• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2009 R1200RT Electrical Issue

How exactly would that happen?

The ZFE doesn't control the current draw (aside from it cutting it off if it sees really excessive draw - ie - a short circuit..) - If you hook the same bulb up across the battery - it will light up just fine, and draw the current calculated by Ohms law. The battery is capable of supplying lots of current, way more then the bulb will draw.

The reason for the bulb blowing when the voltage exceeds the correct value IS excessive current - but that current happens because of Ohms law.. without the increase in voltage, the current draw of the bulb will remain the same.

http://www.the12volt.com/ohm/ohmslaw.asp

http://www.the12volt.com/ohm/ohmslawcalculators.asp <-- a very useful website for calculating the size of the fuses you should be installing in your auxiliary circuits..

What he said, the ONLY way to get more current through a bulb is to increase the voltage. Yes in a series circuit if you short one of the bulbs, the other will get MORE voltage, and pass more current, but Christmas lights are about the only common use of series lights. Vehicle lights are NOT generally in series.

I vote voltage regulator too. The only other thing I have seen is an intermittent battery connection, that lets the voltage surge, before the regulator can react.

An alternator by itself can produce very high voltage if not "throttled" by the regulator, or not buffered by battery capacity.

BUT - the bulbs aren't connected with a resistor. They are rated for 12.6V (ie - battery voltage). I still fail to see any way this could happen.

Frankly, me neither without seeing the bike and the add-ons it had installed. Just take what I said as food for thought and not too serious other than that. I haven't designed the electronics.

Back