlin hit - nothing on the left side worked. Rode another hour and stopped for another break. After 15 minutes, got back on, and voilà all functions working again. Stayed working for another hour and finished for the day. I called my dealer, Pensacola Motorsports, and they said that there was no recall on this type problem. Wait and see if it comes back.

For mine the wiring was tight on the left side, and pulling on the connection. I'm not sure how they freed it up, but no problems since.

Good luck.

Steve

Up date to my previous post.

So weeks after my issue out west and my dealer checking the bike I had another issue... this time the heated seat and grip selection was changing temperature settings and even switching off and on itself.

Not much rain but damp. Both heated seat and grips are programmed in the favorite buttons.

Back to the dealer...changed out the favorite button bank and that seems to have fixed all the issues with the heated seat, grip and loosing the left hand controls.

Marty

Up date to my previous post.

So weeks after my issue out west and my dealer checking the bike I had another issue... this time the heated seat and grip selection was changing temperature settings and even switching off and on itself.

Not much rain but damp. Both heated seat and grips are programmed in the favorite buttons.

Back to the dealer...changed out the favorite button bank and that seems to have fixed all the issues with the heated seat, grip and loosing the left hand controls.

Marty
Always nice when there is a follow up letting us know how you made out. :thumb
OM

Back