• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

It's a GiantStampede!!!

Highway 14A: Observation Point

The picture of the Observation Point was taken on June 21, 2014. As you can see, the temperature on top can be a little cool at times.

Is 14A dirt or pavement?

Are these pcitures from 14A? I can't tell if it's dirt or pavement from my maps...
Thanks!
Lisa

In many ways, Hwy 14A over the Big Horns is more fun than crossing the Beartooth Plateau. Instead of tight hairpins curves with slow cars and motorcycles, you have fantastic sweepers and very little traffic. Plus, there miles and miles of fantastic backroads to explore while you're on top. And, the wildlife viewing is outstanding with abundant herds of elk and and wandering moose.

Room Share?

Hi All,
Anyone interested in sharing a room with a non snoring, non smoking, rider from Michigan? I have a campsite on hold and am listed on the rooms for cancelations.
PM me. I did not see a separate board for this.
Rob, Scout6

I noticed the squiggly lines of 14 and 14A on the map and am considering getting off I-90 at Ranchester and taking this more scenic and slightly longer route to Billings. It does look like a fun route.

Harry

Even if you're not coming to the GS Giant's Gypsy Tour you should definitely ride this road.

Be sure to keep an eye out for artesian wells alongside the road. Fill your hydration system with this water, it really good tasting.

Ian

Even if you're not coming to the GS Giant's Gypsy Tour you should definitely ride this road.

Be sure to keep an eye out for artesian wells alongside the road. Fill your hydration system with this water, it really good tasting.

Ian

Thanks, Ian.

I believe I will take the 14/14A route.

I do have a new GS; a bit too new for me to do much off-roading at this time. I also have a Camelbak for hydration.

Safe trip to all!

Harry

Thanks, Ian.

I believe I will take the 14/14A route.

I do have a new GS; a bit too new for me to do much off-roading at this time. I also have a Camelbak for hydration.

Harry - stop in at the Bear Lodge and say hi. I'm rolling in on Saturday 7/18 and everyone else will be there on Sunday PM. We'll be there through Wednesday morning 7/22 after which the Giant Stampede rolls onward toward Billings.

There are a ton of very easy graded gravel *roads* in the area, you might want to give one a try.... this is a great opportunity to learn.

Ian

Harry - stop in at the Bear Lodge and say hi. I'm rolling in on Saturday 7/18 and everyone else will be there on Sunday PM. We'll be there through Wednesday morning 7/22 after which the Giant Stampede rolls onward toward Billings.

There are a ton of very easy graded gravel *roads* in the area, you might want to give one a try.... this is a great opportunity to learn.

Ian

Ian, I see the Bear Lodge is right on the way, so I will try to stop by.

thanks,

Harry

Ian

Coming or going I'm on it!

Prize Alert!

Prize Alert!

What better place to sit than a Kermit Chair while you study your Butler Maps? #giantprizes

kermit_logo.jpg

butler-motorcycle-maps-logo.jpg

The GS Giant's Gypy Tour - Stampede to Billings!

Preview of the ride from Bear Lodge to Billings... 175 miles of pure beauty!

<iframe src="//ridewithgps.com/routes/8938029/embed" height="800px" width="100%" frameborder="0"></iframe>

The GS Giant thanks John Horsley and Dick Russell for developing this most excellent ride. :thumb

10896428_864903695638_3869825020923830678_o.jpg

Thanks to Kbroderick for the most excellent photo.....

oh.... and we cut out this part of the ride!
10557556_864905417188_1573342669452586841_o.jpg

Action needed!!!

If you are attending the Giant Stampede in Wyoming and have not made your reservation with the Bear Lodge, PLEASE DO SO!

Contact info and rates are in the first post of this thread.

I'm at the Elk View Lodge

The Bear Lodge said they were booked a month ago, so now I don't know where the rooms came from. They referred me to the Elk View, so I have a room there.

Just for clarification, when I registered for the Gypsy tour, it stated this included the rally registration also. Is there anything else I need to do?

Thanks

The Bear Lodge said they were booked a month ago, so now I don't know where the rooms came from. They referred me to the Elk View, so I have a room there.

Just for clarification, when I registered for the Gypsy tour, it stated this included the rally registration also. Is there anything else I need to do?

Thanks

There have been a few cancellations that I know of so there MAY be one or two rooms available. I do not know this for fact yet. And the GS Giant registration is something separate from the MOA. Think of it as a rally before a rally. The MOA registration has never been included in the GS Giant registration fee.

I realize the reservation system at the Bear Lodge has been less than optimal however, I am assured they will take great care of us. We will be doubled up on campsites with overflow camping and rooms available at the Elk View. (Please remember that you are paying for your use of the facilities, not the use of a piece of ground to pitch your tent so everyone needs a reservation.) They will be running a shuttle for us in the evening as needed so that no one has to ride after a few beers. If you have any issues making a reservation, please EMAIL me: tracy@novacich.com

I will be on the road in a few days and not necessarily checking this thread or PM's.

Go big!

150 people are gonna go big in Wyoming and more riders will add to that at the rally.

It's not too late to register for the event, but there might be a squabble over numberplates.

Btw, if you're only going to the Rally portion of the event (which is free, thanks to the MOA and the MOAFoundation) it would help the Giants a ton if you also registered ahead.

A little help needed

I am registered for both the Rally in Billings and the Stampede in Wyoming. I have called the Lodge on several occasions and requested a camping space; So far they have only told me they would call with the info - they have yet to respond. I have no idea weather a site has been reserved for me or if I need to make other arrangements. :dunno

As mentioned earlier I have called several times, often no one answers the phone.

No issues with Billings, reservations have been confirmed.

Thank You.

I am registered for both the Rally in Billings and the Stampede in Wyoming. I have called the Lodge on several occasions and requested a camping space; So far they have only told me they would call with the info - they have yet to respond. I have no idea weather a site has been reserved for me or if I need to make other arrangements. :dunno

As mentioned earlier I have called several times, often no one answers the phone.

No issues with Billings, reservations have been confirmed.

Thank You.
Welcome to the forum!
Gary

Back