• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2003 650 dakar

2slowwheels

What to look for when I go to see about buying a 2003 650 Dakar with 27,000 miles. I'm pretty familiar with airheads and oilheads but ignorant of the early singles. Asking $2,300. Thanks

I can't help you really, but I've always liked the bike. If you do buy it, let us know how you make out :thumb
OM

Inquire if there has been a problem with: the stator? The water pump? The cooling fan? None are huge deals but worth checking.

I recently acquired a 2006 and overall I'm happy with my purchase, similar mileage too.
Some of the items needing attention are rear shock condition, nice and shiny or pitted and leaking? expensive and quite a job to replace.
Is there is any light damage to the left panels of the faux tank, this is covering the radiator thermostat housing and fill. It is really close to the panel and if the bike is dropped can do damage to the radiator.
There is a small weep hole under the water pump that should be checked for signs of oil/coolant. It is under the left side of the engine. Always good to check F650.com for great detail of what you are looking at.
Is the seller open to questions? Do they have good history with the bike? These are just from personal searches looking for my own thumper. I hope it helps give you some of the hard expensive jobs to avoid.
Best of luck. There are plenty of good examples out there.

Jan

My '03 F650GS had around 32K miles on it when I bought it a year ago. Here is what I missed at the dealership:
  • A dry battery was the root cause of occasional starting problems. Added distilled H2O and the problem was resolved.
  • The clutch cable is probably original and needed adjustment to ease shifting. Now that I'm at 41K miles I should probably replace the cable.
  • Small oil leak appeared a week after purchase. All the bolts on the bottom left of the engine case were loose. Once tightened the leak went away. See my Missing Bolt post.

Also, check the chain and sprockets for signs of proper maintenance and adjustment. If the chain is dry and has more than 1" slack without any additional room to adjust the rear wheel it may need replacing.

Most reliable engine

I am on my second 650GS. When I was close to buying my first one, I found myself at a BMW "event" which was also attended by a former president of BMW Motorrad. I chatted with him for a while and shared with him my interest in the 650. He offered as an aside, that "the 650 single is the most reliable engine that BMW has ever sold". He didn't say ever "built". Interesting eh?
I have been very pleased with my 650's, '05 Dakar and '13 Sertao. I came off of an '00 1150GS which received many miles of my serious backroad abuse without major issues. The 650's have taken it just as well. The only reason I switched to the Sertao was that the Dakar got totaled by a four point buck! Photos

Back