• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What to do with the Antenna ??

mosrrt

Got a 2015 RT and it has a radio. Ok, but the ugly antenna has got to go.
Any one replaced it with something else or just removed it ?

The times I have had antennas on my bikes, the first thing I did was take them off and replace them with a short 'rubber-duckie' antenna. They come is 'short' sizes. You can get them at any auto part store and onLine. Usually, they come with several bolt size connecting options and you ought to find one to stick on your bike well enough.

I found their reception to be about on par with the long OEM antenna.

The problem I always encounter was that when throwing a cover over the bike, the antenna tends to get bent up and eventually break.

This time, I was lucky enough to find an RT without a radio (the way I wanted it).

Antenna

Check out Amazon.com and search for Shorty antennas. They make several of them that screw right on the replace the stock antenna and cost about 12 bucks. I put one on and it works just as good as the Stock antenna. Looks better too. GT

0c3f24f990818da81a3fb07959859f10.jpg

Ask and ye shall receive!

Has range and/or quality of reception changed?

Couldn't tell you. I use my iPhone for all my music. If it does affect reception I'll swap it back. Provided I ever listen to the radio.

I mean, for $10 and 15 seconds of install time, it's the most can't lose farkle I've ever done on a motorcycle.

0c3f24f990818da81a3fb07959859f10.jpg

Ask and ye shall receive!

I recently researched this.

As your photo clearly shows, the diameter across the threads of the mount for the antenna rod is smaller than the diameter of most aftermarket (and car) antennas. It's 10 mm and I went across to the car side of my BMW dealer and measured a Z4 antenna and that diameter is 15 mm. I think basically no eBay or Amazon blurb indicates the diameter and of course none of the sellers indicate BMW motorcycle fitments. If there's a car with the more "petite" antenna it would be great to know the brand. Having the antenna rod larger than the mount as is noticeable in the photo wouldn't work for me.

If somebody finds or has found a stubby replacement the "correct" size, please post about it.

I recently researched this.

As your photo clearly shows, the diameter across the threads of the mount for the antenna rod is smaller than the diameter of most aftermarket (and car) antennas. It's 10 mm and I went across to the car side of my BMW dealer and measured a Z4 antenna and that diameter is 15 mm. I think basically no eBay or Amazon blurb indicates the diameter and of course none of the sellers indicate BMW motorcycle fitments. If there's a car with the more "petite" antenna it would be great to know the brand. Having the antenna rod larger than the mount as is noticeable in the photo wouldn't work for me.

If somebody finds or has found a stubby replacement the "correct" size, please post about it.

You're right. I guess I'll go put a few wraps of electrical tape around it to smooth out the transition.

I do not use the radio. I just took the antenna off, put it in a clear plastic tube from Ace Hardware to protect it, and put it in the top case, where it will reside. I put an 8mm screw with a rubber grommet in the antenna socket.

antenna replacement

bought a mini antenna for 10 bucks at auto zone. 3.5" part # aw-rmrm by raptor accesories needed adapter that came with it to make it work fitwise it looks and works great no one else had it tried all the parts stores

Replacing the antenna doesn't even make the list of things that I may change.

Pete
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back