• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

OK I did a bonehead thing: A ride on my R1150RT with Adventure bikers.

Good news....maybe. Bombar's Beemers finally got to my head & found a leaky exhaust valve seat. They cut it & cleaned it up & said it now checked out with the vacuum test. Do you think this could be my problem? $210 it cost me to find out. Well, plus a head gasket & a new cam bolt.
I'll report back after I get it put back together & test it.

Good news....maybe. Bombar's Beemers finally got to my head & found a leaky exhaust valve seat. They cut it & cleaned it up & said it now checked out with the vacuum test. Do you think this could be my problem? $210 it cost me to find out. Well, plus a head gasket & a new cam bolt.
I'll report back after I get it put back together & test it.
Would certainly explain the compression breakdown and poor running if it was a really bad seat imho.

Waiting for my dealer to get in the head gasket & cam bolt I ordered. Maybe tomorrow. We sold our home & are moving to our new one. My Beemer must be reassembled before it is moved. My tools & Beemer may be the last things to be moved. :gerg

Got it back together. First start: pretty quick.. a bit of back fires and difficult to run on choke but I rolled out and went for a ride. Ran pretty good although it is louder because I don't think I got a good seal on my header pipe. Once running it seems to idle OK. Sounds better.
Probably because its louder something tells me all is not right yet.

This is all in the mist of moving and that doesn't help. Spent the weekend emptying my house & we're not done. Moving is definitely a bitch!

Does anyone know if there is a gasket behind the header pipe on my R1150rt? Might explain why my exhaust is so loud.

Finally getting serviced

Well? After the tech did all he knew (40 yrs exp) he suspects the hall effect sensor. After 700 some bucks next week we'll find out if he was right. I hope he is.

Runs better....but

Well? After the tech did all he knew (40 yrs exp) he suspects the hall effect sensor. After 700 some bucks next week we'll find out if he was right. I hope he is.

So the shop calls me & said that after installing the hall effect switch it runs better.....but still misses. They found now a bad coil and said they put a used one in from another bike and it runs perfectly. So I order a new coil and he said that will be quick to install and I should have it back this week. So? Did I have a bad hall effect switch? A coil AND a bad hall effect switch? A guy at work told me to ask for my bad hall effect switch because I want to take it home and bench test it. I'm going to pay them nearly a grand for replacing the hall effect and $150 coil. What do you guys think?

New engines "generally" run better in a number of ways than the old. When they get out of whack, it's usually a time consuming problem, especially as the "parts" age.
Your close to a pro at this now, good for you.
OM

So the shop calls me & said that after installing the hall effect switch it runs better.....but still misses. They found now a bad coil and said they put a used one in from another bike and it runs perfectly. So I order a new coil and he said that will be quick to install and I should have it back this week. So? Did I have a bad hall effect switch? A coil AND a bad hall effect switch? A guy at work told me to ask for my bad hall effect switch because I want to take it home and bench test it. I'm going to pay them nearly a grand for replacing the hall effect and $150 coil. What do you guys think?

As you probably know, that's the million dollar question in most mechanical fix situations: How much time do you spend trying to nail down the exact issue, versus just replacing ("shotgunning") parts that are found to be faulty, or at least seem to be "off" a bit?
Applies to every fix from the seemingly simplest to the most complex. Just a question of some relevant expertise/experience, tools, luck, cost of parts, and cost of labor.
But you do have to wonder whether they should have "shotgunned" that hall sensor the way they did. Not throwing rocks, as there may have been perfectly solid evidence involved, but I'd be real curious about that, given the cost....

I just read your thread today. It was a great read, and thanks for sharing. I was nervous when you started taking the cam bolt loose. Your talk of the impact gun brought me down "nightmare lane". I saw the black plastic shoot out the side as I banged away with the impact, never thinking to heat it first. I'm glad you're bike is together again. There was a lot of info shared here.

sure nice to have my sweet R1150RT back!

I just read your thread today. It was a great read, and thanks for sharing. I was nervous when you started taking the cam bolt loose. Your talk of the impact gun brought me down "nightmare lane". I saw the black plastic shoot out the side as I banged away with the impact, never thinking to heat it first. I'm glad you're bike is together again. There was a lot of info shared here.

It just runs so fine. Now, if the autos that run stop signs would quit making my heart skip a beat it would be nice. 2 on the way to work the other day.

Plan to go to the Beemer of the Blue Grass camp event in Frankfort KY Sept 11th. Hope to see some of you there.

Kutter

Back