• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Rider Down

Wow. Bummer. I'll head down there and see her today if she can have visitors. I'll call first.

oh gosh... given the nature of the collision, thank God she was not hurt worse.

gotta go send some cheer me up to kathy and brian. :(

Wow ... from the brief description she seems to be very lucky under the circumstances.

Best wishes for a FULL and SPEEDY recovery

She's in the ICU, so the breaks are apparently not simple ones. I'm going to see her shortly and I will report when I return.

I just sent her an email. What a nice service offered by the hospital!

I hope she has a full and speedy recovery even though it sounds like a long road ahead.

Tracy

Thanks, Marilyn. If she's still in ICU, visitors might be restricted to family only. I think Brian's hanging around, though.

Make sure that boy eats. He's probably been up straight through and hasn't eaten or anything, if I know him.

I posted this info to the Airheads email list, as her husband is active there. Here is part of a response received from another member:

"I would like to add one thing to this. Email, snail mail and good
karmic vibes sent their way will be well appreciated. But Brian has
asked that that they not get any phone calls just yet. He's pretty busy
right now and doesn't have the time to answer all phone calls.

The bike's remains have been recovered by an anonymous book member, so
there's no need for a wrecker service at present."

Well wishes will be sent. I can feel her pain, as that happened to me when I was 16.

Hang in there, Karen.

I'm happy to rerad that a full recovery is expected. I hope it's fast and easy!

Ride safe and ride like they are out to get you because even if they don't realize it, they ARE out to get you. :eek

Glad to hear Karen is on the mend. If I know Karen, she will be back kickin' butts and takin' names in no time!

God's speed,

:thumb

He quit... and I don't think this is enough to drive him back to it...

When I talked to him earlier today, he specifically said he has NOT gone back to smoking AND Karen is currently quitting even though she is medicated and unaware of that fact.

I found being on a ventilator for weeks was enough to get me to quit forever! let's see how she does with just pain meds.;)

Karen Update

Mandy (Pants) and I just returned from a morning visit at the hospital with Karen. She has amazing spirit, and an inspiring attitude. She'll be at Barnes-Jewish for a few weeks I think. Visiting hours once she moves to her regular room are 8 AM to 9 or 10 PM. Her next surgery is slated for Wednesday morning (tomorrow) so if anyone is visiting tomorrow it should be in the afternoon. Brian is here, and two of the sons. The hospital is off Kingshighway at the end of Forest Park. Can't miss it. I-44 or I64 will get you there.

Remarkable woman. Truly.

Vince W.
BMW MOA

I was there when Mandy and Vince were, although they got there earlier. I read an email that Brian sent to RobieTech (I think), which outlined the doctor's report. Ick! The bones above and below her elbow, and above and below her knee were broken and they were compound fractures. Her elbow was described by the doctors as "a mess." Brian said that her elbow, leg, and the bike's jug totaled the guy's car. Both her arm and leg have metal outriggers holding things together. She'll be in the hospital for a minimum of 3 weeks, and she'll be moving out of the ICU to a regular bed as soon as one is available.

Her gear did its job. She has no road rash except a little bit on her left wrist because she had just stopped to smoke and had not put her glove on yet.

She's in great spirits and Brian is doing okay. We're working on getting Brian and the kids a place to stay, if he wants one.

I'll tell you what... Karen looked a heck of a lot better than anyone else in that ICU! That's a place I don't want to be when I get old.

It was such a comfort to hear her joking around and being herself this morning. Keep the good karma and prayers coming, folks. Recovery is a long road ahead...

Get well soon, Karen. What would we do without our Java Lady?

NO! I was really looking forward to riding with her... :(

Happy shes ok!

Man, that really sucks... she lives about an hour away from me... She is a fun person to ride with.

Yes, as Mandy says, send good karma and thoughts Karen's way. And Brian's, too.

For the hospital address, see www.barnesjewish.com. Right now she's in 84 ICU. She said she would be moving to a regular bed as soon as one comes available but with surgery (or surgeries) on the schedule for tomorrow, I wouldn't be surprised to see her stay in the ICU a little longer. She had bones sticking out of her skin and Brian says the docs are paranoid about infection... that's good paranoia.

Back