• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2002 R1150RS Fairing Variations

eyrepb

Hello,
I recently started riding again, after several years of various sport-tourers, including an '88 RT some years ago. I came across subject bike, 47K mileage, with several upgrades at a great price, and could't resist. Love the bike! When I google the bike images, I see both short fairing (like mine) and more so, the full wrap fairing on most others (see pics). Would someone please explain the difference between the two fairing styles?
TIA.
/r
Brad
BMW24-2.jpegbmw24.jpeg

Last edited:
Hello,
I recently started riding again, after several years of various sport-tourers, including an '88 RT some years ago. I came across subject bike, 47K mileage, with several upgrades at a great price, and could't resist. Love the bike! When I google the bike images, I see both short fairing (like mine) and more so, the full wrap fairing on most others (see pics). Would someone please explain the difference between the two fairing styles?
TIA.
/r
Brad
View attachment 92377View attachment 92376

IIRC, the RSL version was discontinued after around 1996/7. Anecdotally, some of those models caught fire, after the owners left them idling too long.

IIRC, the RSL version was discontinued after around 1996/7. Anecdotally, some of those models caught fire, after the owners left them idling too long.

As in went back in house to get gloves or something. Phone rang. Long conversation. Bike overheated. Fairing caught fire. Fuel caught fire. Garage caught fire. House caught fire. Owner sued BMW.

As in went back in house to get gloves or something. Phone rang. Long conversation. Bike overheated. Fairing caught fire. Fuel caught fire. Garage caught fire. House caught fire. Owner sued BMW.

I wasn’t aware of any incendiary litigation.

The RT version had the same lower fairing around the engine. Don’t remember stories of them catching fire.:scratch

Gotcha. I got the original ‘94 R1100RS, no lowers and a good all around bike. As an aside, I like seeing more of the engine block. Just about all BNW’s are good bikes, they all have nuances that can irritate us. :dunno

Barry,

Definitely agree to the robustness of the oilheads. My 2000 RS just rolled over 95,000 “relatively” trouble free miles. Lots of tires, brake parts, fluid changes and fork seals. But, the only large issue was a clutch replacement due to oil contamination on the disc.

The bike starts, rides and performs wonderfully.

These bikes may get as endearing as the BMW airheads, someday.
John

My ‘94 model clutch gave up the ghost returning from the Missoula National, I believe it was ‘98. Got the work shop manual out to find out the about changing out the clutch. What!?; break the bike into, what the &$@//¥! Got the clutch and whatever else I needed. Got over the shock, broke the bike into and got the job done. Who thought this up. Any way it all worked and the bike ran great, when it was all said and done.:brow I like the bike as is, but I think it should have had 100hp from the beginning. :nod

Maybe the RSL was sold in the 1150 format in other countries. The first pic pretty clearly shows one. I don't remember any in the US.

Back