• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2015 R1200GS Fuel Pump

RadioFlyer

Right2Repair
I just had occasion to assist a fellow in BC as he was returning home to Colorado from Alaska. His bike was stumbling but running well enough to limp along.

The local dealer read the fault codes and was confident that the fuel pump needed replacing. We read the codes once the bike was at my place and the code indicated that the pump had drawn too much current which could be the result of the pump starting to seize or a clogged filter.

In any event BMW only sells the entire assembly - housing cap, filter, pump, fuel level sender and associated plumbling - for a paltry US$526 or CAN$1100. There were none in Canada and the dealer said it would take 2 weeks from Germany. There were four in the US including, ironically, one at the fellow's home dealership in Colorado! The fellow had ordered the part from there and when it arrived we got it installed with the help of some of the local club members.

But the point of this post is to mention that both the pump and the filter are available in the aftermarket and can be replaced at much less cost. Turns out the parts are the same as are found on the F800 bikes with which I am more familiar and had previously done a replacement.

The filter is a Mahle KL 315. If you replace it don't overlook the small o-ring sitting on top which does not come with the filter.

The pump is a Bosch 0 580 107 002. On one of our F800 I had replaced it with a HighFlow HPF-382.

Pump Assembly.jpg

Last edited:
Back