• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Would Like Advice on iABS System Malfunction

Blueman

2004 R1150RT
59000 miles

Reaching out to the oilhead gurus for guidance on my next steps.

On a recent LD trip I felt the brakes go mushy and the top Brake Failure warning light flashed and the bottom General light stayed on. I had some braking but not the smooth ABS feel. Not knowing what to do I turned around and went back home and took it to the local Indianapolis dealer who very quickly....thank you Tom Wood Powersports..... flushed out the entire braking and ABS system thinking we would go with the least costly approach first. On the way home from the shop the lights went on again and the brakes were grabby. On start up the brake light flashes and I hear the whirr of the ABS system check and when I get over 5 mph the light goes out like it should. I just took if for another ride and for a few miles it seemed fine with light to moderate braking pressure.....no lights came on. Then I applied harder pressure front and rear, there was an audible clunk from the ABS module and the brakes let go and the lights came back. I did that several times. The fault code for that flashing and light combination says "at least one brake circuit is without ABS". I have read about the cost associated with replacing the module with either a rebuilt or new unit but don't see that as an option with the bike only being worth $3,000-4,000. After much reading and research about the iABS problems and looking at several YouTube videos I am 95% ready to by-pass the ABS unit and replace brake lines with SS.

1. Based on the above do you think the module is truly kaput?
2. Is there another path short of replacement I should take before by-passing the unit?
3. Will going "conventional" deliver smooth, solid braking? With the proper pads, calipers and fluid of course!

I do appreciate any advice from those more mechanically advanced than I!

iABS System MalFunction

Did you get any response to your question? Same thing just happened to my '04 RT.
Sam Creasman

I pulled the ABS module out of my 2003 RT because of a non-repairable failure (the body of the module was leaking brake fluid). After converting to "standard" brakes, I like the feel and responsiveness of the brakes much better. They have plenty of power. In fact, the rear had a bit too much power, so I replaced the standard semi-metallic pads with organic (less bite). Now I have powerful, balanced, and predictable brakes.

Back