• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1983 R100 RS Project

Hello all,

Well I went with Twinmax carb tune. $155.00
I spoke with a gentleman named Frank who seemed very helpful.
I ahvce not gotten to it yet. Most likely this Thursday.
In the mean time I have this delema. I can not for the life of me figure out how the little side covers with the R100 RS emblem mount on the bike!
I attached a picture of the front and back of the covers. There seems to be a hook of some sort on the back that has nothing to attach to on the frame of the bike. That I can see.
If anyone knows how to get those mounted I would really appreciate it.
Thanks
Brian

Attachments

• IMG_7561.jpg
    IMG_7561.jpg
    397.6 KB · Views: 116
Hello all,

Well I went with Twinmax carb tune. $155.00
I spoke with a gentleman named Frank who seemed very helpful.
I ahvce not gotten to it yet. Most likely this Thursday.
In the mean time I have this delema. I can not for the life of me figure out how the little side covers with the R100 RS emblem mount on the bike!
I attached a picture of the front and back of the covers. There seems to be a hook of some sort on the back that has nothing to attach to on the frame of the bike. That I can see.
If anyone knows how to get those mounted I would really appreciate it.
Thanks
Brian

Actually I just found it.
It's a rubberband between the covers.
Part # 63 12 1 351 414
On order...
Brian

You found some info. Here's my info as well. You'll need to remove the left side handle to get that cover on.

R100RSCovers.jpg

Either get two of those rubber bands or get the little tiny bungee cords they sell for this. Those things get brittle fail and next thing you know, you're buying a new side cover.

Matt Parkhouse has a method to hold those side covers on written up in the Nov 2006 Owners News...unfortunately that's not online. The left side cover is generally captive with the lift handle. I added a small zip tie on the right side that goes around the frame and also grabs that cover hook. Along with the string I have going between the covers, I've got a backup to the retention of the covers.

Either get two of those rubber bands or get the little tiny bungee cords they sell for this. Those things get brittle fail and next thing you know, you're buying a new side cover.

I like the idea of something else holding on in addition to a rubber band. :)
Brian

I like the idea of something else holding on in addition to a rubber band. :)
Brian

:dunno I use two bungees. 45 years on airheads and haven't lost a side panel yet. The chances of losing both bands at the same time or both bungees at the same time is vanishingly low. :D

are these special bungees or just something small enough to hold the covers on?

They're regular bungees, but they're only a couple three inches long, the stretchy part is maybe a 1/4" in diameter and they have little tiny hooks on the ends. I forget where I got them. Maybe Bob's BMW?

I like shock cord sold at marine stores and stainless hog-rings for making up specialty length stretchable bungee type cords.

West Marine has a good selection- https://www.westmarine.com/shock-cord/

The stainless hog-rings allow custom lengths along with custom loop or attachment variables.

OM

Hello all,

Checking in.
Well I think I have the bike pretty well dialed in. At least I think so for never having owned this type of bike. I have a little over 200 miles on it so far. Just in time to put it away here in New England unbfortunately.
I will probably get a few more short rides in during the day if the temps get up into the 50's. Still have my Triumph to ride as well. Have to flip a coin now when I decide to go for a ride. Tough problem to have... :)
I replaced the OEM sidestand with the Brown sidestand too. That factory sidestand was one PITA to use! Had to partially dismantle the exhaust on the left side to get the old sidestand off but it was worth it.
One thing I'm considering doing is swapping out the 10w oil I put in the forks. I think OEM is 7.5w? I saw some threads somewhere where people used the 10w so I tired that. I'm thinking it's a little stiff.
Anyway, that's a quick job to do in the spring.
I appreciate all of the feedback I received along the way rebuilding this bike.
Thanks again.

Brian

Attachments

• IMG_7591.jpg
    IMG_7591.jpg
    619.7 KB · Views: 49
Hello all,

Checking in.
Well I think I have the bike pretty well dialed in. At least I think so for never having owned this type of bike. I have a little over 200 miles on it so far. Just in time to put it away here in New England unbfortunately.
I will probably get a few more short rides in during the day if the temps get up into the 50's. Still have my Triumph to ride as well. Have to flip a coin now when I decide to go for a ride. Tough problem to have... :)
I replaced the OEM sidestand with the Brown sidestand too. That factory sidestand was one PITA to use! Had to partially dismantle the exhaust on the left side to get the old sidestand off but it was worth it.
One thing I'm considering doing is swapping out the 10w oil I put in the forks. I think OEM is 7.5w? I saw some threads somewhere where people used the 10w so I tired that. I'm thinking it's a little stiff.
Anyway, that's a quick job to do in the spring.
I appreciate all of the feedback I received along the way rebuilding this bike.
Thanks again.

Brian

Brian,
First, your bike is stunning!! Congratulations on such a fantastic job. As to the fork oil, there are no standards to measure fork oil viscosity, so one brand's "10" weight might be 5 weight or 7.5 or ?? in another brand. For that reason I use Mobil1 Synthetic ATF in many of my bikes with telescopic forks because it's usually a suitable weight, it will always be consistent, and I can get it anywhere. However, you may prefer a different weight, so pick a brand you can have reliable access to and stay with them as you try different viscosities. That's worked well for me.

Looks great. What gas cap are you using?

I bought it on Ebay. Half the price of an OEM cap or there abouts. I also didn't feel the need for a locking cap.
It's doing the job.

For BMW R45 R65 R80 R90 R100 Fuel Cap Tank Cover Gas Filler Cap Kit with...
Total: $86.30
Order number: 04-10477-44337
Item ID: 114588719869
Seller: sharkmotor

Back