• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1991 K75 brake light blinks 3 times then stays on ?

xcaret

A few weeks ago I bought a real nice 1991 K 75 RT . The seller mentioned that he added something to make the brake light blink 3 times before staying on. It was to be a safety feature ,and he said It could be removed if I didn't like it .
This being my first K series bike I was getting to much information to remember it all.
He mentioned the ABS light stays on at first but then went out when you pressed the button. I notice the red dash ABS light at times stays unlit, but often it blinks 3 times and goes out for 4 seonds or so, then repeats the 3 blinks and gies out again for a few seconds .It does that the whole time I'm riding the bike . It's not that bothersome , but I'd rather it stayed unlit .
Does anyone have any information that can shed light on this ?

This is my first bike with ABS, and I have no idea if the dash light is telling me the ABS is needing attention, or if it's because of the added safety feature that makes the brake light bink . If I knew where it is located I could discnnect it and see what happens .

The brake lights blinking is probably a Signalminder -- if so, it replaced the stock flasher relay under the seat. I had one on my K75, and also have one on my R1100RSL. I think they are great.

Edit: If just the brake light flashes, it could also be any of a number of brake light modulators. A Signalminder will also flash the turn signals briefly.

There is an excellent thread somewhere on here that discusses diagnosing (and possibly resetting) the ABS on a K75. It should be available thru search.

Xcaret,

Welcome to the Forum!

I kind of doubt that your bike has the aftermarket Signalminder, as the primary function of the Signalminder is to cancel the turn indicators. Your K75 came stock with self canceling turn indicators. More likely, is that the previous owner installed a Tailblazer. The Tailblazer (made by Kisan) is a self contained halogen brake light bulb that functions as you describe. When the brake is activated, the Tailblazer will cause the bulb monitor light (the triangle between the high beam and neutral lights on the dash) to mimic the brake light.

The triangle bulb monitor light functions as follows; when you first start the bike, the light will light inicating that the rear light circuits have not been checked yet. To check the lights, you mus activate and release one of the brakes (front or rear) and then the other. If all rear lights circuits are good, the light should go out on non-ABS bikes or start flashing in sync with the ABS fault light (see next paragraph) on ABS bikes. If the light does not go out, it indicates a: bad TAIL light bulb or corroded socket, a bad BRAKE light bulb or socket, a bad front brake light switch, or a bad rear brake light switch.

The triangle bulb monitor bulb also works in conjunction with the ABS fault light (the light to the left of your fuel low level light). The two lights will be flashing in synch once the rear lights pass their test. You then drive off. Once you reach 2-5mph the lights should go out. If not, there is a fault in the brake system. One possibility is a recently changed or low voltage battery that may require that the ABS faults be reset

If the factory Riders Manual is still in the tool tray, side fairing pockets, trunk, saddlebags, or topbox, give it a read. It will tell you all kinds of things about your new bike.

Let us know what you find.

:dance:dance:dance

flashing brake light.

Thanks for all the informatiion. I'll check and remember what the ABS triangular red light does on start up.
Today I left my house and the red light was out. I remembered someone saying something about it being activated once both brakes are applied. I applied both brakes and the flashing dash light started flashing again..
My bike doesn't self cancel the turn lights , I flick a yellow lever on the right grip to cancel.
I wonder if my brake light flashes along with my dash light , I don't ride with anyone so I have not been told i it in fact does . I'll check that tomorrow to . I think I have the sellers email address , I'll call him too.
i

My bike doesn't self cancel the turn lights , I flick a yellow lever on the right grip to cancel.

It takes a little while before they self-cancel, as it's based on distance traveled. You can cancel them manually with the button you described.

I can't quite remember if it's 500 or more meters - Lee will tell us :)

Does you bike have ABS? That will help us further diagnose what may be happening...

It takes a little while before they self-cancel, as it's based on distance traveled. You can cancel them manually with the button you described.

I can't quite remember if it's 500 or more meters - Lee will tell us :)

Does you bike have ABS? That will help us further diagnose what may be happening...

When rolling mine both cancel at about 13 blinks. If stationary they will continue to blink and not cancel.

Unless your odometer is not working, the indicators should cancel, as drneo66 said, after a given distance.

It should cancel after 690 ft at slow speed (under 30mph) or 10 sec. over 30 mph.

This is not meant for normal canceling, just to catch your screw up and not make you look like an idiot driving for miles with your indicator on (which can be REALLY UNSAFE).

Does the light to the left of your low fuel light illuminate when you first start the bike? Does it and the bulb monitor light follow what I explained in my previous post? Do both lights go out as you ride away? Does the bulb monitor light come back on in a flashing mode after you are riding? If you press the ABS switch will the light stop flashing for about 10 min. And then start flashing again?

If all of the above happens in that order, you have an ABS fault which might be cleared by reseting the ABS. Or you might have an ABS fault that needs repair.

:dance:dance:dance

Thanks I found the problem

There is an add on called “BackOff” brake light modulator- https://www.signaldynamics.com/01004 .

My brother has one on his Honda. A number of police cruisers similar devices. Maybe your bike has on?

OM

I took a look at what's behind my brake/tailight lens today ,and unplugged a gadget similar to what you mentioned I no longer see the blinking , but can only apply the rear brake now, as I have both wheels off the bike . Tomorrow I should have the new tires mounted and will see more . Thanks .

I took a look at what's behind my brake/tailight lens today ,and unplugged a gadget similar to what you mentioned I no longer see the blinking , but can only apply the rear brake now, as I have both wheels off the bike . Tomorrow I should have the new tires mounted and will see more . Thanks .
:thumb
Not really a problem. I find it really attracts the attention of the drivers behind you. I would keep it. At least you know what it is now.

OM

Back