• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2004 R1150RT Pops, no power, & engine quits

neilg

I own a 2004 R1150RT with 17,500 miles. Up until today it was running & starting well. Today as I accelerated from a stop light between 1st & 2nd the bike "pops", barely runs - just enough for me to get into a parking lot, then it quits. Trying to start it again the engine catches a bit but won't run. It is getting gas. I'm not sure if this "pop" was actually a backfire, it sounded more like POOF than a gunshot. No oil leaks & the exhaust is clean.

Background on the R1150RT - it sat in the previous owners garage for years. I bought it this spring and had my dealer fix it up & get it running. The engine itself didn't require any work (...yet) - He did a compression check and all was well plus it ran.

Any thoughts? I'll be taking it back to the dealer but could use a little background knowledge on what to expect. I love this bike and am determined to get running reliably.

Thx, -Neilg.

It sounds just like one of the hoses inside your tank has split. You can test that pretty easily. Separate the upper QD (upper quick disconnect above the right throttle body beside the frame), push in the check valve on the left hand half (male QD) and turn on the key. You should get a strong flow of fuel for the two seconds that the pump runs.

Here's more detail: http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=838585#Post838585.

When these bikes sit for years the gas gets stale, and that causes the rubber bits to deteriorate. In some cases you have to replace everything inside the tank which gets pretty expensive. A ruptured tank hose is a strong possibility in this case.

A fuel pressure test will show this, and the dealer can do that easily.

Thanks for the advice... I'm hoping it is a split hose - much better than something inside the engine. Btw, even my harley friends at work think this is a fuel pump problem. Maybe these bikes are more similar than different!?
-Neilg.

It sounds very similar to a burst hose like I had in my 1996 1100RS. It was difficult to see, but in the end, I couldn't get enough fuel pressure to keep the engine running past idle. And it was a rough idle at that.

IMG_5783.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just sold a 2005 with 10,000 miles on it. The U-shaped hose split on the new owner’s ride home. Power reduction but not catastrophic, he dealt with it and I’m sending him a care package. Figure the mileage and you’ll know that the fuel wasn’t always fresh no matter how good the storage conditions were. I really do believe it’s the old fuel that does it. Bikes with more miles don’t have this.

This bike was garaged in the best conditions imaginable.

Back