• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2001 R1150GS coding plug/Af-xied

mckgtrgs

i have recently acquired this 01 GS and have been spending a good deal of time and monies to get it the way i want it. i have recently purchased the Af-Xied and the new EV14 injectors to improve smoothness and possible low range torque. i have just realized that this 5th owner machine does not have a coding plug in place. i believe that i have read in other posts that with out the coding plug it goes into a default type mapping and the Af-xied would not be of any use. i have reached out to the local BMW dealer here in Nashville and the parts person is of no help. Does anyone know of a dealership that wouldnt need the part i dont have to get the part i need. (if i had it i wouldn't need it)........so my question is for a dealership or a place to get a coding plug for this bike without having to provide one for reference. Thanks for any and all input. Also, correct me if i dont need it in the first place, but i believe i do. thanks! If this sounds winie my apologies, love this machine and the way it handles and rides, it's the lack of local support that gets me in this case. Good Riding!

Ultimately, the coding plug depends on the country that the "build" was intended for, and which exhaust it has.
From the MAX fiche, your plug should be p/n 06 61 36 8 366 282, golden brown in color, $9.

Paging Roger04RT for confirmation...:thumb

If you want to experiment (usually a waste of time for these), here's a picture; sorry I forget the source (probably this forum!):
CCPSettings.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks! looks like a jumper from 30 to 87 is the same as the cube. I Will wait and see if Roger has a different opinion. i found a pdf on the internent that appeared to have all 4 legs connected but that didnt seem right to me. showed 30 as the leg coming from 02 sensor and 87, 87a, and 86 coming from motronic and all tying together in the relay??

Anyway i will wait and see what else develops and try to install with jumper this weekend unless otherwise suggested. Thanks!

Canadian 1150GS's did not come with a coding plug.
I even checked with my dealer regarding my '00

2001 R1150GS coding plub/Af-xied

Thanks again for your expertise. I have a 911, is the steps to determine best coding plug obvious when using diadnostics?
Is it as simple as following the steps it offers? I have only used it to reset service interval on 1600gt.
Again many thanks, Rick

2001 R1150GS coding plub/Af-xied

I forgot to ask, you say I can try it without any plug or jumper. So will the af-xied have data to make adjustments in this case, or must there be a plug/jumper of some sort. Thanks..

THANKS, ROGER! :thumb I'll need to add that note to the collection!

My understanding is that the af-xied is ALWAYS making adjustments - coarse ones initially and finer ones as you add miles.

Thanks Paul, i'm still not clear on the Af-xied working with no Coding plug at all. Roger said in an earlier thread that it was necessary. Than in recent thread of mine said i could run with or without, my bike would run with no coding plug. i guess i will try the jumper from 30 to 87 and install the Af-xied and see how it works. i won't be working on it until tomorrow.
Thanks again and good riding!

Please fully read the link in my earlier post. I own a 2001 R1150GS and I can say for sure that no plug is merely the code 000 and it is a valid code for your bike. In fact it may be the preferred code. Use the auto scan feature of the gs-911 to read what each jumper code combination is for your bike. Here are a couple codes you’re likely to get:

No Coding Plug: R1150 GS ECE Kat (A European 1150GS with Catalytic Converter)

Yellow Coding Plug: R1150 GS US u.TEV (A United States 1150GS with Charcoal Canister and Catalytic Converter)

The remarks in parenthesis are mine.

Either will work with your AF-XIED.

Thanks Roger, I will read it again. I have been reading so much from posts from years ago it just got a little confusing to me. I will post my final outcome when decided. These types of options are new to me even after 46 years off street riding and numerous bikes. Never did any mods or tinkering. Now it seems I have time, ability, and the means to indulge. Again many thanks for your previous research and development.

While they were well intended, there are many threads on the coding plug that have errors, which resulted in me using the GS-911 for the 1150 and actually reading EPROMs for the 1100 to determine the purpose of each coding plug.

On the 1150 the only accurate way to know what a given plug does in a specific bike is to install the plug and read the result with a GS-911.

In case anyone was interested, I installed the af-xied and new matched EV-14 injectors yesterday. No coding plug in place. Started bike and immediately noticed a different sound and smoothness to the engine and exhaust. today I hit the back roads and some twisties for a couple of hundred miles. Found that the bike had taken on a new personality. Before it was smooth and dynamic and very enjoyable to ride, but now it is as if it has had a steroid injection. The performance bump and smoothness is remarkable. There were times when i was cruising and noticed I was at 5 or 6 grand with no peg buzz like before, mind you it wasn't bad before, but now almost non existent. As most others have documented you can shift sooner and run in a higher gear. Significant torque increase all rev ranges. Not saying it has been transformed into a pocket rocket or a torque monster like my K1600GT, but it has been greatly improved, a lot more fun to ride in all aspects. After 150 miles of back roads around my home area I hit the interstate and found it less enemic in sixth gear and twisting the throttle from 55 to 90 quite impressive. Smoother shifts were also evident. There wasn't any popping on decelerating either. Final opinion, this is a must for any bike it was designed for, more than worth the minimal expense and ease of install. Thirty minutes to wire in and replace the injectors.

Back