• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2018 R1200RT - New Owner Questions

jbtex

My wife and I are the happy owners of new old-stock 2018 R1200RT, which we picked up Friday last week. Amazing machines and intended to be the last bikes we will ride and own. :)

I am the type of person to dig into manuals and learn what there is to learn about anything we use. However, this may be a running list of questions I somehow missed answers for, or that may not even be in the manual.

Here's the first one:

Yellow Icon Next to Gear Indicator
I believe this has something to do with the bike letting me know when it might be a good idea to shift into the next higher gear. I may have accidentally turned it on in the bike's computer setup, but I cannot find anything in the manual stating what it actually is and does. Any input is appreciated!

Definitely can be turned off at one of the menu pages.
I believe this has something to do with the bike letting me know when it might be a good idea to shift into the next higher gear. I may have accidentally turned it on in the bike's computer setup, but I cannot find anything in the manual stating what it actually is and does. Any input is appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Definitely can be trained off at one of the menu pages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't necessarily want to turn it off. [emoji4] I'm looking for a description of what it actually is. I assume that it's a visual shift suggestion. Am I on the right track?

Not sure exactly where you're looking. It wouldn't be item 9 on page 23 of the owner's manual would it? That indicates that the "Hill Start Control" function has been activated which engages the rear brake when one is stopped.

More importantly, welcome and enjoy your new scoot!

There was an earlier thread that described this as a "you can shift up now" signal intended to maximize fuel economy. It seemed the consensus was it was signaling to shift pretty early for most folks normal riding.

Not sure exactly where you're looking. It wouldn't be item 9 on page 23 of the owner's manual would it? That indicates that the "Hill Start Control" function has been activated which engages the rear brake when one is stopped.

More importantly, welcome and enjoy your new scoot!

Yup, got that one. That circled "H" is clear. It's the yellow up arrow that displays when riding in that same spot as the Hill Start Control.

And thanks for the welcome to this section of the forum. I've been hanging out over on the Oilhead section after purchasing my '04 R1150R in October last year. Good to be here. [emoji4]

There was an earlier thread that described this as a "you can shift up now" signal intended to maximize fuel economy. It seemed the consensus was it was signaling to shift pretty early for most folks normal riding.

That's what I assumed. And I agree that it seems to be a bit too suggestive in how it thinks when to shift. I noticed on a number of scenarios being in 4th and it indicating to go into 5th, which would have resulted in the wrong gear for the speed I was going.

Strange that the manual doesn't mention anything. Could be I missed it though.

Geeze; I'm embarrassed. I've had my RT less than a year and I'd completely forgotten (blanked it out?) about this. I turned off the shift indicator the first week I had the bike and haven't given it a thought since then.

To turn the shift indicator on or off:

1. Page through the menu button (Item 8 on page 15 of the owners manual) until you get to the "Settings" menu.

2. Roll the wonderwheel down to the "Vehicle" line on the menu and bump the wonderwheel to the right to select that page.

3. On the "Vehicle" page roll the wonderwheel down to the "Shift indicat." and bump the wonderwheel to the right to select that page.

4. Roll the wonderwheel to toggle between the "Off" and "On" setting as desired.

5. Bump the wonderwheel to the left to exit the menu. Alternately you can hit the "Favorite" spot on the top of the menu button to exit.

It's not you! I can't find this in the owner's manual either.

Don't worry, be happy!

My wife and I are the happy owners of new old-stock 2018 R1200RT, which we picked up Friday last week. Amazing machines and intended to be the last bikes we will ride and own. :)

I am the type of person to dig into manuals and learn what there is to learn about anything we use. However, this may be a running list of questions I somehow missed answers for, or that may not even be in the manual.

Here's the first one:

Does your RT have the Shift Assist Pro?

Geeze; I'm embarrassed. I've had my RT less than a year and I'd completely forgotten (blanked it out?) about this. I turned off the shift indicator the first week I had the bike and haven't given it a thought since then.

To turn the shift indicator on or off:

1. Page through the menu button (Item 8 on page 15 of the owners manual) until you get to the "Settings" menu.

2. Roll the wonderwheel down to the "Vehicle" line on the menu and bump the wonderwheel to the right to select that page.

3. On the "Vehicle" page roll the wonderwheel down to the "Shift indicat." and bump the wonderwheel to the right to select that page.

4. Roll the wonderwheel to toggle between the "Off" and "On" setting as desired.

5. Bump the wonderwheel to the left to exit the menu. Alternately you can hit the "Favorite" spot on the top of the menu button to exit.

It's not you! I can't find this in the owner's manual either.

Don't worry, be happy!

Thanks for augmenting the manual with those instructions! I shall print them and tape them to the manual! :p

From observing how it suggests to shift, I might turn it off as well.

Yes, both of them have it. I wonder if that shift indicator works with the Shift Assist Pro.

Thanks for the info. Mine has the SAP, too, and I have not seen the arrow (guessing) in the spot where the "circle H" is on the dash. I think it was never turned on. It may take me a while to get around to messing around with the menu. In fact, last Sunday I just got around changing the clock for Daylight Saving time. HA

Besides, I doubt seriously I would ever use it. I just love the sound of that exhaust!

In fact, last Sunday I just got around changing the clock for Daylight Saving time.QUOTE]

Although extravagantly expensive, one of the many nice things about the Navigator VI is that it switches itself and the bike to and from Daylight Savings Time automatically.

Although extravagantly expensive, one of the many nice things about the Navigator VI is that it switches itself and the bike to and from Daylight Savings Time automatically.

And it changes the time when you cross a time zone after your first restart.

Don't necessarily want to turn it off. [emoji4] I'm looking for a description of what it actually is. I assume that it's a visual shift suggestion. Am I on the right track?

It's an indication of how to achieve best fuel economy.

Two effects

keeps rpm low
keeps throttle open wider, obviating pumping losses

First appearance I'm aware of was mid-1980s VW ... or mid '70s ... Rabbits.

Two effects

keeps rpm low

First appearance I'm aware of was mid-1980s VW.

Ikcrhis is right on; the indicator is to achieve best fuel economy.

I would respectfully suggest amending item 1 to read:

keeps rpm low, minimizing rotating friction losses

Two effects

keeps rpm low

First appearance I'm aware of was mid-1980s VW ... or mid '70s ... Rabbits.

Ikcrhis is right on; the indicator is to achieve best fuel economy.

I would respectfully suggest amending item 1 to read:

keeps rpm low, minimizing rotating friction losses

Thanks for the explanation. Makes sense. As an indicator it is helpful, although I suspect that we'll still want to add a healthy dose of common sense when relying on it.

For example, I was in 5th gear and the indicator suggested to shift. However, that would have felt like the wrong choice given the speed I was going.

Would have been great to read a bit more about it in the manual, sort of from an engineer's perspective why BMW decided to include it. :)

Back